Compaq horror story-don't buy one!

Old July 3rd 03, 10:10 AM
Martian

"Mike Calkins" wrote in message m...
Just heard from HP / Compaq, that they are still working to resolve this
customer's issue.

A Compaq-HP representative called me at work this afternoon and asked
me to email copies of the earlier back-and-forth email volley directly
to him and he will arrange a RAM replacement. He seemed to be aware
of my problem through both my latest email to the company and USENET.
Lucky for me the laptop has remained stable and I still have the
emails!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. This is the first time I've dealt
with mail-in repair.
Old July 5th 03, 11:02 PM
Deep

Whoa... A little angry there dude? ;-)

Deep

"johnnyx" wrote in message
. ..
Stop ****ing crying about your RAM. Should have removed it first. When

you
bring your car to the garage for repairs, do you leave money in the trunk?
Your response to sue is typical American. Haven't you wasted enough time
already? Get a life looser. Did you ever kiss a girl????

"Rick" wrote in message
Try to send this info on you problem to PC World magazine On Your Side

at
the following
"Martian" wrote in message
om...
My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
RAM upgrade. I e-mailed them about it and was told "the right amount
of RAM is installed." Then I e-mailed and got no response. Then I
called and we've spoken over the phone repeatedly ever since. Compaq
has spent way more than the $100 I spent on the RAM on phone calls!

I was just advised that their repair facility says they "did return
the RAM to the customer" and closed their case and they refuse to
discuss it further! I still do not have my RAM! I would tell anyone
seriously considering buying a Compaq or HP to buy a Dell. We have
had excellent service from Dell with our desktop. Compaq has taken my
property and apparently has no intention of returning it. I suspect
small claims court is my only recourse at this point.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Old July 6th 03, 01:54 AM
Michael

And none too bright.Lousy comparison,if you took your car in for repairs
with custom equiptment and found it replaced with standard,I think you'd be
a little ticked off.And his crack about Americans shows him to be a typical
bigot.
"Deep" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Whoa... A little angry there dude? ;-)

Deep

. ..

Old July 6th 03, 03:29 PM
HH

Deep,
Not citizenry, it's the damned lawyers. Shakespeare was right!!!

HH

"Deep" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
I don't know about that... American's in general do have a tendancy to

"sue"
at the drop of a hat. Saw some show once that was comparing the number of
civil lawsuits and the US was the highest per capita. He may not have
phrased it well, but it's more right than wrong...

Deep

"Michael" wrote in message
And none too bright.Lousy comparison,if you took your car in for repairs
with custom equiptment and found it replaced with standard,I think you'd

be
a little ticked off.And his crack about Americans shows him to be a

typical
bigot.
"Deep" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Whoa... A little angry there dude? ;-)

Deep

. ..

Old July 8th 03, 07:19 PM
Mike Calkins

Prudent advice.

But, if you had read the whole thread, you'd see that Compaq/HP is working
to replace the missing RAM.

To quote a scholar,

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing
it!
In Customer Service, Everyday Is An Opportunity.!

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Martian wrote:
[...]

Lesson learned: remove all components not on the original invoice before
shipping. Mirror your hard drive. Reinstall the original OS. The
warranty covers the unit in the state it was sold, even if the unit
contains after market equipment sold by the vendor, and in some cases
the vendor will not do warranty work with an OS different than the
invoice specifies.

In this case, Compaq should have retained and returned the RAM, and they
were a little short on ethics in your case by not doing so. The reality
is that the service center does their job on the basis of the OEM state
of the computer, and had to strip the RAM in order to QA their work
according to the state at time of sale. The person on the end of the
line has no knowledge of what the person at the front of the line is
doing, and the original invoice is the final arbiter.

Small claims court will be difficult since the vendor is out of state in
all likelyhood. You can get a judgement from court. The next
difficulty is collecting it.

Old July 21st 03, 07:42 AM
Martian

"Martian" *********************** wrote in message
om...
My new Compaq laptop developed a serious problem in March, and I ended
up sending it back for repairs after hours on the phone. They
replaced the M-board, and when they returned it, they had removed my
RAM upgrade.

HP agreed to replace the RAM, so that's one problem solved. But the
system was so slow after repair that I hoped putting the RAM back
would help, and didn't even try to play CDs or check email. But even
after hours tuning and emails and calls to service, it's crashing
repeatedly, even after adding the RAM, whether I'm using an
application or not. Even if I remove everything from starting and run
it in abnormal mode in msconfig, it crashes within 20 to 45 minutes
(or faster if I use a CD, OE, or IE).

So they are sending me another box to mail it back again. The tech
specifically told me to leave the RAM in. I told him no, asolutely
not! He insisted they need it for trouble-shooting, so I guess I'll
write my name on it with a Sharpie or paint the edges with nail polish
or something! The box should be here by Tuesday. Any ideas for
making it obvious that this is MY RAM so it doesn't walk again?!

Compaq Laptop Parts for Sale... Valueplay General 0 February 19th 05 05:56 AM
Compaq EN P600 w/i820 chipset upgrade questions Eddie Crismond General 21 November 26th 04 10:17 PM
To All HP & Compaq Laptop Users, please read this Yvo General 4 March 6th 04 03:43 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 3 July 8th 03 05:14 AM
Compaq FAQ Updated HH Compaq Computers 0 June 29th 03 03:58 PM