Messed up drive letters

Old December 1st 03, 10:48 AM
Brian

Default Messed up drive letters

I have upgraded my MB, cpu, and ram.
My harddrive is 40gb divided into 3 partitions:10gb, 20gb, 10gb. I formatted
the first partition (windows) with ntfs and installed win xp pro now I find
that windows is installed on G can I just change G to C or will this cause
problems?
any idea's
Brian

Old December 1st 03, 12:25 PM
philo

"Brian" wrote in message
I have upgraded my MB, cpu, and ram.
My harddrive is 40gb divided into 3 partitions:10gb, 20gb, 10gb. I

formatted
the first partition (windows) with ntfs and installed win xp pro now I

find
that windows is installed on G can I just change G to C or will this cause
problems?
any idea's
Brian

I did something similar and was also surprised that XP did not automatically
have to default to C:
unfortunately i don;t think there would be any way to change the drive
letter at this point...
even if you could reassign the drive letter to C: and the reference in
boot.ini

there would be hundreds (or more likely thousands) of registry
entries that would have to be changed.

there might be some utility that could make those changes...but
it looks like it would be a mess to me

Old December 1st 03, 02:26 PM
the gnome

"philo" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

In W2k under Control Panel there is administrative Tools, in there under
Computer management there is Disk Management that allows you to edit
(change) Drive letters.

There may be something similar in XP.

the_gnome

Old December 1st 03, 04:40 PM
philo

In W2k under Control Panel there is administrative Tools, in there under
Computer management there is Disk Management that allows you to edit
(change) Drive letters.

There may be something similar in XP.

I use both XP and Win2k they both have the same drive management...
but I don't think you can change the letter of the drive your system
actually
boots to.(I'm pretty sure I tried to)

Even if you could change the drive letter...there is still the problem with
all
registry entries which would still refer to the original drive

Old December 1st 03, 06:33 PM
Timothy Drouillard

Brian, do you by any chance have a Zip drive installed in your system??

first off, you can change the drive letters for any drive EXCEPT the system
drive.

Now, there is a know problem with system with a Iomega Zip drive. Sometimes
during installation, Windows mistakenly thinks the Zip drive is the first
hard drive, and installes itself on it, making it drive C:.

IF this is what may have happened, the only remedy is to temp disconnect the
Zip drive, and do a fresh install of Windows. Be sure to check which
partition/disk Windows is installing to.

Aftyer Windows is installed on your HD, THEN reconnect the Zip drive and
Windows will assign it a letter.

.net...

Old December 1st 03, 07:11 PM
the gnome

"philo" wrote in message

In W2k under Control Panel there is administrative Tools, in there under
Computer management there is Disk Management that allows you to edit
(change) Drive letters.

There may be something similar in XP.

I use both XP and Win2k they both have the same drive management...
but I don't think you can change the letter of the drive your system
actually
boots to.(I'm pretty sure I tried to)

Even if you could change the drive letter...there is still the problem

with
all
registry entries which would still refer to the original drive

on W2k you can EDIT the drive letter to anything you want providing it
doesn't already exist and the registry resets itself and all programs work
including shortcuts.

At least it did when my boot drive showed up as D: and I edited it to C:

the_gnome

Old December 1st 03, 10:05 PM
philo

on W2k you can EDIT the drive letter to anything you want providing it
doesn't already exist and the registry resets itself and all programs work
including shortcuts.

At least it did when my boot drive showed up as D: and I edited it to C:

the_gnome

I just took a look...and...
I think you've got something there...XP has the same ability within disk
management... it said : edit drive letter and paths so I'd think that would
work.

Old December 2nd 03, 01:23 AM
John E. Carty

"philo" wrote in message

on W2k you can EDIT the drive letter to anything you want providing it
doesn't already exist and the registry resets itself and all programs

work
including shortcuts.

At least it did when my boot drive showed up as D: and I edited it to C:

the_gnome

I just took a look...and...
I think you've got something there...XP has the same ability within disk
management... it said : edit drive letter and paths so I'd think that

would
work.

XP's Disk Management will not allow you to change the drive letter assigned
to the system or boot partition :-)