Problems installing HP Deskjet 720C

Old July 29th 07, 05:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Graham[_3_]

Default Problems installing HP Deskjet 720C

Hello All,

Just bought one of the above second hand. I run XP and have obviously
installed the driver via XP. Problem here is that I am sending the
printer jobs but they just remain in the queue, never printing!

When I go to Control Panel - Printers & Faxes - Server & Properties -
Drivers Tab it displays that I have installed the 720C driver!

A help in diagnosis may be that when I boot up the New Hardware wizard
commences. I then ask it to find my printer automatically, but it just
searches, and searches, and searches, and sear... (you get the idea!),
and it ends up saying that it could not find the necessary software.
This happens even though the 720C driver is showing under the drivers
tab as above.

I have sent test pages to my 720C, no joy. I have prayed to god
almighty, no joy. I am running your normal serial cable, all
connections have been checked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

Old July 29th 07, 06:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Graham[_3_]

On Jul 29, 6:27 pm, "Michael Grey" wrote:
[...]

Thank You.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know Michael. How can I check for this?

Regards

Old July 30th 07, 12:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Grey[_2_]

When the computer is posting you may have to hit a key,normally the delete
key to setup the computer.
you the navigate to the peripheral section and make sure the serial port has
an IRQ assigned to it.

oups.com...

Old July 30th 07, 06:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Graham" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just bought one of the above second hand. I run XP and have obviously
installed the driver via XP. Problem here is that I am sending the
printer jobs but they just remain in the queue, never printing!

[snip]
I am running your normal serial cable, all connections have
been checked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Deskjet 722 does not have a serial connection, it only has a parallel
(Centronics style) port. Make sure the Centronics or IEEE-1284 cable is
plugged into a proper parallel port. Also check in printer properties
(Start, Printers and Faxes, double click on the Deskjet 722, Printer) that
neither "use printer offline" nor "pause printing" are checked.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old July 30th 07, 10:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Graham[_3_]

On Jul 30, 6:34 am, "Bob Headrick" wrote:
"Graham" wrote in message

oups.com...

Just bought one of the above second hand. I run XP and have obviously
installed the driver via XP. Problem here is that I am sending the
printer jobs but they just remain in the queue, never printing!

[snip]
I am running your normal serial cable, all connections have
been checked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Deskjet 722 does not have a serial connection, it only has a parallel
(Centronics style) port. Make sure the Centronics or IEEE-1284 cable is
plugged into a proper parallel port. Also check in printer properties
(Start, Printers and Faxes, double click on the Deskjet 722, Printer) that
neither "use printer offline" nor "pause printing" are checked.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Hello There, thanks for all of your replies.

I have checked the printer offline & pause printing facilities.

Can someone please advise how I can check that my serial port has an
IRQ assigned to it as mentioned by Michael above, and what exatly I am
looking for. You are talking to a newbie here.

Many Thanks

Graham

Old July 30th 07, 11:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Graham" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 30, 6:34 am, "Bob Headrick" wrote:

The Deskjet 722 does not have a serial connection, it only has a parallel
(Centronics style) port. Make sure the Centronics or IEEE-1284 cable is
plugged into a proper parallel port.

[snip]

Can someone please advise how I can check that my serial port has an
IRQ assigned to it as mentioned by Michael above, and what exatly I am
looking for. You are talking to a newbie here.

It is very important that you do not use a serial port. You need to be
using a parallel port, a serial port will not work under any circumstances
with this printer. The serial port IRQ does not matter as the serial port
is not used. You need a parallel port and a proper cable. What computer
model do you have? What operating system are you using? What is the
marking on the printer cable? What are the markings on the computer port
where the printer cable is attached?

BTW, you can check the printer functionality in standalone mode by turning
on the printer, then press and hold the power button while pressing the
formfeed button four times, then release the power button. This will print
a rudimentary nozzle pattern that can indicate the printer is working
properly. See
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...lang= en#N948