CISCO idea!

Old May 19th 04, 05:12 PM
esara

Default CISCO idea!

Sorry for off topic!
-------------------
Hi
I want to learn and prepare myself for CCNA. I gained an access to
CISCO 1600 router and I have what is called "CISCO Networking Academy
Program CD" (all legal and paid for). I want to learn it buy myself.
From the Academy program I understood that the main goal is to config
CISCO router! The real CISCO 1600 router can be access using Console
terminal (Hyber ling) and then I can communicate with the router and
if I type (?) I will get all the commands. I am so overwhelmed and
confused!!! I do not know what is the GOAL of all of this?? I do not
know what is the "BIG PICTURE" what I am suppose to do and what I
am going to learn.. is all that about "CONFIGURATION" of CISCO
router?? if yes why ??
I would appreciate very much if I can get a big picture so I can start
doing thing but I know what I am doing rather than jump here and there
without any knowledge what I am suppose to do.

Thanks a lot.
Old May 20th 04, 09:23 AM
Adam S

Sorry for off topic!
-------------------
Hi
I want to learn and prepare myself for CCNA.

I would appreciate very much if I can get a big picture so I can start
doing thing but I know what I am doing rather than jump here and there
without any knowledge what I am suppose to do.

Hi,

To pass the CCNA you need to know how to log into a router or switch,
configure the interfaces and ports for a variety of protocols and then lock
it down so that no-one can get in and mess it up, much like real life.

You need to know the different levels of access and what to configure from
what level.

You need to know how to configure the interfaces and ports for TCP/IP
Novell, Apple, ADSL, ISDN etc.

You need to know how to set up access lists to stop certain ports or
protocols getting through.

You need to know how to set up RIP and metrics.

There is a lot to learn for the CCNA and you need to understand it, not just
be able to quote it. Its not like the Microsoft exams where you can get away
with just knowing the facts, with the CCNA you must know WHY something
happens.

To look at the current config type 'show run' at the privileged command
prompt. (type 'enable' or 'en' for short when you first log on to get to
privileged mode).

Don't forget to write the running config to the memory or you will loose it
all when you power off!

Good luck
Adam S

Old May 22nd 04, 11:31 PM
Nomad

Here are some questions you may want answers to before delving too
deep into Cisco.

1. Who is prepared to hire a recent CCNA graduate in your area?
2. How much are they prepared to pay for a recent CCNA graduate?
3. Are the specifics of real world jobs people with CCNA's do?
4. What other qualifications did they have when they were hired?
5. This is the biggie. How many CCNA's are there in your area looking
for work?

As you may gather, I am skeptical of the intrinsic value of technical
certification per se. These certifications tend to have the greatest
value to those selling the training and those selling the testing.
There are a lot of CCNA's out there. When any skill set floods the
market, the salaries go down. The CNE's ran into this several years
ago.

On 19 May 2004 09:12:38 -0700, (esara) wrote:

I do not know what is the GOAL of all of this?? I do not
know what is the "BIG PICTURE" what I am suppose to do and what I
am going to learn.. is all that about "CONFIGURATION" of CISCO
router?? if yes why ??
I would appreciate very much if I can get a big picture so I can start
doing thing but I know what I am doing rather than jump here and there
without any knowledge what I am suppose to do.

The meek shall NOT inherit the earth.

Used Cisco 2621 usedciscogear General 0 January 12th 05 09:50 PM
Just curious about a cooling idea Bryan Overclocking 2 February 18th 04 04:29 PM
WTB Cisco Techlink Systems Int'l General 0 January 7th 04 06:26 PM
****WTB Cisco and others!**** Techlink Systems Int'l General 0 October 27th 03 10:37 PM
Removable harddrive racks, bad idea? Kb General 2 July 4th 03 01:25 PM