What motherboard for BARTON ?

Old August 27th 03, 04:51 PM
John

Default What motherboard for BARTON ?

I'm upgrading my system and trying to select a motherboard and CPU.
There are many brands to choose from with a plethora of different chipsets.
Recommendations for new motherboard would be very welcome..

I have decided on a Barton 2500 CPU as offering good price / performance.

Motherboard should have:
Maximum overclocking flexibility
On board sound
Preferably CPU temperature monitoring
Flexible bios options
Possibly with on board video (? ?)
Cost should be within the regular motherboard price range, not high end

Is on board video a good idea or not ?

Will be used for calculations. No game playing.

Thanks.

Old August 27th 03, 05:26 PM
Skid

"John" wrote in message
I'm upgrading my system and trying to select a motherboard and CPU.
There are many brands to choose from with a plethora of different

chipsets.
Recommendations for new motherboard would be very welcome..

I have decided on a Barton 2500 CPU as offering good price / performance.

Motherboard should have:
Maximum overclocking flexibility
On board sound
Preferably CPU temperature monitoring
Flexible bios options
Possibly with on board video (? ?)
Cost should be within the regular motherboard price range, not high end

Is on board video a good idea or not ?

Will be used for calculations. No game playing.

Check the Abit NF7 series for best overclocking and reasonable prices. I
personally would never buy onboard video, but that's because I DO play games
;)

There is an Abit NF7-M with a built in GF4 MX. $108 shipped from
www.newegg.com

The NF7, with no onboard video, is $88.

The NF7-S, with SATA RAID support, is $111. All of them have onboard LAN and
audio.

Old August 28th 03, 04:39 AM
Cappy

Soltek Motherboard for AMD Processors, NVIDIA nForce2 (IGP + MCP2), Model
SL-75MRN-L Retail
Specifications:
Supported CPU: AMD Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron processor
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 (IGP + MCP2)
FSB: 333/266/200 MHz, Dual Channel DDR SDRAM @ *400/333/266 MHz
RAM: 3 x 184-pin DDR DIMM, 6 banks up to 3GB DRAMs for Unbuffered DDR SDRAM
Module
IDE: 2 x PCI Bus Master UATA 133/100/66 IDE ports (up to 4 ATAPI Devices)
Slots: 1 x AGP 8X/4X Slot, 5 x 32-bit PCI Bus Master Slots
Ports: 1 x Serial, 1 x Parallel, 2 x PS2, 1 x VGA, 1 x Audio/Game, 1 x RJ45
LAN

All for $96.00 shipped from Newegg.com