A good cheap system?

Old June 10th 09, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
IP Daley

Default A good cheap system?

I've built maybe 10 systems but the last one was a few yrs ago so I'm
completely out of touch. I mostly used AMD an overclocked them. Fond of Abit
mobos. I usually shop at Newegg.

So, what's a good basic non-gaming system for the money? I'll be using Win7
(don't include in price). I just bought a new Acer 23" 9:16 black monitor
for $170 so I'd like a case to match. Say we aim for $230 to keep the total
at $400. I have a new IDE DVD burner so I'll put that in it (I assume most
mobos still have a port). I have good speakers, mouse and KB. I have some
IDE HDDs. Is it worth reusing them?

Thanks

IP Daley

Old June 10th 09, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

"IP Daley" wrote in message
m...
I've built maybe 10 systems but the last one was a few yrs ago so I'm
completely out of touch. I mostly used AMD an overclocked them. Fond of
Abit mobos. I usually shop at Newegg.

So, what's a good basic non-gaming system for the money? I'll be using
Win7 (don't include in price). I just bought a new Acer 23" 9:16 black
monitor for $170 so I'd like a case to match. Say we aim for $230 to keep
the total at $400. I have a new IDE DVD burner so I'll put that in it (I
assume most mobos still have a port). I have good speakers, mouse and KB.
I have some IDE HDDs. Is it worth reusing them?

Thanks

IP Daley

Just go to NewEgg and see what they presently have...
the last two motherboards I got from them were priced quite low and worked
great.

The only thing is, IDE is being phased out and if you find any boards that
still have IDE...
there may be only one channel...so you may be limited to just two IDE
devices.

Old June 10th 09, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
IP Daley

"philo" wrote in message

"IP Daley" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, one IDE port would do. Are people still overclocking? I've OCed like 5
AMD systems easily. I always end up with pirated OSes even when I own it.
Even if I waited and got a Dell with Win7 I'd probly use pirated. Tho I
think they will be offering free upgrades soon. I haven't bought a PC since
my first Dell in '94...lol. A P75 that I fianlly realized would run at
100MHz....zoom!.

IP Daley

Old June 10th 09, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Phil Weldon[_2_]

" wrote, in part:
Yeah, one IDE port would do. Are people still overclocking? I've OCed like
5 AMD systems easily. I always end up with pirated OSes even when I own
it. Even if I waited and got a Dell with Win7 I'd probly use pirated. Tho
I think they will be offering free upgrades soon. I haven't bought a PC
since my first Dell in '94...lol. A P75 that I fianlly realized would run
at 100MHz....zoom!.

____

As for one IDE channel, an IDE hard drive won't have particularly good
performance when paired with an IDE DVD drive. On the other hand, a pirated
OS will put your machine at enough risk to make other problems seem trivial.

Phil Weldon

"IP Daley" wrote in message
m...

"philo" wrote in messag

Old June 10th 09, 07:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
cyg

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
On the other hand, a pirated OS will put your machine at enough risk to
make other problems seem trivial.

WGA puts your machine at enough risk that piracy is a lateral move.

Old June 10th 09, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
bobmct

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 21:30:43 -0400, "IP Daley" wrote:

I've built maybe 10 systems but the last one was a few yrs ago so I'm
completely out of touch. I mostly used AMD an overclocked them. Fond of Abit
mobos. I usually shop at Newegg.

So, what's a good basic non-gaming system for the money? I'll be using Win7
(don't include in price). I just bought a new Acer 23" 9:16 black monitor
for $170 so I'd like a case to match. Say we aim for $230 to keep the total
at $400. I have a new IDE DVD burner so I'll put that in it (I assume most
mobos still have a port). I have good speakers, mouse and KB. I have some
IDE HDDs. Is it worth reusing them?

Thanks

IP Daley

available. Although they are not abit mb's the product is engineered
very well, is quite small and powerful. And, it will go great with
your new black monitor.

Good luck
Old June 10th 09, 03:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

IP Daley wrote:
I've built maybe 10 systems but the last one was a few yrs ago so I'm
completely out of touch. I mostly used AMD an overclocked them. Fond of Abit
mobos. I usually shop at Newegg.

So, what's a good basic non-gaming system for the money? I'll be using Win7
(don't include in price). I just bought a new Acer 23" 9:16 black monitor
for $170 so I'd like a case to match. Say we aim for $230 to keep the total
at $400. I have a new IDE DVD burner so I'll put that in it (I assume most
mobos still have a port). I have good speakers, mouse and KB. I have some
IDE HDDs. Is it worth reusing them?

Thanks

IP Daley

You know that Abit (Uabit), stopped manufacturing motherboards at the
end of 2008. There is still warranty service available for whatever
period still exists on their warranties. I would not buy an Abit
board now (you may see cheap ones around, but consider how
willing and able the company is to support them). Some
info on the company history can be found here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_abit

Paul

Old June 10th 09, 06:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_2_]

"cyg" wrote:

WGA puts your machine at enough risk that piracy is a lateral move.

The only "risk" from using WGA is getting caught using pirated software.

No pirate = no risk, it's just that simple.

Jon

Old June 11th 09, 02:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
cyg

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"cyg" wrote:

WGA puts your machine at enough risk that piracy is a lateral move.

The only "risk" from using WGA is getting caught using pirated software.

No pirate = no risk, it's just that simple.

Jon

This is a fairly ignorant attitude. For starters:
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8690.ars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...age#Criticisms

You can Google for the rest, but please don't spread blatant falsehoods.

Old June 11th 09, 05:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'cyg' wrote:
This is a fairly ignorant attitude. For starters:
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8690.ars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...age#Criticisms

You can Google for the rest, but please don't spread blatant falsehoods.

_____

FAIRLY ignorant is comparing WGA potential problems with pirateware OS
potential problems. Dishonest is USING pirateware OS.

Phil Weldon