Q: 3200XP and Vantec Aeroflow

Old February 3rd 04, 04:56 AM
Eyman

Default Q: 3200XP and Vantec Aeroflow

Hi,

Ive got a 3200XP with a Vantec Aeroflow (VA4-C7040) heatsink with Artic
Silver 5 as well as two 12cm fans located in the front and rear of the case.

In Sydney at the moment current outdoor temperatures are between 25-30
degrees and the indoor air temps are about 20-25 degrees.

Motherboard monitor with the A7N8X-Deluxe Inf files reports the socket as
50-55 degrees and the diode as 60-65 degrees in idle.

Ive looked at the vantec site and cant find any details where this heatsink
is rated for a 3200XP. Details of the cooler can be found here
http://www.vantecusa.com/product-cooling.html under VA4-C7040.

The diode on my previous 2600XP (2.08Ghz) would rarely go over 50 degrees
compared to 60-65 dgrees for the 3200XP (2.20Ghz). I understand that the
3200Xp is a more sophisticated processor but i didnt expect temps to be this
high. Also there arent any other heat producing components in the case other
than a 9600Pro and two IDE drives as well as the ususal stuff (floppy, cd
rom etc).

The fan is seated properly and the core and heatsink base has a thin but
adequate application of artic silver 5.

The questions I have a

1 - Is the vantec aeroflow sufficent to cool a 3200XP?
2 - Are these temps normal for a 3200XP?
3 - Should I just buy a new cooler, and if so which one?
4 - Should I just keep the setup and wait till the summers over?

Thanks

Eyman

Old February 3rd 04, 07:09 AM
Doug Whitesell

Is it stable? Because if it is, you don't need to sweat it (yet). Granted
it's nice to run cool but as long as it's stable under full load then it's
no biggie.

If you want a new heatsink, get a Thermalright or ThermalTake (volcano 11 or
12).

Cheers.

--
Doug Whitesell
zigspalffy33 [at_symbol] verizon [dot] net

Old February 3rd 04, 07:16 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:56:24 +1100, Eyman wrote:

The questions I have a

1 - Is the vantec aeroflow sufficent to cool a 3200XP?

Yes.

2 - Are these temps normal for a 3200XP?

Can't say, you didn't report case temp, so there's no way for me to tell.

3 - Should I just buy a new cooler, and if so which one? 4 - Should I
just keep the setup and wait till the summers over?

I'd say take the side cover off and see if that drops cpu temps after
about 20 minutes off. If it drops a lot, then you have a case cooling
problem. If not, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old February 3rd 04, 04:19 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Eyman" wrote in message
[...]

I'm going to ask a couple of questions here, as I have the same CPU, HSF and
motherboard operating here @ 22C room, 25C case and 38 - 44C CPU (44 max
under full load) temperatures. I realize these questions may seem very
basic, but...
1. What is your case temperature? Wes' suggestion to remove the side cover
and see where your CPU temperature goes is pertinent. If the CPU temperature
goes down significantly, you have a case airflow problem.
2. That rear 120mm fan is mounted to exhaust the hot air out of the case,
right? And, the front 120mm is bringing cool air into the case?