power problems

Old December 28th 03, 10:41 AM
gregork

Default power problems

I have just installed a kx600 motherboard with an athlon 1ghz cpu and have
encountered a problem I hope you can help me resolve.
When I first started the system after installing the new motherboard
everything started okay but when I cut the power with the power switch the
system would not start again. I had a look inside while I was pressing
the power switch in and noticed the fans were turning a little bit . I then
tried pulling the power cables from the CD player and hard drive and floppy.
Then after trying the power switch again the system started. There
is no set pattern to what power cables I pull out to allow the system to
start - I just keep on pulling cables out and eventually the system starts.
Once it is running the system will stay running and restart with the restart
switch but as soon as I kill the power it won't start again. A couple of
times after the system has been running I have inserted a CD and the power
has shut down instantaneously. I have tried swapping the restart switch and
the power switch around but still have the same problem . My power supply is
a MEC model ATX 350/2F and is only a couple of weeks old.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
gregork

Old December 28th 03, 02:50 PM

gregork wrote:
[...]

Your description has all the earmarks of a power supply that is being
overloaded. I realize that your PS is only a couple of weeks old, but
that is what I would try first.

Old December 28th 03, 05:40 PM
Mike Walsh

I had this problem when I installed a new motherboard about a year ago, but can't remember what caused it. It could have something to do with power management. It was not bad hardware.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old December 28th 03, 10:36 PM
DaveW

It sounds like you have a cheap power supply that is unable to supply
adequate wattage to drive the components you have. I would highly consider
investing in a "quality" brand power supply of adequate wattage. (Just
because a given power supply is rated to put out 350 Watts does NOT mean
that it actually can in the real world. That's why people invest in more
expensive power supplies. They really can supply a constant 350 Watts.
Antec is a very good brand.)

--
DaveW

Old December 29th 03, 12:45 AM
Shep©

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:36:24 GMT In this world we created "DaveW"
wrote :

It sounds like you have a cheap power supply that is unable to supply
adequate wattage to drive the components you have. I would highly consider
investing in a "quality" brand power supply of adequate wattage.

Wattage is not the issue :/

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Power on Problems Gemjack General 2 November 1st 03 03:09 PM
Power Problems TresWBL General 1 September 27th 03 03:22 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM
Power problems on Dell thing Zilog Jones General 8 July 23rd 03 06:16 PM