Armada Lapotp crackling noise right channel only??

Old April 15th 08, 12:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
mike

Default Armada Lapotp crackling noise right channel only??

I have two Compaq Armada Laptops.
Armada E500
Armada M700
BOTH have a popping/crackling noise in the right channel only.
Starts out ok, but gets unbearable after a few minutes.
Sounds like there's gravel in the speaker, but you still
hear the noise using headphones, so it's not busted speakers.

I found several similar reports on the web, but no solutions.
Most of the discussions missed the point entirely and talked
about low-level hiss/noise etc. This is not anything that might have
been there at design time. It's HORRIBLE. Nobody could ever
think this was ok. Something broke. On BOTH machines.

I'd rather not reverse engineer this laptop if I can help it.
Are there any schematics of the audio available?
Suggestions?
Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID!
Old April 15th 08, 06:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Justice Gustine

mike wrote:

I have two Compaq Armada Laptops.
Armada E500
Armada M700
BOTH have a popping/crackling noise in the right channel only.
Starts out ok, but gets unbearable after a few minutes.
Sounds like there's gravel in the speaker, but you still
hear the noise using headphones, so it's not busted speakers.

I found several similar reports on the web, but no solutions.
Most of the discussions missed the point entirely and talked
about low-level hiss/noise etc. This is not anything that might have
been there at design time. It's HORRIBLE. Nobody could ever
think this was ok. Something broke. On BOTH machines.

I'd rather not reverse engineer this laptop if I can help it.
Are there any schematics of the audio available?
Suggestions?
Thanks, mike

Never had the problem on my E500 or M300. I've torn down the E a
couple of times for repairs and not had audio problems afterwards..

Have you tried muting items in the sounds control panel, the
microphone, line in, CD in etc and notice any difference?

Plug in a mic to disconnect the internal mic and check for the noise.

That's a step I'd take - see if the noise is caused by the amplifier
or is the amplifier just amplifieing the noise.
--
"If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot 'em?"
Old April 15th 08, 03:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
davy

Hi, what is not clear is where you are plugging the headphones, in the
speaker unit or in the machine, some clarification is required because
if you are plugging the phones into the machine then the machines have a
problem.

I assume you are plugging them into the speaker unit so the first thing
I'd try is the leads, try waggling the ends of the leads to see if
theres a broken or loose wire.

I would guess the speakers are 'self powered', meaning that they
require a power source to get them to work, be it battery or wall wart
adapter. If this is the case then they will contain a audio power
amplifier to drive the speakers, to me it sounds like one of these
amplifiers is at fault, in which case I would be tempted to try another
pair of speakers.

You can check them however, power the speakers up and try plug the
signal lead (not the power lead) into the earphone socket of a mini
Walkman, alternatively you can use the line or aux SIGNAL out on a CD
player or tape cassette.

*Do not be tempted* to use the speakers output terminal of an stereo
amplifier, the signal level is far too high and the impedance far too
low for this purpose.

What we are doing is using a *low level audio signal* to feed into the
speakers so we can try them, this will point us in the right direction,
obviously if the speakers still crackles then they are responsible.

Davy

Old April 16th 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
mike

Except that said, quote:
Sounds like there's gravel in the speaker, but you still
hear the noise using headphones,

To clarify, headphones plugged into the laptop have the noise.

--
Return address is VALID!
Old April 17th 08, 12:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
davy

I have two Compaq Armada Laptops.
Armada E500
Armada M700
BOTH have a popping/crackling noise in the right channel only.

To clarify, headphones plugged into the laptop have the noise.

Ah now, you are getting the sound through the headphones when they are
connected to the laptop, then it's most likely a fault in the sound
processing department, i.e sound card or on-board sound processor.. but
unusual to have two laptops the same...

... unless of course you damaged the speakers cones in the speaker and
the headphones.... the voice coils scraping as it moves between the
magnet due to overloading perhaps or too much bass.

You need to verify this by using a known good pair of headphones or at
least try them elsewhere, we need to isolate the problem so we can point
blame - either speaker and headhones or the laptops but to have two
items go down is sheer bad luck it does sometime happens.

davy

Crackling Buzz G. Gorman Asus Motherboards 5 April 5th 06 08:01 AM
crackling noise no spam PC Soundcards 1 February 16th 05 11:47 PM
Armada 7400 won't charge - clicking noise around power entry JM89 Compaq Computers 1 January 24th 04 04:38 PM
NF7-S crackling sound noise John Smith Abit Motherboards 1 January 19th 04 10:20 PM
Monitor Crackling Noise again Michael General 1 July 22nd 03 10:43 AM