P4, overclocking with Nvidea Gpu

Old January 13th 09, 07:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Rene Lamontagne

Default P4, overclocking with Nvidea Gpu

Since installing an Nvidia BFG 6600 video card I can no longer OC my 2.4
P4/533 CPU.
It used toOC to 3.0 Ghz and run stable, Now it will not OC at all I canset
the fsb in bios but when I rebbot it goes back to defaults, MB is a gigabyte
8P2667 ultra. it OCs fine with my ATI 9800 older Video card.

Any ideas?

Thanks to all who read or reply, Rene Lamontagne

Old January 14th 09, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
RobV[_2_]

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
Since installing an Nvidia BFG 6600 video card I can no longer OC my
2.4 P4/533 CPU.
It used toOC to 3.0 Ghz and run stable, Now it will not OC at all I
canset the fsb in bios but when I rebbot it goes back to defaults, MB
is a gigabyte 8P2667 ultra. it OCs fine with my ATI 9800 older Video
card.

Any ideas?

Thanks to all who read or reply, Rene Lamontagne

The new card probably uses more power than the 9800 did (you didn't
mention which version of the 6600 you have) and the power supply you
have can't output enough current for both the video card and
overclocking the CPU.

You probably need a higher wattage PSU if you want to OC the CPU.

-----------------
-----------------
Old January 14th 09, 01:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Rene Lamontagne

"Bill" wrote in message
In article , says...

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,

says...
Since installing an Nvidia BFG 6600 video card I can no longer OC my
2.4
P4/533 CPU.
It used toOC to 3.0 Ghz and run stable, Now it will not OC at all I
canset
the fsb in bios but when I rebbot it goes back to defaults, MB is a
gigabyte
8P2667 ultra. it OCs fine with my ATI 9800 older Video card.

Any ideas?

Thanks to all who read or reply, Rene Lamontagne

Have you tried setting the AGP/PCI frequency to 66/33?

Bill
--
GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

Yes , AGP/PCI are locked at 66/33,

The PSU is an Enermax EG465P with 20 amps on the 12 volt rail, 44 amps on
the 5 volt and 38 amps on the 3.3volt rail,

I have tried a 500 watt Antec with same results.

The video card is a BFG 6600 OC which is factory overclocked.

Thanks, Rene

If you put the ATI back in can you overclock then?

Those P/Ss should be enough unless you've got a lot of other
hardware in there. If you do, try disconnecting most of it just to
see if it will post when OC'd with the BFG card in place.

Bill
--
GMail, Google Goobers and Web to Usenet gateway users.
This century's answers to AOL and WebTV.

Yes, putting the ATI 9800 back in lets me overclock as usual.

Also, I borrowed the X1950 ati card from my Sons system last night and it
also worked fine , was able to OC the 2.4 to 2.9 or so , BTW Nvidias
response to this was Don't Overclock !

I guess I may just have to go to a newer ATI card but don;t want to spend
too much as this AGP system is getting pretty outdated.

Thanks, Rene

Old January 15th 09, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Rene Lamontagne' wrote:

Yes , AGP/PCI are locked at 66/33,

The PSU is an Enermax EG465P with 20 amps on the 12 volt rail, 44 amps on
the 5 volt and 38 amps on the 3.3volt rail,

I have tried a 500 watt Antec with same results.

The video card is a BFG 6600 OC which is factory overclocked.

_____

I don't think you should give up on your current equipment.

Since the PCI and AGP bus speeds are locked to the standard 33/66 MHz, and
your power supply is completely adequate (500 Watts should handle several
LARGE hard drives, enough peripheral cards to fill all the slots, more
memory than you can install, multiple removable media drives plus any AGP
display adapter that will fit; remeber, 500 Watt power supplies were rare in
the Pentium 4 era) then it is time to look at some other change that may
have affected your ability to overclock.

The 'gigabyte 8P2667 ultra' designation does not show up as a motherboard on
the Gigabyte site, so I can't look up particulars for you motherboard.

** My first suggestion is that you check to see if you may have made a
change in the motherboard BIOS that cause a reboot when the FSB is not set
to the correct speed. This is a setting sometimes available in Pentium 4
era motherboards.

** Second suggestion, make sure that all connectors are properly mated and
that all the connectors are still good (no pins or sleeves in the Molex
connectors have slipped out to the point that good contact is no longer
made - it happens, ask me how I know B^)

** Third suggestion is that you try reducing the overclock amount to 0 MHz;
check for proper operation, then gradually increase the overclock amount
until you find you need a higher than standard CPU core voltage (just like
beginning the overclock all over again.)

I can not offer any more specific suggestions without a manual for your
particular motherboard, and that I can't download without a correct
identifier.

If you can find another motherboard identifier and post that, then perhaps
you can get additional help. I still have a working aBit Pentium 4 system
that I first overclocked with a Pentium 4 1.6a GHz to 2.4 GHz, and later to
3.3 GHz with a Pentium 4 2.7 GHz. The power supply used was cheap and rated
at 300 Watts. It's retired now (I made a mistake in choosing RamBUS memory
when it was cheaper than alternatives, and installing only 640 MBytes - and
then RamBUS got too expensive to consider adding more.)

Phil Weldon

Old January 15th 09, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Rene Lamontagne

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
m...
'Rene Lamontagne' wrote:

[...]

Sorry about the model of MB, it is a Gigabyte GA-8PE667 ultra, When fsb is
set to 166 which is default its OK but enen 1 MZ over, say 167 it resets to
166 on bootup, no other changes to the bios .
Installing the ATi 9800 or X1950 lets it OC to 2.8 to 3 GHZ.
So it is definatly the Nvidia 6600OC card which prevents it,

Luckily I found Another Saphire X1950 video card this a.m. and everything is
runnig happy at 2.9 MHZ again.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Regards, Rene

nvidea drivers ed jurewicz Homebuilt PC's 1 July 24th 06 04:21 AM
Nvidea or ATI ? rob26 Nvidia Videocards 6 August 12th 05 11:58 AM
Nvidea Nero Nvidia Videocards 12 February 27th 05 07:43 PM
NVIDEA SUX! John Smith Nvidia Videocards 5 July 8th 04 03:52 AM
need help with nvidea software Claude Fortier Nvidia Videocards 1 September 5th 03 11:47 PM