250GB HD under Win 98SE

Old November 21st 03, 04:50 PM
SS

Default 250GB HD under Win 98SE

Can Windows 98SE correctly access a 250GB hard drive that
uses 48-bit logical block addressing, provided that I hook
the drive up through a Promise PCI controller card? I
have purchased a Western Digital 250GB drive and their
recommended Promise controller card, but have yet to open
the drive to attempt installation as I've received very
mixed feedback about what is possible under W98SE with
drives this size. Details regarding any necessary patches
or other isssues to be aware of would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Old November 24th 03, 10:37 PM
Shep©

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:50:27 -0500, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "SS"
wrote :

Can Windows 98SE correctly access a 250GB hard drive that
uses 48-bit logical block addressing, provided that I hook
the drive up through a Promise PCI controller card? I
have purchased a Western Digital 250GB drive and their
recommended Promise controller card, but have yet to open
the drive to attempt installation as I've received very
mixed feedback about what is possible under W98SE with
drives this size. Details regarding any necessary patches
or other isssues to be aware of would be most appreciated.

Thank you

You can try here,
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mrscary/fdisk.htm
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread/t-199.html
If your hardware supports the new larger drives you may get away
without a controller card.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old November 25th 03, 02:22 AM
Andrew

I thought WD included a controller card WITH the retail package for just
this reason. I know their 160GB SE (with the 8 MB buffer/3-yr warranty)
includes it!

Old November 25th 03, 05:13 AM
SS

Yes, they did include the card with a few of their earlier retail drives,
but strangely, the retail version of the 250GB drive comes sans-controller
card. But I've got it up and running now, and all seems to be well. I
broke the drive into 3 (roughly) 80GB partitions and everything is working
going through the Promise card.

Old November 25th 03, 05:29 AM
Wooducoodu

I just installed a 160GB Samsung SP1614N hard drive with windows 98 using
the motherboards primary IDE channel with no problems. I used microsoft's
updated Fdisk, which can partition the drive correctly but just can't
display the size correctly as it's display is limited to 5 digits so it was
showing at something like 15625MBs instead of 156250MBs but I was still able
to partition it into two equal parts which it then did display correctly.
Either way Win98SE had no problems with it.

Limitations of 98SE Mooreslaw General 10 November 14th 04 03:47 PM
2x 250GB serial-ATA in RAID-1 Cuzman General 3 April 23rd 04 08:54 PM
Beware of putting WD Caviar 250GB HDs into external enclosures - high current at spinup Jeffrey Morse General 4 April 22nd 04 04:11 AM
Software compatability WIN 98 and WIN 98SE T General 7 October 14th 03 10:17 PM
120 GB. Will win 98se work ok with this ??? Tony General 4 July 11th 03 02:01 AM