Presario 6350US questions

Old August 21st 04, 05:47 AM
LJ

Default Presario 6350US questions

Hi to the group..
A friend of mine bought one of these computers and she complained that it
was slow. It has a P4- 2.4 Gig processor, 512 ram and a 80 Gig drive.
After checking the computer over, I too find the computer to be very
slow...slow in Defrag and not real responsive overall. I have checked for
virus' and spyware but nothing shows.

Is the performance of this machine in general, substandard?...If so what
would your recommendations be in upgrading the motherboard and case...It
seems the onboard video and sound can be replaced easily with a new
motherboard but that requires a new case...Your thoughts are appreciated.
I'd like to improve the overall speed of this computer and in the best way
possible for her. So I ask the experts on this newsgroup....

Thx...LJ

Old August 21st 04, 11:30 AM
HH

Two likely causes for the slow operation:
1. The hard drive is a 5,400 rpm drive, slow compared to the more common
today 7,200 and 10,000 rpm drives. You can replace the drive, but be sure
you have the QuickRestore CDs not just a recovery CD.
2.Video. the 6350 has only the integrated Intel video controller. There is
no AGP slot, so that cannot easily be upgraded.
Forget about a new motherboard, for reasons listed in the Compaq FAQ.
HH

Old August 21st 04, 11:32 AM
Tom Scales

HH is right, but I think there might be another reason.

Background programs. Run MSCONFIG and see what is running at startup and
carefully determine what doesn't need to run.

Also, make sure that indexing is turned off for the hard drive and that if
MS Office is installed that the Findfast utility is not running (in fact no
Office programs in the startup group).

Tom