OC Athlon 64 X@ 4200+ on Gigabyte board

Old March 19th 07, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Lenny_Nero

Default OC Athlon 64 X@ 4200+ on Gigabyte board

cjohnson1379 said

On Mar 14, 4:46 pm, Lenny_Nero wrote:
cjohnson1379 said

Aspire case w/500W power supply

What is that ?
snip

Oops, it's Apevia but it's the same company. It's a full tower case with a
500W power supply.

I could test it with a Fuke meter and o'scope but I don't think that's it.
The problems occur even with the CPU, HTT, and memory underclocked. Is the
clock generator built into the Southbridge on the NForce 430? I can't find
a clock gen chip and the Southbridge has 3 crystals close to it.

Anyway, it started having boot problems again at 250, but it's perfect at
212. I've been playing with NTune and it seems like the longer it runs
overclocked, the better it gets. NTune puts it at 242 MHz.

Chris

I will say it again, the PSU is one of the most (if not the most)
important things in an overclocked computer, something that came in a
cheap case will be unable to give the power needed when you turn the power
up on a chip, I read a review the otherday (I will try to find the link)
where the CPU went from drawing ~70 amp to 150amp with a 50 MHz FSB clock.

I have read so many threads in support forums where the OP said the same
things as you have and then came back and said, Ok should have just got a
good PSU... it sorted everything.

But dont take my word for it, my 4200 is only running at 2750 @ 1.4v.

L.

--
Want to help to keep the best free usenet servers running ?
http://www.readfreenews.com

Old March 19th 07, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:00:23 +0000, Lenny_Nero wrote:

I will say it again, the PSU is one of the most (if not the most)
important things in an overclocked computer, something that came in a
cheap case will be unable to give the power needed when you turn the power
up on a chip, I read a review the otherday (I will try to find the link)
where the CPU went from drawing ~70 amp to 150amp with a 50 MHz FSB clock.

I have read so many threads in support forums where the OP said the same
things as you have and then came back and said, Ok should have just got a
good PSU... it sorted everything.

But dont take my word for it, my 4200 is only running at 2750 @ 1.4v.

You can say this til the cows come home and it will still be the stuff
the bull left in the field. I'm running the cheapest PSU I could find.
Think I paid about $25 for it. Yes, you need a PSU capable of enough watts
to support your hardware. Not it doesn't have to cost more than $25. In
the 20+ years I've been building PC's I've never used anything but cheap
PSU's. Never had a problem except one time when I bought a batch for $2
each. Had 20% failure rate on them. But even the ones that didn't fail
within the first month continued running to the point I didn't notice
any unusual failures. I'm using a Chiefmax in my PC now, I'd wager it
draws a lot more current than yours. Just the 4 HDTV PCI tuner cards in
probably draws more than an average PC. I've also got 5 drives in it. And
while i haven't had mine to 2750MHz, I have had both cores (it's an X2) to
2600MHz.

Yes you need good power. No it doesn't have to cost more than $25.

I bet you buy monster cables too.

Old March 19th 07, 02:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Amir Facade

Wes,
About 5 years ago I bought a $20 600watt PSU that you recommended, and its
still running. Haven't bought an expensive one since.
In my experience, if you've got a big number on the +12v line, you're going
to be fine. (don't just look at total watts)
Amir

Old March 19th 07, 06:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:08:54 -0400, Amir Facade wrote:

Wes,
About 5 years ago I bought a $20 600watt PSU that you recommended, and its
still running. Haven't bought an expensive one since.
In my experience, if you've got a big number on the +12v line, you're going
to be fine. (don't just look at total watts)
Amir

The major cost difference between PSU's is the manufacture and support
group salaries. The parts all cost about the same. There's at least 1 hour
of labor that goes into every PSU. In the US, that labor would cost $20.
In the far east, that labor will cost about 10 cents., Ditto for marketing
and support staff. Why this on beyond peoples understanding is beyond me.
Labor includes all parts and even the box it's shipped in. generally, all
the units are made overseas. When paying the extra for a more expensive
one, it's usually just for local country support people.