power supply replacement

Old November 11th 07, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

Default power supply replacement

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:41:23 -0800, w_tom wrote:

On Nov 11, 1:52 pm, "Robin" wrote:
There was plenty of fluff and dust but no sign of leaking caps. At
least it's working now.

A properly constructed power supply needs no dusting every year if
operating in a standard room environment. Properly designed supply must
work just fine when heavily coated with dust. Fan bearings do not need
periodic oiling. Seized fans are more often traceable to manufacturing
defects such as the placement of a hall effect sensor inside the fan.
The resulting low torque will not be solved by more oil. But many want
to cure symptoms rather than first identify the problem. Fans provided
in minimally acceptable supplies should never need oiling.

Actually I was talking about the inside of the computer, not the inside of
the PSU, but you are still full of crap. Dust is not good for anything
electronic including the PSU. And if you let any PSU get too dusty it will
fail. And I don't care who makes it or what it cost. I've seen many PSU's
fail that cost well over $200 due to dust buildup and lack of proper
ventilation caused by the dust buildup. The same can be said for CPU's and
everything inside a PC case. And fans will fail to start when the bearings
dry out. Case fans, cpu fans, PSU fans, etc. It makes no difference. And
oiling them after they fail from dried bearings will fix them. Again, I
don't care who makes them or what they cost. Something you usually have no
say in when you buy any PC component with a fan in/on it. I've fixed
probably 100 or more fans with dried bearings over the last 30 years. Of
all the failed ones, I only recall a couple that weren't caused by dried
bearings. So I don't know wtf you are, but you are most certainly full of
crap.

Old November 11th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:23:05 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:52:44 -0800, Robin wrote:

There was plenty of fluff and dust but no sign of leaking caps. At
least it's working now.

One should clean the insides at least once a year. remove dust buildup
from fans and heatsinks. Check fans for freedom of movement. Fan
bearings will dry out often with original lubrications. Oiling them (1
small drop) with a lightweight oil, like sewing machine oil, will extend
their life considerably. It will also fix any that fail to start because
of dried bearings. This is very common and most people just trash
them.:-)

This refers to the inside of the computer case, but you should still check
the PSU fans for freedom periodically too. I figure most people have
enough common since to avoid electrical shock so I'll leave it to you if
you want to unplug it first. :-)