Messed up HD, who do I contact?

Old January 20th 04, 07:13 PM
Mike

Default Messed up HD, who do I contact?

A few years ago, I bought an IBM harddrive from a local computer shop.

I believe it is a 41 gig drive.

Now last year it crashed on me.
I formatted it, and it worked fine, but then crashed on me again.
I can hear it click sometimes.

What is IBM's warrenty on harddrives?

Thank you
Old January 20th 04, 08:17 PM
Alex Marsden

ibm is not hitachi (well for storage anyways) if you go to www.hgst.com and
check with hitachis warrenty checker, you can see how long your warrenty
is/was.

Alex

om...

Old January 20th 04, 08:34 PM
Rod Speed

Mike wrote in message
om...

A few years ago, I bought an IBM
harddrive from a local computer shop.

Those aint called deathstars for nothing.

I believe it is a 41 gig drive.

Now last year it crashed on me.
I formatted it, and it worked fine,
but then crashed on me again.

Thats pretty typical with those.

I can hear it click sometimes.

What is IBM's warrenty on harddrives?

3 years for those.

Old January 21st 04, 04:11 AM
Frank

FWIW---I have 3 IBM drives. One of them was acting
kind of funny. I ran the exerciser in the DFT (drive
fitness test) from Hitachi. It had a lot of errors on the
disk and the test suggested that I write zeros to the
disk. (also included in the DFT). I did this twice and
then ran the exerciser overnight. Haven't had a problem
since. It is worth a shot. I have had several IBM drives
through the years 33,66,100, and have never had a
problem with them. (knock on wood)

om...

Old January 26th 04, 03:51 AM
John Turco

Frank wrote:

FWIW---I have 3 IBM drives. One of them was acting
kind of funny. I ran the exerciser in the DFT (drive
fitness test) from Hitachi. It had a lot of errors on the
disk and the test suggested that I write zeros to the
disk. (also included in the DFT). I did this twice and
then ran the exerciser overnight. Haven't had a problem
since. It is worth a shot. I have had several IBM drives
through the years 33,66,100, and have never had a
problem with them. (knock on wood)

Hello, Frank:

You've owned over 33,000,000 IBM hard disks? Now, that's what I call
genuine "brand loyalty!" G

Cordially,
John Turco

PS: Okay, seriously, I know "33,66,100" is a reference to ATA
"standards."

om...