USB 1.1 or 2.0

Old August 28th 03, 05:03 PM
craig callinan

Default USB 1.1 or 2.0

Can anyone tell me how I can determine whether I have USB 2.0 or 1.1? Dell
told me I could find this information in the BIOS. I looked. It's not
there. Can't find it in Device Manager either.

Responding via email would be best.

Thanks,

Craig

Old August 29th 03, 04:29 AM
Marc Reinig

If this is Windows, go to the Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device
Manager.

Click on Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Look down the list.

If you see OHCI or Open Host Controller or UHCI or Universal Host
Controller, you have a USB 1.1 controller.

If you see EHCI or Ehnahced Host Controller, you have a USB 2.0 USB
controller. If you see an EHCI controller, you should also see a UHCI or
OHCI controller as well.

Marc Reinig
System Solutions

"Mark F." wrote in message
craig callinan wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how I can determine whether I have USB 2.0 or 1.1?

Dell
told me I could find this information in the BIOS. I looked. It's not
there. Can't find it in Device Manager either.

Responding via email would be best.

Thanks,

Craig

You haven't said which OS or BIOS you have so I can't tell you which

screen
to find it on. Generally speaking, the Device Manager will / should tell

you
the "hardware" version of the USB. You want to select the "host

controller"
for the installed USB device then click "properties" and then select the
"General" tab in the dialog. The label "Hardware Version:" will have the
USB version (e.g., 002). The driver version is the version of the driver
software (e.g., v4.01).

Old August 29th 03, 11:08 AM
Ben

Ive wondered about this question too - thanks Marc - I believe the only
differance between 1.1 and 2.0
is that 2.0 has more bandwidth - is this correct ?
Ben

m...

Old August 29th 03, 04:48 PM
Marc Reinig

From a users point of view, yes (more or less).

But that is like saying the only difference between a Ferrari and a Mac
Truck is the Ferrari goes faster. ;=)

Marc Reinig
System Solutions