Anti Virus

Old April 18th 04, 05:22 PM
hawk

Default Anti Virus

A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)

Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
Netscape, so I am still looking.

Regards, hawk

Old April 18th 04, 05:41 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:22:32 -0700 As truth resonates honesty hawk
wrote :

A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)

Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
Netscape, so I am still looking.

Regards, hawk

I've used and recommend the free AVG for years,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/secure.html
along with other free protection systems.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old April 18th 04, 10:48 PM
hawk

Well, AVG doesn't provide E-Mail scanning for Netscape. What E-mail
client do you use?

Regards, hawk

Old April 19th 04, 12:20 AM
hawk

A firewall will not stop a virus. I use a router to connect to the
internet and my computers are invisible to hackers. But, I get E-mail
with viruses attached almost everyday. And on my address that no one
but close friends have. And I never open E-mail from someone I don't
know. But, you can get E-mail from a friend that is infected. I think
if a friend gets an E-mail from me and forwards it to someone, who
forwards it, etc. eventually it gets to an infected computer and all
addresses on the message get E-mail with a virus attached.

Anyway, if I can't scan incoming E-mail, how can I be sure that my
computer is not infected? And I don't want to remove an infection, I
never want to get infected in the first place.

Regards, hawk

Graham wrote:
At the risk of being contentious how about not using an AV

program? I have
never installed one, but have never had a virus / worm / trojan - by never
opening emails unless I'm sure about them and keeping windows updated. BTW,
I know I have never been infected thanks to Symantecs FREE scanning service
at
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/hom...RVWHFHMFNZMBBX
IMO a firewall is far more important...

Old April 19th 04, 02:35 AM
Stacey

hawk wrote:

A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
choice with Win XP,

Yes you do, switch to linux and then you don't have to worry about AV
software either! :-) I'd never use windows in an enviroment that is
hostile anyway, too many security/virus/worm issues. The windows machine I
have isn't configured to access the internet.
--

Stacey
Old April 19th 04, 03:04 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:22:32 -0700, hawk wrote:

A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)

Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
Netscape, so I am still looking.

Regards, hawk

I've used McAfee for many years, until it became incompatible with my
system. I switched to Norton antivirus for a year after that. Then I
switched to AVG which does the job very well. Do you absolutely need
Netscape? Mozilla and Opera are good browers if you don't like IE.
They all work about the same.

Old April 19th 04, 03:07 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:35:27 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

"Peter Piper" wrote in message
m...
In article , says...
A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)

Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
Netscape, so I am still looking.

Regards, hawk

I agree completely about Product Activation. I will not succumb to
Microsoft XP or Symmantec.

Sorry, no advice on an email scanner that works with Netscape. Maybe it
is time change email programs.

ACE Utilities is a good alternative to Norton Utilities/System Works.

BYE BYE Norton.

At the risk of being contentious how about not using an AV program? I have
never installed one, but have never had a virus / worm / trojan - by never
opening emails unless I'm sure about them and keeping windows updated. BTW,
I know I have never been infected thanks to Symantecs FREE scanning service
at
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/hom...RVWHFHMFNZMBBX
IMO a firewall is far more important...

]

I could not imagine *not* having an antivirus program and being
connected to the Internet.