Compaq 5123SR Locks Up

Old July 31st 04, 10:09 PM
magasin

Default Compaq 5123SR Locks Up

System locks up after 20minutes to 2 hours if you run graphic related
programs. Even the slide show in My Pictures. It will lock up on
about anything but much quicker if running graphics. My son thought
it was the graphics card he added so I took it out and ran the embbed
board with the same results.

In Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Event Veiwer I find numerous
ERROR warnings. There was an Application Error for Moviemk.exe 40
minutes after upgrd'ing from W2K to WXP. Faulting Module
comdlg32.dll. Then numerous Application Hang for: moviemk.exe, ver.
2.0.3312.0, hang module hungapp,ver.0.0.0.0, hang address
0x00000000.

Anyone got Ideas. i'm at a loss over with way to go.
The plann is to replace comdlg32.dll and remove movie maker from the
pc.

==============
Old August 1st 04, 01:33 AM
Tom Scales

Try a clean install of XP, if you can. Upgrades are almost always flaky.

Tom
"magasin" wrote in message
System locks up after 20minutes to 2 hours if you run graphic related
programs. Even the slide show in My Pictures. It will lock up on
about anything but much quicker if running graphics. My son thought
it was the graphics card he added so I took it out and ran the embbed
board with the same results.

In Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Event Veiwer I find numerous
ERROR warnings. There was an Application Error for Moviemk.exe 40
minutes after upgrd'ing from W2K to WXP. Faulting Module
comdlg32.dll. Then numerous Application Hang for: moviemk.exe, ver.
2.0.3312.0, hang module hungapp,ver.0.0.0.0, hang address
0x00000000.

Anyone got Ideas. i'm at a loss over with way to go.
The plann is to replace comdlg32.dll and remove movie maker from the
pc.

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware

troubleshooting newsgroups.

Old August 1st 04, 04:07 AM
Ben Myers

If the computer is not too new, it could also be loaded with dust, or one of the
fans (on a graphics card?) is either burned out or not pulling enough air to
cool the graphics chip or the CPU chip. Open up the case. If you see a lot of
dust bunnies inside, clean out the interior of the computer, especially the
fans, unsing a can of compressed air... Ben Myers

Old August 1st 04, 04:26 AM
HH

Since XP will be the third OS installed (the 5123SR shipped with WinMe), I
second Tom's suggestion. Do a clean install of XP, especially if the change
from WinMe to W2K was an upgrade raather than a clean install.
HH

Old August 2nd 04, 09:09 AM
magasin

Tnx Tom that is one of the first things I did. Thought it might be
heat related.

Update: Found I had a faulty power line conditioner. It couldn't
stand the strain of have two pc's on it. And my spare monitor has a
intermittant hv arc.

Now neither iexplorer or firefox will go out on the net. Both open
and immediatly shut down. I'll try the clean install tommorow.

==============
Old August 23rd 04, 07:07 AM
serendippy522

Ooh...that horrible hungapp error. I had this problem for 4 months
on my brand new Dell, so I know how frustrated you are.

Fortunately, I have a fix for you! (At least it worked for me....)

Go to "Start"
Click on "Run"
In the box that pops up, type "msconfig" and click "OK".
On the new pop-up, click the file folder tap marked "Startup".
Click the "Disable All" button, then "Apply", then "Close".
When the new popup comes up asking you to restart your computer, do
it, and I promise it will be a brand new machine!!!

Good Luck!!!

==============
Old August 23rd 04, 10:30 AM
HH

The poster will need luck if he/she tries that. Unfortunately, doing so may
eliminate certain functions whose drivers load at bootup. HH

"serendippy522" wrote in
message ...

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 24th 04 02:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 17th 04 08:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM