video format conversion

Old July 8th 09, 12:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Hactar

Default video format conversion

First, is it possible to convert 4-pin S-video to either component or
7-pin S-video?[1] I see adapters from 7-pin S-video to component all over
the place, and I have several. Extra power bricks are not a problem.
It should cost less than a VGA - component converter else there's no
point. Second, if so, how?

Anyone have success getting the Linux Nvidia driver to show color through
an S-video - composite adapter?[2] Maybe a kernel tweak is required?

[1] I have an EVGA Geforce 6200 in a computer I'm trying to turn into a
DVR. It has a _4-pin_ S-video out, but the amp doesn't have an
S-video in. I have to stick with analog video unless I want to convert
the computer, TV, and DVD player all three. (The amp won't convert
signal formats for me.) So, my choices are component or composite.
Component connections are much higher quality, but right now I have it
connected by composite.

[2] See, the way I have it set up now (using an S-video - composite
adapter) it shows the desktop in greyscale. I looked that problem up
on the web and all the solutions boiled down to "use S-video". Great,
would if I could. I know the hardware works because the Energystar
logo in the BIOS is in color.

--
-eben P http://royalty.mine.nu:81

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken
Old July 8th 09, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Hactar" wrote in message
First, is it possible to convert 4-pin S-video to either component or
7-pin S-video?[1] I see adapters from 7-pin S-video to component all over
the place, and I have several.

The 7-pin port is not S-video at all. It is simply component video in a
compact shell (so it fits on a video card backplate). That's why the adapter
cables are cheap: they simply split the wires into 3 plugs. Some cards have
a 9-pin port of the same diameter, for added video-in (VIVO) capability.

Anyone have success getting the Linux Nvidia driver to show color through
an S-video - composite adapter?[2] Maybe a kernel tweak is required?

Grayscale typically means Macrovision is kicking in. Why does the amp need
to receive a video signal? Does your TV have a spare S-video-in? What about
a composite in? If you bypass the amp, it may well remove the Macrovision
"protection".

[1] I have an EVGA Geforce 6200 in a computer I'm trying to turn into a
DVR. It has a _4-pin_ S-video out, but the amp doesn't have an
S-video in. I have to stick with analog video unless I want to convert
the computer, TV, and DVD player all three. (The amp won't convert
signal formats for me.) So, my choices are component or composite.
Component connections are much higher quality, but right now I have it
connected by composite.

[2] See, the way I have it set up now (using an S-video - composite
adapter) it shows the desktop in greyscale. I looked that problem up
on the web and all the solutions boiled down to "use S-video". Great,
would if I could. I know the hardware works because the Energystar
logo in the BIOS is in color.

The BIOS screen occurs before the nVidia driver kicks in. I am surprised you
can get the BIOS screen to show up through the S-video out port.

Old July 8th 09, 04:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Hactar' wrote, in part:
First, is it possible to convert 4-pin S-video to either component or
7-pin S-video?[1] I see adapters from 7-pin S-video to component all over
the place, and I have several. Extra power bricks are not a problem.
It should cost less than a VGA - component converter else there's no
point. Second, if so, how?

Anyone have success getting the Linux Nvidia driver to show color through
an S-video - composite adapter?[2] Maybe a kernel tweak is required?

..
..
..
_____

"S-video" is merely a two analog signal version of composite video. One
signal is the luminance (gray scale) video with sync pulses, the second
signal is just the chroma signal. For composite video, the chroma signal is
encoded and mixed with the luminance signal. The resulting mixture has less
resolution than "S-video" can provide. From your report it seems that your
"S-video" to composite video adapter is not working, or a conductor is
broken. All that is necessary to convert an analog "S-video" signal to an
analog composite signal is to mix the two signals, possibly running the
luminance signal through a low pass filter first. This should be a
completely passive filter consisting of the adapter shell and two 4-pin
connectors, plus a few resistors and capacitors.) The BIOS splash screen
displays BEFORE the video drivers are invoked, and BEFORE the operating
system is loaded. I suggest you borrow a device that HAS an "S-video" input
and check for color before and after the operating system is loaded.

As 'First of One' posted, a 7-pin connector is not an "S-video" connector.

Finally, have you tried using Google? Try the search string S-video to
composite adapter and you will find complete explanations and adapters
costing as little as $4 US.

Phil Weldon

Old July 8th 09, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Hactar

In article ,
First of One wrote:
"Hactar" wrote in message
First, is it possible to convert 4-pin S-video to either component or
7-pin S-video?[1] I see adapters from 7-pin S-video to component all over
the place, and I have several.

The 7-pin port is not S-video at all. It is simply component video in a
compact shell (so it fits on a video card backplate). That's why the adapter
cables are cheap: they simply split the wires into 3 plugs. Some cards have
a 9-pin port of the same diameter, for added video-in (VIVO) capability.

Noted. That's why conversion is easy I suppose.

Then is there any way to convert true S-video to anything besides composite?

Anyone have success getting the Linux Nvidia driver to show color through
an S-video - composite adapter?[2] Maybe a kernel tweak is required?

Grayscale typically means Macrovision is kicking in. Why does the amp need
to receive a video signal?

Automatic switching. Tell the amp "source=DVD" it routes DVD sound -
speakers and DVD video - TV. Same with the DVR.

Does your TV have a spare S-video-in? What about a composite in?

Both. I have a 4-way switch that handles S-video, composite, and sound too.

If you bypass the amp, it may well remove the Macrovision
"protection".

I'll try that. One of my goals was to get an amp that handled video so
I could ditch the manual switch.

[2] See, the way I have it set up now (using an S-video - composite
adapter) it shows the desktop in greyscale. I looked that problem up
on the web and all the solutions boiled down to "use S-video". Great,
would if I could. I know the hardware works because the Energystar
logo in the BIOS is in color.

The BIOS screen occurs before the nVidia driver kicks in. I am surprised you
can get the BIOS screen to show up through the S-video out port.

Yep, memory countup, drive enumeration, the lot. I gather that before
the OS loads the card simply mirrors the video stream on VGA, DVI and
S-video.

--
-eben P royalty.mine.nu:81
A: It's annoying as hell

http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html
Old July 8th 09, 05:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Hactar" wrote in message
Then is there any way to convert true S-video to anything besides
composite?

There is no easy/cheap way. If you can see the BIOS in color, then the
S-video to composite adapter is probably working correctly. This is most
likely Macrovision or a driver quirk, so converting the S-video signal to
anything else won't solve the problem.

If you bypass the amp, it may well remove the Macrovision
"protection".

I'll try that. One of my goals was to get an amp that handled video so
I could ditch the manual switch.

Most decent TVs made in the last 10 years should have an input selector,
often a button on the remote. Then you can have the PC connected to the TV
directly, while your other devices go through the amp, and not use the
manual switch.

Old July 8th 09, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Hactar

In article ,
Phil Weldon wrote:
'Hactar' wrote, in part:
[...]

The hardware acts like it works, since I get color in the BIOS. The
adapter's a piece of molded plastic anyhow (like those DVI-VGA adapters),
so a broken wire is unlikely.

All that is necessary to convert an analog "S-video" signal to an
analog composite signal is to mix the two signals, possibly running the
luminance signal through a low pass filter first. This should be a
completely passive filter consisting of the adapter shell and two 4-pin
connectors,

Why two?

plus a few resistors and capacitors.)

The BIOS splash screen displays BEFORE the video drivers are invoked,
and BEFORE the operating system is loaded.

Indeed. By that nature, it shows the capabilities of the hardware
alone.

I suggest you borrow a device that HAS an "S-video" input
and check for color before and after the operating system is loaded.

As 'First of One' posted, a 7-pin connector is not an "S-video" connector.

Finally, have you tried using Google?

Yes. All of the solutions boiled down to "use S-video" which isn't an
option for me (amp doesn't do S-video). Sure, I could use it if I went
to manual switching. I have the switch and enough S-video cables.

Try the search string S-video to composite adapter and you will find
complete explanations and adapters costing as little as $4 US.

Yes, got one. Radio Shack and the local computer store each sell one
also. However, I was trying _not_ to use composite since it looks bad
(relatively speaking).

--
-eben P royalty.mine.nu:81
A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read.

http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html

#1. "Why two?" So the chroma frequencies will not interfere with detail in
the luminance signal. A device that has a composite video input must
separate the chroma signal from the luminance signal before further
processing the signal. The luminance signal eventually controls the
brightness of each pixel on the screen while the chroma signal is decoded
into three color signals, one each for Red, Green, and Blue. Separating the
the chrominance signal out reduces the resolution of the luminance signal
and thus the resolution of the image on the screen.

#2. "Indeed. By that nature, it shows the capabilities of the hardware
alone." True, but not sufficient for diagnosis. For example, the video
card may output composite video during the splash screen BECAUSE THE VIDEO
CARD BIOS IS NOT FULL INVOKED. Don't jump to conclusions. That's why I
suggested using a device that accepts 'S-video' input as a check.

#3. "Yes, got one. Radio Shack and the local computer store each sell one
also. However, I was trying _not_ to use composite since it looks bad
(relatively speaking)." Well, yes, composite video will look worse than
'S-video', component video, or any kind of digital video. That's the nature
of composite video. No conversion of composite video to 'S-video',
component video, or digital video will improve the original image. Most
likely the result will be a degraded image.

Phil Weldon

"Hactar" wrote in message
In article ,
Phil Weldon wrote:
'Hactar' wrote, in part:
[...]

A: Because it looks dumb and is hard to read.

Old July 9th 09, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Hactar

In article ,
First of One wrote:
"Hactar" wrote in message
Then is there any way to convert true S-video to anything besides
composite?

There is no easy/cheap way. If you can see the BIOS in color, then the
S-video to composite adapter is probably working correctly. This is most
likely Macrovision or a driver quirk, so converting the S-video signal to
anything else won't solve the problem.

Macrovision in the amp? OK. Sucks that the amp is preprocessing my
data stream.

As to the driver, if the "Mythbuntu" logo should be in color (I don't
see it that way) then since that appears way before X and the Nvidia
driver load, it would have to be an OS bug.

If you bypass the amp, it may well remove the Macrovision
"protection".

I'll try that. One of my goals was to get an amp that handled video so
I could ditch the manual switch.

Most decent TVs made in the last 10 years should have an input selector,
often a button on the remote. Then you can have the PC connected to the TV
directly, while your other devices go through the amp, and not use the
manual switch.

I think in this TV S-video is automatically used if present, else it
falls back to composite. There are no component or digital inputs or
a way to pick the input (other than whatever it calls AUX).

--
The people don't want war, but it is a simple matter to drag the people
along. The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.