Which external portable HDD to get these days?

Old August 4th 08, 06:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Default Which external portable HDD to get these days?

Hi all.

I am in a need to get another external portal HDD for mostly backups.
It can be a name brand bundled one or enclosure + HDD. However, it has
to be from cdw.com since my boss and employer said so (dumb, I know -- I
guess it is the contracts or discounts?).

Anyways, I need a big HDD that will carry lots of BIG files (usually GB
sized) and will be used in mostly Windows XP, Vista, and future Windows.
Firewire is an option, but not required. I definitely need a fast USB 2
connection (these machines are over three years old and will get new
machines eventually). I do NOT need those fancy software, encryption,
etc. I just need storage to switch between many different Windows
machines (mostly Dell). I don't care about colors and sizes either since
they will be on the floor or desk). AC power is fine if needed. The
portable drive needs to be stay cool (hated Maxtor OneTouch that got
super hot even in AC environments and many broke down in the past from
others' and my experiences).

So, please kindly list which ones (enclosures, HDD brands, and bundled
ones) are the best to get. In the past, I told StarTech was good. Is
this still true today?

Thank you in advance.
--
"The ants and termites have renounced the Hobbesian war." --Petr
Kropotkin
( )

Old August 4th 08, 08:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Ant wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but do your own work. Unless you are willing to pay a
consulting fee?

Arno
Old August 4th 08, 09:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote:
Hi all.

I am in a need to get another external portal HDD for mostly backups.
It can be a name brand bundled one or enclosure + HDD. However, it has
to be from cdw.com since my boss and employer said so (dumb, I know
-- I guess it is the contracts or discounts?).

Anyways, I need a big HDD that will carry lots of BIG files (usually GB sized)

You dont say what total size you need.

and will be used in mostly Windows XP, Vista, and future
Windows. Firewire is an option, but not required. I definitely need a
fast USB 2 connection (these machines are over three years old and
will get new machines eventually). I do NOT need those fancy
software, encryption, etc. I just need storage to switch between many
different Windows machines (mostly Dell). I don't care about colors
and sizes either since they will be on the floor or desk). AC power
is fine if needed. The portable drive needs to be stay cool (hated
Maxtor OneTouch that got super hot even in AC environments and
many broke down in the past from others' and my experiences).

One approach is to get one that uses a 2.5" drive. Those run
much cooler than 3.5" drives but do have less total capacity.

Old August 4th 08, 11:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

To really stay cool and quiet:

Might have some lemons, so get an extra:

Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old August 4th 08, 11:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Arno Wagner wrote:
Sorry, but do your own work. Unless you are willing to pay a
consulting fee?

Arno, he's looking for people who have experience with external HD's or
have already seen some good reviews.

Old August 4th 08, 11:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

One thing to watch out for is a chipset or Windows incompatibility where
certain units must be inserted into USB and detached only during the
Windows session. Otherwise things can lock up. I have that problem on my
nforce 3 motherboard with some units.

Old August 5th 08, 12:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Squeeze

Ed Light wrote in
Arno Wagner wrote:
Sorry, but do your own work. Unless you are willing to pay a consulting fee?

Arno, he's looking for people who have experience with external HD's or
have already seen some good reviews.

Babblebot made a fool of himself this weekend and needs to blow off steam.
Old August 5th 08, 01:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Ed Light wrote:
Arno Wagner wrote:
Sorry, but do your own work. Unless you are willing to pay a
consulting fee?

Arno, he's looking for people who have experience with external HD's or
have already seen some good reviews.

Thank you. There are so many brands and models! Which ones are the best?
From there, I can narrow down. The big part is that only from cdw.com.

Old August 5th 08, 01:03 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

I am in a need to get another external portal HDD for mostly backups.
It can be a name brand bundled one or enclosure + HDD. However, it has
to be from cdw.com since my boss and employer said so (dumb, I know
-- I guess it is the contracts or discounts?).

Anyways, I need a big HDD that will carry lots of BIG files (usually GB sized)

You dont say what total size you need.

Um, smallest to biggest on cdw.com. I will narrow down once I have
enough on my list.

[...]

Aren't 2.5" slower? I am willing to sacrifice for bigger physical sizes
(disk space and dimensions) for faster speed. Are there enclosures that
can use both 2.5" and 3.5"?
Old August 5th 08, 01:08 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

HDD noises aren't a problem. There are much louder noises like people
talking, loud typers like me, phone ringings, etc.

Awesome. http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...px?edc=1238243 has
this enclosure. I might try this. This only does SATA and does it do
both 2.5 and 3.5" sizes? I don't see it in the specifications.

Well, my employer will be paying for it (not me). I just need a
reliable one.

Bummer on the bad reviews on power cable. My old HP Photosmart
printer is like that. Hopefully, I won't need to move around too much
after hooking the HDD up.