CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute

Old May 28th 08, 02:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
~misfit~[_3_]

Default CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute

Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
Ed Light wrote:

Thanks, guys.

Ultimate Boot CD For Windows has Prime95 on it, so I'm downloading
the package right now.

It works. It's a very big, long project to make the CD. It has both
memtest and Prime95. memtest is available when the CD first boots.

Thanks for that Ed. I believe that I actually have Ultimate Boot CD
burnt and stashed away somewhere (never used it, LOL). I'll have to
dig it out and have a go.

Heh! So I had a tool that will do it here the whole time! I have ver 4.1.1
(I think, it's written on the disk which is in another machine right now).

It's just a shame there's no CPU temp monitoring at the same time. Still,
that's asking a bit much from a bootable CD, maybe a USB solution would
hadle that.

Oh, it didn't even complete one test. (I know the machine's stable.) It came
up with "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7." after about 60 seconds. :-(

Ok, LOL, it's still running, the second test/line just appeared on screen.
(It's an old Athlon XP T'bredB currently running at 1.8GHz. It'll do 2.2
easy but there's no need for it in it's current use.) I guess the version of
Prime must just have a bit of extra reporting built-in.
--
Shaun.

Old May 28th 08, 04:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Shaun' wrote, in part:
_____

I'd be satisfied with ANY reliable temperature monitor with ANY operating
system- I still haven't found anything for my EVGA 680i motherboard for all
the temperatures that the BIOS reports, even for monitoring applets that
correctly identify the Winbond chip! MotherBoard Monitor (and simpler
motherboards) spoiled us.

And Intel TAT won't work for the 45 nm CPUs B^(

Perhaps there's a small 'nix bootable system & monitoring applet?

Phil Weldon

Old May 28th 08, 04:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Fishface

Phil Weldon wrote:

And Intel TAT won't work for the 45 nm CPUs B^(

Maybe they'll update it?

I read that a lot of the 680i boards do not support the 45nM parts after all.
It's in the board design and not the chipset, I think. Does yours?

Old May 28th 08, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Fishface' wrote, in part:
I read that a lot of the 680i boards do not support the 45nM parts after
all.
It's in the board design and not the chipset, I think. Does yours?

_____

I don't know whether my EVGA 680i works with the 45 nm Core 2 CPUs or not
(in fact, my early 680i may not even work nicely with a 65 nm quad.

At this point, after sticking with my E4300 for 13 months, I might as well
wait the whole two years and go for a 'Nehalem', DDR3, and a new motherboard
in April 2009. After all, I stuck with an overclocked Pentium 4 2.6 until
the E4300. I don't have the 'pass-along' chain I once had (starting with a
Pentium 90); my wife and son are laptop only now and my daughter deserted to
Apple. As for my brother, well, he's still running Windows 98 on his
machines (not a gamer, and his 4 foot wide plotter might have a driver
problem) and has yet to set up the Pentium 4 2.6 GHz I gave him a year ago.

Phil Weldon

Old May 28th 08, 07:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Phil Weldon" typed:
'Shaun' wrote, in part:
_____

I'd be satisfied with ANY reliable temperature monitor with ANY
operating system- I still haven't found anything for my EVGA 680i
motherboard for all the temperatures that the BIOS reports, even for
monitoring applets that correctly identify the Winbond chip!

That must be frustrating. I'm fairly happy with the temp monitoring apps I'm
using with my P35 mobo after trying everything I could find I'm using
CoreTemp and SpeedFan with Hard Disk Sentinel taking care of the four HDDs.

MotherBoard Monitor (and simpler motherboards) spoiled us.

Indeed, those were the days. I still have MBM5 installed for the CPU usage
display in the systray, it's pretty much useless for anything else..

And Intel TAT won't work for the 45 nm CPUs B^(

I was intending to get an E8400 at some stage but my E4500 is ticking along
nicely at 3.2 GHz/400Mhz FSB (It'll run stable at 413MHz/3.3GHz but I
decided to round it down, I'm not taxing it in the slightest as it is). As
it's more than adequate for everything I'm throwing at it I've decided
there's not much point (other than bragging rights) in me getting an E4500.
At least not in the foreseeable future.

Perhaps there's a small 'nix bootable system & monitoring applet?

Now that would be good indeed. A USB based system perhaps.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old May 28th 08, 12:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Medlin

'Fishface' wrote, in part:
[...]

That is pretty much my feelings too. It wasn't too long ago that I passed
the E6600 and 680i on to my son and I am quite satisfied with this
Q6600/Striker combo for another 8-10 months. Maybe another Spring project
will be in order for 2009?...........:-). Unless something really
ground-breaking happens in the video card arena I can split up these 8800GTX
cards or use the 8800GT I have still in the box for this system and use the
SLI'd cards in a new one.....:-) The 9xxx series hasn't shown me much,
certainly not enough to spend the cash. I did upgrade from the E6600 to the
Q6600 over the last year, but that is pretty minor.........pretty much a
wash with a little edge to the Quad in RL performance GHz/GHz.

Ed

Old May 29th 08, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

It's just a shame there's no CPU temp monitoring at the same time.

The build options had tons of little things you could add that weren't
on by default. Maybe one of those does it.

Oh, it didn't even complete one test. (I know the machine's stable.) It came
up with "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7." after about 60 seconds. :-(

Ok, LOL, it's still running, the second test/line just appeared on screen.
(It's an old Athlon XP T'bredB currently running at 1.8GHz. It'll do 2.2
easy but there's no need for it in it's current use.) I guess the version of
Prime must just have a bit of extra reporting built-in.

Did it hold on for hours?
--
---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old May 30th 08, 08:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
It's just a shame there's no CPU temp monitoring at the same time.

The build options had tons of little things you could add that weren't
on by default. Maybe one of those does it.

I was reporting on "The Ultimate Boot CD". The version I have was burnt from
an ISO I downloaded. No options there. :-(

Oh, it didn't even complete one test. (I know the machine's stable.)
It came up with "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7." after about 60
seconds. :-( Ok, LOL, it's still running, the second test/line just
appeared on
screen. (It's an old Athlon XP T'bredB currently running at 1.8GHz.
It'll do 2.2 easy but there's no need for it in it's current use.) I
guess the version of Prime must just have a bit of extra reporting
built-in.

Did it hold on for hours?

Yep, ran for three hours before I stopped it. (I'm confident that it's
stable, I was testing the boot CD rather than the machine. ) :-)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old May 30th 08, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

~misfit~ wrote:
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
It's just a shame there's no CPU temp monitoring at the same time.

The build options had tons of little things you could add that weren't
on by default. Maybe one of those does it.

I was reporting on "The Ultimate Boot CD". The version I have was burnt from
an ISO I downloaded. No options there. :-(

Now it's a build-it-at-home thing. During building you get a huge list
of customizations (can't remember if you have to click a button for
those). He says make one without altering stuff at first to see if it
works ok. You can update the security apps during build setup.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

---