Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update)

Old November 16th 05, 10:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Default Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update)

Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue

Here are the selected compilations of Dell microphone/soundcard issue
posted in the Dell Dimension audio forum. Note that the problem was
reported from the very beginning of the forum establishment in late
1999 and continuing to this day. It makes you wonder if Dell ever
made functioning mic/soundcard.

Despite all the numerous problem reports spanning many years, Dell is
unconscionably not only not acknowledging the problem, but
reprehensively engages in jerking around the customers with the same
runaround tactic over these years. [See the post on (1/29/2002)]

A law firm is on the verge of being retained to file a class action
lawsuit on this issue. If you would like join in the lawsuit or have
relevant information to pass along, please email:

[the last character in name is numeral one]

Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=50332

The link ends by Dell starting a new thread and locking it
so no one could reply, they made it a sticky post for two months
(locked) then they removed the sticky status and the post was
dropped back about 20 pages of posts to HIDE it.

Poor mic pick-up (12/6/1999)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...message.id=422

if this mic is more than 6 or 8 inches from my mouth
at normal speaking levels, it barely picks up my voice.

MICROPHONE=POOP (12/10/1999)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...message.id=495

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL SOMEONE PLEASSSSEEEE TELL ME
HOW TO GET MY MIC TO RECORD?!?!

I am experiencing the same problem and so are many others
if you look around in the DellTalk area. It drives me nuts!

Mic recording low (12/25/1999)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...message.id=848

My mic works but it is low. I have to turn the speakers all the
way up to hear anything recorded through the mic.

There is something very wrong with this Yamaha sound system that
needs to be fixed and from all the people posting here this is
not just an isolated problem. When and how will Dell fix it???

I have had my Dimension XPS T for a couple of months now, and
have the same low Mic volume as you do. I am also getting very
frustrated.

Microphone (5/4/2000)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...essage.id=4894

the mic does not pick up my voice unless I put it
right up on my mouth.

I too am having the same problem, with the same setup.
Apparently Dell needs to take some action on this problem.

Montego II A3D low mic volume solution!!!! (5/8/2000)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...essage.id=4951

There clearly is an issue here - Myself and three collegues all
have the same problem on brand new Montego/Dimension systems.
At the very least the factory settings are not correct and the
user is left fumbling round randomly!

They obviously don't include a mic test before shipping.

Microphone - low input (9/6/2000)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...essage.id=7947

I have to yell into my Dell provided microphone for anyone to hear
me

Just got off the phone w/Customer Service, they told me that
the microphone provided was provided "as a COURTESY"

This is EXTREMELY disappointing, I expect better from Dell.

Unable to record with a microphone (12/7/2000)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...essage.id=9981

I seem to be unable to record anything with a microphone from SB.
Only when I shout really hard I get a fuzzy little noise recorded

Live Value Soundcard: Mic record level too low (1/29/2002)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=21877

I have my Dimension 8200, Win ME, Soundblaster Live soundcard for
two months here is my story.

I discovered that using the creative sound recorder I had to put
the record level on max, select +20% gain in the mixer and put the
mic 3 inches from my mouth or else it wouldnt pick up what i said.

so i contacted Dell tech support they advised me to uninstall the
soundcard and reinstall it. I did that and it made no difference.

They told me to uninstall the windows sound recorder and reinstall
it, that made no difference either,

they told me to uninstall the whole of windows multimedia
I did that and it made no difference

I also hope you find the answer. I too would have liked to use
Netmeeting! I have a 4300 with ME and the same sound card. Same
exact problem. Dell actually sent someone out to install a new
card, no help. I also reinstalled the OS once, drivers twice,
no help.

After trying all the things Dell suggested and that Creative Labs
suggested, Dell sent me out a new soundcard. Didn't make a blind
bit of difference.

Well... technician came and installed new card (same type SB Live
Value! 512V CT4780).... He tried uninstalling, reinstalling drivers
etc.... all the same stuff I have tried before.... still no
better....

Hey !!! This seems to be a DELL age old problem. I have a DImension
4100 with Soundblasterlive 512V and Windows Millenium. I have
exactly the same problems when trying to record.

This system was purchased in fall 2000.... No resolution yet!!! not
a good sign.

I don't want to -eat- this microphone!!!!

Yes! PLEASE let me know if they successfully fix that problem
either through replacement or otherwise! They should just recall
that card and give us something that works if it's just a defective
card because it seems there's a good bunch of us with the same
problem!

XPS GEN 4 - Audigy 2 zs Microphone Too Quiet (1/5/2005)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=55447

I have my mic volume all the way up, the booster on, and its still
way too quiet. I had to practically put the mic in my mouth.

Low Mic Volume on Audigy 2 Zs (2/14/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=55500

I have seen similar problems in the forums without a solution.
Has anyone been able to fix this?

When I plugged a mic into the front panel, the volume is so low
that you have to scream.

I have the same problem with the same computer and the same
soundcard.

SB Audigy 2 ZS GEN4 No sound through microphone (3/11/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=56256

Now a tech is sheduled to come to the house and replace the sound
card. Just what I need a 7 day old system for which I paid extra
for a high end sound card and now I'll have a refurbished one.

As I recall on my Dimension XPST 700r there were issues with that
SB card as well. You would think they could get their act
together.

Confirmed problem with SoundMax integrated audio (5/9/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=57548

I want Dell to fix the problem in my $1500 machine! Now they are
saying it is an O/S incompatibility with the onboard sound and I
should do a PC Restore. Hello? It is still using the system that
shipped with it. XP SP2. If it's incompatible, then this problem
existed from the factory.

A Dell tech wanted to reinstall the multimedia part of xp. When I
asked why, the Dell tech said there's possible conflict. I asked
why then Dell shipped out systems with possible -- known --
conflict.

What's infuriating is Dell techs say they never had calls on
soundcard/microphone problems, but then later they say they had a
couple of calls, like when I asked the Dell tech shortly after the
mumbling.

Saying that there's possible conflict without having dealt with
problem calls meant that Dell knew about the problem before
shipping. Dell techs had to change the weasel, initial "story"
about not having dealt with the problem calls, seeming to give the
impression Dell didn't know about the problem before shipping. But
then that brings up the question: Does Dell test components'
compatibility?

microphone does not work HELP (5/14/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=57668

I just can't believe that I got rammed hard by Dell and didn't even
get a kiss from it !!!

I DARE DELL (5/15/05) [DELETED]
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=57678

I dare anyone from DELL to solve this problem.

Since getting my new system i have correctly connected my
microphone headset to the mic port on the SB card but although
I can hear very well, my voice is very quiet.

Do you know a way to record an outgoing message without "eating"
the microphone?

can't get mic to work on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (5/14/05, 6/3/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=57660

After reading through this forum it was interesting to see how many
problems they have with this board, yet each support tech acts like
it never happened before. They teach Acting 101 at tech school.

can't get mic to work on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (6/14/05)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=58450

It sure isn't yours. It's Dell's problem. It's Dell's
responsibility to fix. Dell put together the configuration. Dell
should have tested it. Dell should have known about the problem.
Again, why the "never heard of" charade even now -- after many
problem reports for a long time!!

Anyone know a good lawyer that likes to do consumer class action
suits?

There are currently two class action lawsuits:

http://www.seegerweiss.com/
http://www.lerachlaw.com/

Is there a fix for Dell's low mic problem? (7/16/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=59038

I haven't seen any fix. It's amazing how many people (including me)
have this problem with Dell computers and Dell seems to be unable
or unwilling to address it.

Microphone on Audigy 2 ZS not recording (8/9/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=59439

I just got my new XPS Gen 5 and can't get it to record any audio
using my microphone.
I have to scream into the microphone

this problem has been posted on this forum for many months without
any resolution.

Microphone - weak input, out of ideas... (8/29/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=60002

Dell tech support insisted I reformat my hard disk and reinstall
everything.

It's really sad to see this problem persist for so long without any
help from Dell Support. If you search this forum, you'll see many,
many posts about this. What's really pathetic is that you were sent
a replacement sound card and told to reformat when Dell should know
by now that it's not just YOUR card that's not performing as it
should.

I am amazed (& frustrated) with the numerous "hoops" that Dell Tech
Support had me jump through over 12 days without ever admitting a
problem.

Your tactic seems to be to "wear the customer out" until he/she
gives up.

Augiby SB ZS microphone problems FIX HERE!!!! (9/9/05)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=60340

I can see it coming, my warranty ends in November 05 and Dell's
gona tell me to pound sand.

I tried an old Yamaha Waveforce 192XG out of my 5 year olds PC and
guess what? It worked.

Now I don't know about you, but that doesn't make me feel good
about the $$$ I spend on my XPS system.

WEAK MICROPHONE + AUDIGY 2 PROBLEM - TRY THIS... (9/18/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=60572

Brand New XPS 600 with Audigy 2 Zs. I have tried every option that
has been suggested on the forums and via Google search. I just
can't get any decent volume from my mic.

Therefore, Madam, I kindly ask that Dell take its responsibility to
make my XPS system (under warranty) fully functional.

I think I have seen every single volume control slider that exists
in the system, XP, Creative, etc.

I just got my machine Friday, an XPS 600 with the Audigy 2ZS with
the same exact problem all of you are having. I can get some mic
volume with everything upped but it is not exceptable.

Well, I just installed my second Audigy 2ZS replacement card (a
refurbished one, according to the package), and not surprisingly
the issue remains exactly the same...

I told the support that another replacment likely wouldn't help,
but what do they care.... He claimed he is not authorized to send
another type of soundcard (and did not want to put me in contact
with someone who was).

I still think they made a change on the card itself to reduce the
mic gain because they had a lot of complaints about
noise/interference in the mic line.

I have been through every switch, slider and control with XPS
Advanced support at least twice. This isn't a user error.

At a Loss!!!! Dimension Audio problems (10/3/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=60815

They had me do the complete restore right away, but the problem
came back within a week or so. They are going to make me do a
complete restore again.

You're joking..... for real????? That's ridiculous !!!! I'm sorry
to hear that, I cannot believe NO ONE can figure out a problem that
many people are having.

Low output from "standard" mic (10/9/05)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=61118

I can't get the mic that comes with the computer to generate much
output.

If you go to Dell tech support with the mic problem and ask if
they've heard of the mic problem, they will most likely say they've
never heard of the mic problem !!

can't get mic to work on Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (10/13/05)
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ssage.id=58450

This is a widespread and continuing problem with the Dell version
of the Audigy 2 ZS sound card. The mic input does not work.

Yet Dell is still bundling these cards with its systems.

Low volume microphone problem -DELL OEM Audigy 2 ZS soundcard
(10/21/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=61522

Apparently DELL conveniently chose to delete the thread of
all customers having the low volume microphone issue on their
newly shipped XPS Gen systems, entitled: Microphone Problems
Listing (10/14/05)

That is to me pretty much confirming the existence of the problem
but not taking the responsibility to address it. Shame on you!

Low Mic Volume? (10/29/05)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...ssage.id=61754

I have read several posts about the low mic volume on Dimension
Desktops with the Soundblaster 24k Sound Card but unfortunately I
haven't found any of them with a solution. Is there to date a
solution for this?

I bought my pc for the purpose of Voice chatting that I use for
business purposes on a daily basis and would really appreciate
any fix for this.

Old November 16th 05, 11:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Class_Action wrote:

SNIPPED

I truly envy you. You obviously have nothing important to worry about.

Bob
Old November 17th 05, 12:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Are you saying that everything else with your Dell is fine?

--
Jan Alter

or

Old November 17th 05, 01:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Three Dell Desktop computers. Gave two to the kids as I replaced mine. All
computers working great. Have upgraded and "downgraded" Definitely no
sound card problems...... Chuck

Old November 17th 05, 01:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:01:02 -0700, Class_Action
wrote:

Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue

Here are the selected compilations of Dell microphone/soundcard issue
posted in the Dell Dimension audio forum. Note that the problem was
reported from the very beginning of the forum establishment in late
1999 and continuing to this day. It makes you wonder if Dell ever
made functioning mic/soundcard.

You have no idea what in the world you're talking about.

Dell has used MANY different platforms in that period of
time. Most of them were industry standard, there was no
difference in the Dell implementation than you'd fine
assembling it yourself or getting it done at a shop, except
in some special cases where the user was particularly
specifying for an unusually well-tuned-towards-audio,
system, in which shielded cabling was used. This is not
normal for any system and thus, it cannot be considered a
defect for Dell to do what everyone else did.

FWIW, Dell does not "Make" mics or soundcards, they use
standardized solutions.

Despite all the numerous problem reports spanning many years, Dell is
unconscionably not only not acknowledging the problem, but
reprehensively engages in jerking around the customers with the same
runaround tactic over these years. [See the post on (1/29/2002)]

What did you expect?

Whiney users need to be jerked around sometimes.
Fact is, anyone who's done a bit of work in analog audio
knows you can't just go stringing cables all over the place
around high speed digital equipment. Not that it's
impossible, or hard, to do, but more expensive.

If you want a more expensive audiophile grade system, you
have to buy that SPECIFIC THING, not a generic Dell, or HP,
or Gateway, etc, system. You can't just go to a shop and
expect anything different either, you will have to clearly
specific your needs and determine whether anyone there is a
competent builder towards the end of analog audio quality.

Poor mic pick-up (12/6/1999)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...message.id=422

if this mic is more than 6 or 8 inches from my mouth
at normal speaking levels, it barely picks up my voice.

GOOD GRIEF!

Did you ever consider that you can't blame an OEM for your
lack of ability to use windows? MIc boost and recording
levels have to be set.

MICROPHONE=POOP (12/10/1999)
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportf...message.id=495

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL SOMEONE PLEASSSSEEEE TELL ME
HOW TO GET MY MIC TO RECORD?!?!

I am experiencing the same problem and so are many others
if you look around in the DellTalk area. It drives me nuts!

There is nothing special about Dell Mic recording. Open the
mixer, select it as the recording source, and get on with
life.

I've snipped the rest, becaue it only serves to show one
central thing- computers are user-configurable and in their
default configuration, they have the "potential" to do many
things, but are not optimized for ALL these things- the user
must configure it. Same thing goes with a home stereo, if
you had it set to record to tape from the radio, then you
plug in a mic, you can't just whine that the mic doesn't
work, you have to reach out a finger and adjust the amp (or
whichever applicable device).

The funny thing is, I wonder how many people ever bothered
to read the manuals or seek basic audio advice on Google.

Old November 17th 05, 02:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Jan Alter wrote:

Are you saying that everything else with your Dell is fine?

I've never had a problem with a Dell (or any other computer) that
couldn't be fixed easily with a phone call or e-mail.

Bob
Old November 17th 05, 05:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

Bob Levine wrote:

Jan Alter wrote:

Are you saying that everything else with your Dell is fine?

I've never had a problem with a Dell (or any other computer) that
couldn't be fixed easily with a phone call or e-mail.

These must not have been Dell Techs:

Old November 17th 05, 05:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

"Charles" cb65ATcamcost.nat wrote (11/16/05):

Three Dell Desktop computers. Gave two to the kids as I replaced mine. All
computers working great. Have upgraded and "downgraded" Definitely no
sound card problems...... Chuck

The same song and dance?

From: "Charles" cb65ATcamcost.nat
Date: 10/26/05

Two desktops, two laptops...no sound problems. In fact no
hardware problems at all. Chuck

Don't believe Dell forum moderator?

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ht=3-16#M48561
DELL-Cody, Forum Moderator:

UPDATE [3-16-04]: Information posted prior to 3/16/04 has been
saved and forwarded to Dell Engineering. Thank you very much for
your assistance in this matter.

Thank you all for your assistance and patience in this matter. I
have requested closure of this case from Dell Engineering,
preferably with some additional data that will explain the problem
and/or any further troubleshooting information.

It does not appear at this time that a hardware fix is available.

For this reason, I am requesting the additional clarification.

Old November 17th 05, 05:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

kony wrote:

Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue

Here are the selected compilations of Dell microphone/soundcard issue
posted in the Dell Dimension audio forum. Note that the problem was
reported from the very beginning of the forum establishment in late
1999 and continuing to this day. It makes you wonder if Dell ever
made functioning mic/soundcard.

You have no idea what in the world you're talking about.

Dell has used MANY different platforms in that period of
time.

So? Is that the cause of low mic volume problem?

Most of them were industry standard, there was no
difference in the Dell implementation than you'd fine
assembling it yourself or getting it done at a shop, except
in some special cases where the user was particularly
specifying for an unusually well-tuned-towards-audio,
system, in which shielded cabling was used. This is not
normal for any system and thus, it cannot be considered a
defect for Dell to do what everyone else did.

FWIW, Dell does not "Make" mics or soundcards, they use
standardized solutions.

Haven't heard of "Proprietary"? Isn't it well known that Dell power
supplies, for example, are compatible only with Dell system?

Despite all the numerous problem reports spanning many years, Dell is
unconscionably not only not acknowledging the problem, but
reprehensively engages in jerking around the customers with the same
runaround tactic over these years. [See the post on (1/29/2002)]

What did you expect?

Whiney users need to be jerked around sometimes.

Even when 'whine' about problems even Dell acknowledged?

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ht=3-16#M48561

DELL-Cody, Forum Moderator:

UPDATE [3-16-04]: Information posted prior to 3/16/04 has been
saved and forwarded to Dell Engineering. Thank you very much for
your assistance in this matter.

Thank you all for your assistance and patience in this matter. I
have requested closure of this case from Dell Engineering,
preferably with some additional data that will explain the problem
and/or any further troubleshooting information.

It does not appear at this time that a hardware fix is available.
For this reason, I am requesting the additional clarification.

Fact is, anyone who's done a bit of work in analog audio
knows you can't just go stringing cables all over the place
around high speed digital equipment. Not that it's
impossible, or hard, to do, but more expensive.

For low mic volume problem?

[...]

Maybe Dell Techs don't either?

Old November 17th 05, 07:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware,creative.products.sound_blaster.audigy

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:53:32 -0700, Class_Action
wrote:

kony wrote:

Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue

Here are the selected compilations of Dell microphone/soundcard issue
posted in the Dell Dimension audio forum. Note that the problem was
reported from the very beginning of the forum establishment in late
1999 and continuing to this day. It makes you wonder if Dell ever
made functioning mic/soundcard.

You have no idea what in the world you're talking about.

Dell has used MANY different platforms in that period of
time.

So? Is that the cause of low mic volume problem?

It is clearly an indication that there is no such thing as a
"Dell low mic volume problem". Rather, there is a "Windows
users don't know how to adjust windows settings, including
MIC volume, problem."

Most of them were industry standard, there was no
difference in the Dell implementation than you'd fine
assembling it yourself or getting it done at a shop, except
in some special cases where the user was particularly
specifying for an unusually well-tuned-towards-audio,
system, in which shielded cabling was used. This is not
normal for any system and thus, it cannot be considered a
defect for Dell to do what everyone else did.

FWIW, Dell does not "Make" mics or soundcards, they use
standardized solutions.

Haven't heard of "Proprietary"?

Yes, now name even one proprietary Dell standard for sound.
I don't think you can, but IF there is one and you name it,
then show it is common across multiple platforms and years
in Dell systems. It isn't. It's not a matter of odds, your
conjecture is simply invalid because you lack the knowledge
to make it.

Isn't it well known that Dell power
supplies, for example, are compatible only with Dell system?

Actually, no.
There were a few that were different, and as with all things
that became quite noteworthy because of the difference.
That didn't make them "many", nor "most" of the Dells sold.

Now explain why you fell a power supply is proof of audio
differences? This is another indicator that you have no
idea, not being able to draw a Dell-specific audio
reference, but then of course you wouldn't, because there is
no Dell-specific reference, just a bunch of Dell owners that
can't change windows settings.

I'm going to hazzard a guess that there are a ton of Dell
owners who would have their text too small if they booted up
their systems at 1600 x 1200 resolution too, but do they
claim Dell is the problem or just change the font size?

Despite all the numerous problem reports spanning many years, Dell is
unconscionably not only not acknowledging the problem, but
reprehensively engages in jerking around the customers with the same
runaround tactic over these years. [See the post on (1/29/2002)]

What did you expect?

Whiney users need to be jerked around sometimes.

Even when 'whine' about problems even Dell acknowledged?

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfor...ht=3-16#M48561

DELL-Cody, Forum Moderator:

UPDATE [3-16-04]: Information posted prior to 3/16/04 has been
saved and forwarded to Dell Engineering. Thank you very much for
your assistance in this matter.

Dell acknowledging a problem does not make it a Dell-unique
problem. It's quite common on integrated audio with
unshielded cables inside a system, and even more common when
the audio codec supply lines aren't filtered with a linear
regulator on the board.

If Dell acknowledges a problem with Outlook Express
infecting window if you indiscriminately open an email with
an attached virus, does that put the blame on Dell? No.

The fact of the matter is, if you want to buy low-end parts
or have certain features, you have to accept the compromises
that come with them. Dont' want to accept that? Fine,
don't, but it makes no difference.

Fact is, anyone who's done a bit of work in analog audio
knows you can't just go stringing cables all over the place
around high speed digital equipment. Not that it's
impossible, or hard, to do, but more expensive.

For low mic volume problem?

Did you measure signal levels?
You write "low mic", but in fact, you have presented no
evidence to isolate the mic as being low volume rather than
some mixer setting, the absence of mic boost activated, or a
driver bug. Dell is not to blame for a buggy driver or
windows setting that needs changed.

Since Dell does not use proprietary audio (including mic),
if your claim is correct you will find evidence of it across
all systems using same hardware, it will not be isolated to
Dell systems. Ironically enough, that also means it's not a
"Dell problem" per se, rather than a supplier's problem. To
suggest that mulitple audio suppliers, year after year,
continually "fix" the audio so the mic doesn't work is
unrealistic. To suggest Dell has hacked windows to degrade
audio is similarly unrealistic. The only area where you
might have the slightest reasonable argument is if Dell had
continually used a defective wiring harness to connect a
front-panel mic input to the sound header, but you make no
mention at all of this, and that possiblity is easily
checked by connecting mic to rear mic port instead of front.

If you want a more expensive audiophile grade system, you
have to buy that SPECIFIC THING, not a generic Dell, or HP,
or Gateway, etc, system. You can't just go to a shop and
expect anything different either, you will have to clearly
specific your needs and determine whether anyone there is a
competent builder towards the end of analog audio quality.

For low mic volume problem?

Have you searched for solutions to just pointed fingers at
Dell, hoping they'll teach you how to use a computer?
That's not an accusation of your actions, it's a legitimate
question as you've not menitoned any kind of troubleshooting
on this at all, only random observations that over millions
of customers, "some", a small population has had an audio
problem or two. Name a part of a computer where not even a
small % out of millions, have had problems.

I have my mic volume all the way up, the booster on, and its still
way too quiet. I had to practically put the mic in my mouth.

Have you tried another mic?
Have you tried same mic with another sound card?
A key point in placing blame is identifying the problem. I
don't see where you've done that, rather a vague "it doesn't
work, fix it Dell". If your system is still under warranty,
AND you've tried all the general audio/mic settings tips
Google can easily find, NOT Dell-related info but rather
general audio troubleshooting, THEN you might have a more
legitimate claim that Dell needs provide some kind of
support. They cannot be expected to configure the entire
system though, if what you wanted was a _non_generic system
configuration then buying an OEM box is the opposite of the
prudent path to take.

Did you try a newer driver?
What, EXACTLY, did you do to troubleshoot this?
Are you sure you have the mic plugged into a mic input or is
it a LINE IN? Forget about what the case might have stamped
on it, or what the manual might say, these things are
written by mere humans. Did you check the motherboard or
audio card manual to determine where the input jack goes?

Does turning on/off the mic boost change the recording level
at all? If you take another sound source, like an MP3
player, with it's volume turned down VERY low, and MIC boost
off, do you get a higher signal strength? Making sure the
input is selected, you could then gradually increase the
player volume and see if it ever becomes loud enough. Does
it?

That would be my first guess, that a lot of people just
plugged their MIC into a line-in jack. LIne-in is not a mic
jack, it's for pre-amp'd sources.

I have been through every switch, slider and control with
XPS Advanced support at least twice. This isn't a user error.

You're better off not having them go through this with you,
as that just limits you to whatever is on their scripted
support dialog, or whatever they can think of at a moment's
notice. You're better off tacking this methodically without
other input to distract your own train of thought because
you are the one with the system immediately in front of you.

I think I have seen every single volume control slider that exists
in the system, XP, Creative, etc.

Creative?

Well that may be part of the problem. Did you try a newer
driver? Older driver? Did you check on where the audio
was interfacing with the card? I mean hardware-wise, not a
windows control panel setting.

I have been through every switch, slider and control with
XPS Advanced support at least twice. This isn't a user error.

I think I have seen every single volume control slider that exists
in the system, XP, Creative, etc.

Well I would hope so, there aren't that many.

The funny thing is, I wonder how many people ever bothered
to read the manuals or seek basic audio advice on Google.

Maybe Dell Techs don't either?

and?
A bit of advice- Buy a OEM system to get something pre-built
with a larger bundle of software than could be compiled for
same $ by buying separate components one-at-a-time.

Don't buy one because you expect premium tech support.
I can appreciate that you want it working, but frankly, it
is impossible for you to have paid enough that Dell could
afford good technicians.

Point is, it might be reasonable to be upset that a part of
the system doesn't work, but continually looking towards
Dell when it's already obvious they aren't helpful, does not
produce the desired result. What do you expect from a
lawsuit? A $9 sound card? That's all it should take if
everything else is indeed set up correctly already.

I think your time is worth more than $9.

so i contacted Dell tech support they advised me to uninstall the
soundcard and reinstall it. I did that and it made no difference.

Did you use a newer / different driver?
DId you open the case and check the cables?

They told me to uninstall the windows sound recorder and reinstall
it, that made no difference either,

Did you mute all other recording sources and where you using
the MIC input on the rear of the card, not the line-in
input?

If so, you need to get in touch with users of this same
Creative sound card because this would be a sound-card
specific issue IF all the other things mentioned do not
cover the problem area. Could be I've missed something,
since it's same situation as a Dell tech has, they are not
in front of your system nor know the full history of it.

they told me to uninstall the whole of windows multimedia
I did that and it made no difference

Is your system now entirely back to the way it was before
you had ever noticed there were any sound problems?
Does the mic still seem to work, just at too low a volume?

If you instead plug the mic into the line-in jack, does it
sound level go down (keeping in mind that again, windows
and/or Creative mixer settings may matter)?

Dell tech support insisted I reformat my hard disk and reinstall
everything.

Of course they did, that is a sure thing- problem gets to
the point where all the cheat sheets have been tried, then
user is instructed to format and start over. Same with all
the OEMs, has been this way for years.

It's not that this is necessary, but rather, a failure to
pinpoint the problem. The check would be whether a static
OS environment is a solution, and in some cases that does
fix things. If you do this, you might consider throwing
another drive into the system and unplugging the original,
so if it doesn't help then you didn't lose but another 20
minutes babysitting the restoration process.