Identifying Compaq Presario Model

Old August 3rd 04, 10:58 PM
ka6uup

Default Identifying Compaq Presario Model

I "inherited" a Compaq Presario but am unable to find a model number on it.
It has a curved front panel with an oval Plexiglass? door which slides
up to reveal a couple of UPS ports and what I believe is a Fire wire
port (marked with 1394)
It has a Aspen2 motherboard with an AMD Athlon k7 900 processor in a
long slot.
Can anyone help me identify it and refer me to a source for
documentation on the computer especially the mobo
TIA
Chuck

Old August 4th 04, 04:00 AM
ka6uup

Well, I did that plus tried the HP/Compaq website and could not find
anything.
Perhaps you could be more specific
Thanks
Chuck

HH wrote:
Uh, check the Compaq FAQ.
HH

Old August 4th 04, 04:09 AM
ka6uup

I should mention that there is no apparent model number anywhere on the
computer.
Chuck

HH wrote:

Uh, check the Compaq FAQ.
HH

Old August 4th 04, 11:11 AM
HH

Well, as usual, HP has dropped another helpful tool for its Compaq customers
(First, it was Consumer Tech Info where reasonably complete info on almost
ALL Presario desktops, laptops and accessories was available ). Now it's the
autodetect link on the main parts page.
I have updated the FAQ to correct this.
Anyway, you might try:
1. Hitting F10 at the Compaq logo at bootup to enter the BIOS and see if an
"Asset Tag" is listed, or:
2. Locating a little utility called Compaq Diagnostics for Windows. When
installed (it's available as a regular SoftPaq download) and run, it will
give detailed info, including an asset number which normally contains a
configuration code. You likely will have to search the FTP site for it or
possibly just pick another Presario model that had it, and used the same
Windows version that is installed on your Presario.
HH

"ka6uup" wrote in message
I should mention that there is no apparent model number anywhere on the
computer.
Chuck

HH wrote:

Uh, check the Compaq FAQ.
HH

Old August 13th 04, 10:50 PM
ka6uup

Thanks for your help.
It turns out to be a Presario 7994.
Chuck

"ka6uup" wrote in message

I should mention that there is no apparent model number anywhere on the
computer.
Chuck

HH wrote:

Uh, check the Compaq FAQ.
HH

. com...

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 24th 04 02:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 27th 04 06:21 PM