Virus or not?

Old December 5th 03, 03:04 PM
Kolin Tregaskes

Default Virus or not?

Hello,

I'm having some odd problems and not sure if it's a virus, Windows or a hard
drive problem.

It started at the beginning of this week after I had to reinstall Windows
completely (which might be related). After reinstalling, I put on Norton
Anti-virus Pro 2003 (plus Norton Systemworks Pro 2003 and Norton Internet
Security Pro 2003) and ZoneAlarm Pro (which I have been using for ages now),
but have since decided to move over to Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 2 and
McAfee VirusScan Professional (which both seem slightly better than Norton
and ZA).

The current problems I have a-

1. I cannot install the Security Update for Windows XP (KB810217) from the
Windows Update web site (I've been able to install every other update).
When I install this and reboot I get a blue crash screen just before it
normally goes into Windows, with the error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" with the
code at the bottom below:

STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFE, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80515DF1)

I've look for the IRQL.. and the codes on MS' support pages, but couldn't
find anything related. Does anyone know what this means and/or how to fix
it?

2. I have 2 hard drives, one 40Gb (C the other nearly 200Gb, the second
some seems to have a few problems. Some of the folders and files throw up
the following example error when I try to move/delete/copy/rename them:

"Cannot rename: Multimedia [name of the folder]: Access is denied. Make
sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not
currently in use".

The folders are not read-only, I can't see any related file in use in Task
Manager and the drive is not full. Access is denied in DOS as well. When I
check the attributes in DOS, it comes up with no attributes, which is OK?

3. I've not looked in all the folders on the big drive, but one that has
some AVI and MPEG videos is causing me to worry. The folder view is set to
show thumbnails of the videos, but when I go into the folder, it starts

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error! Program
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE. The application has requested the Runtime to
terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support
team for more info."

When I had Norton Anti-virus/Internet Security installed, IS came up with
some message about "NetSpy". I know this is a Trojan, but I did a full scan
then with Norton and I've done a full scan with McAfee and have not found
NetSpy on my system. Norton didn't find anything at all, by the way, but
McAfee has found a few unwanted programs and one Trojan - the problem is
that the Trojan is in a folder (or is a file) that I cannot edit and so I
cannot delete the Trojan (this could be the cause of all my problems, but
how can I fix my folders so that I can delete them again?)

4. I've had little odd things happen along the way, such as my Groove
database becoming corrupt, though I'm not sure it's related at all.

I had to reinstall my computer as Windows was running, very, very slowly and
I couldn't see why. I searched for ages for the cause, but in the end
decided to reinstall Windows (I use WindowsXP Pro). Upon reinstalling I got
lots of errors on the drives, I think only the 200Gb one, and I was left
with lots of files and folders in a LOSTFILE folder and FOUND.000/.001
folders (which I couldn't see in Windows). Does anyone think this is
related to current problems I am having?

Sorry for the long message, but thought it would be best to put everything
in the e-mail.

Hope someone can help please?

Kol.
-----------

After a number of decimal places, nobody gives a damn.

Old December 5th 03, 06:56 PM
Phrederick

I'm having some odd problems and not sure if it's a virus, Windows or a
hard
drive problem.

It started at the beginning of this week after I had to reinstall Windows
completely (which might be related). After reinstalling, I put on Norton
Anti-virus Pro 2003 (plus Norton Systemworks Pro 2003 and Norton Internet
Security Pro 2003) and ZoneAlarm Pro (which I have been using for ages

now),
but have since decided to move over to Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 2 and
McAfee VirusScan Professional (which both seem slightly better than Norton
and ZA).

Use the Windows XP firewall only, or better yet, get a hardware firewall if
you can use it (broadband internet connection)

1. I cannot install the Security Update for Windows XP (KB810217) from the
Windows Update web site (I've been able to install every other update).
When I install this and reboot I get a blue crash screen just before it
normally goes into Windows, with the error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" with

the
code at the bottom below:

STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFFFFFE, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80515DF1)

I've look for the IRQL.. and the codes on MS' support pages, but couldn't
find anything related. Does anyone know what this means and/or how to fix
it?

Could be hardware problems... Memory, power supply, bad cooling fan, etc...

2. I have 2 hard drives, one 40Gb (C the other nearly 200Gb, the second
some seems to have a few problems. Some of the folders and files throw up
the following example error when I try to move/delete/copy/rename them:

"Cannot rename: Multimedia [name of the folder]: Access is denied. Make
sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not
currently in use".

I've seen files that report that they can't be deleted as they are in use.
Never figured out what it was but I've only been seeing it on XP. Might have
something to do with Antivirus scanning large files. Seems to happen when
I'm moving LOTS of files around.

3. I've not looked in all the folders on the big drive, but one that has
some AVI and MPEG videos is causing me to worry. The folder view is set

show thumbnails of the videos, but when I go into the folder, it starts

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error! Program
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE. The application has requested the Runtime to
terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support
team for more info."

Could be XP is damaged. Try START-RUN-"SFC /SCANNOW" ... This will scan
your drive for broken or missing system files and replace them. You'll need
your Win XP CD. This seems to fix lots of problems.

When I had Norton Anti-virus/Internet Security installed, IS came up with
some message about "NetSpy". I know this is a Trojan, but I did a full

scan
then with Norton and I've done a full scan with McAfee and have not found
NetSpy on my system.

Spyware is not the same as Virus, so don't expect an AV program to find most
spyware. Try downloading AdAware. I think the website is www.lavasoft.de .
You could also try the online virus scanner at Trend Micro's site.

4. I've had little odd things happen along the way, such as my Groove
database becoming corrupt, though I'm not sure it's related at all.

I had to reinstall my computer as Windows was running, very, very slowly

and
I couldn't see why. I searched for ages for the cause, but in the end
decided to reinstall Windows (I use WindowsXP Pro). Upon reinstalling I

got
lots of errors on the drives, I think only the 200Gb one, and I was left
with lots of files and folders in a LOSTFILE folder and FOUND.000/.001
folders (which I couldn't see in Windows). Does anyone think this is
related to current problems I am having?

These are recovered "chunks" of damaged files that Scandisk has found. If
Windows crashes, it may do a scandisk at the next boot and this is what it
does with found data that doesn't actually make a complete file. I don't
know of any way to recover data from these though.

When you reinstalled, did you format your C: drive? Have you considered
dropping the C: drive as it may be slower than the 200gig drive. Unless you
*NEED* the space, you'd probably see a slightly faster system.

Old December 6th 03, 09:51 PM
Kolin Tregaskes

I've sorted out the files and folders that I could not delete, rename, etc.
In the end it was changing the permissions to Full Control. I have now been
able to delete the viruses, but the rest of the problems remain. :-(

Any advice would be gratefully received?

Kol.

"I will not be a lemming and follow the crowd over the cliff and into the
C." - John (Jack) Beidler.