RE 250 watt and ATX 2.1 needed to kep xp 2000 board running ?

Old May 30th 04, 01:49 PM
do_not_spam_me

Default RE 250 watt and ATX 2.1 needed to kep xp 2000 board running ?

We Live for the One we Die for the One )
wrote in message

Iam just using a 250 watt power supply to try to get an Xp 2000 system
running and it powers up but thats about it not a beep ?

The PSU i think is 2.01 but is 250 watt would this stop the PC from
working all i have is the cpu fan, vidcard no other fans connected ?

How many watts can your 250 watt power supply output? Just because
it's labelled "250W" doesn't mean it's labelled accurately, and then
there's the matter of the power capacity from each voltage line.

A high quality 250W supply, such as a PC Power & Cooling or Fortron,
should be able to run an XP 2000+ system, unless it contains a very
power hungry video card. But in reality most such systems will need a
supply labelled for at least 300-350W.
Old May 30th 04, 08:23 PM
jaster

wrote in message

Iam just using a 250 watt power supply to try to get an Xp 2000 system
running and it powers up but thats about it not a beep ?

The PSU i think is 2.01 but is 250 watt would this stop the PC from
working all i have is the cpu fan, vidcard no other fans connected ?

How many watts can your 250 watt power supply output? Just because
it's labelled "250W" doesn't mean it's labelled accurately, and then
there's the matter of the power capacity from each voltage line.

A high quality 250W supply, such as a PC Power & Cooling or Fortron,
should be able to run an XP 2000+ system, unless it contains a very
power hungry video card. But in reality most such systems will need a
supply labelled for at least 300-350W.

It's not really the total wattage, ie, 250 vs 300 but how the wattage is
distributed to the system. A 300 psu may not provide enough power on
the 5v, 3.3v or 12v lines. That's why sometimes a 200-250w is enough to
power a average pc. I lost my spreadsheet for guessing the power
required on each line based on system components. Generally true a name
brand larger wattage psu should be enough additional power.

Old May 30th 04, 09:01 PM
Roy Coorne

wrote in message

[...]

The AMD recommendations for Athlon XP systems are
+3.3V: 28A, +5V:30A, +12V:15/18A
(Sorry, I have no link at hand...)

Roy