Saving files to CD and retaining original file dates

Old November 18th 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dolphin~Smile

Default Saving files to CD and retaining original file dates

Im having problems on my partners computer copying files from hard
drive to CD. The file copies on the CD show the date copied not the
original file date which is important to her.

I know there must be away round it but am being lazy and asking here
first!

)

Many Thanks for any help.
Old November 19th 07, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj
http://tinyurl.com/gqnae
http://tinyurl.com/2qnvph
http://tinyurl.com/38wte6

(No Mikey S-Lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a )
(LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels & misquotes!)
'

Dolphin~Smile wrote:

Im having problems on my partners computer copying files from hard
drive to CD. The file copies on the CD show the date copied not the
original file date which is important to her.

What software (and its full version number) are you using for copying?
It should not change the "Modified" date.

==========================
Subject: Easy CD Creator's Timestamp Problem on Windows 2000/XP
Date: 3/29/03

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") moaned:

I'd assume other issues take precedence;
not much of a bug IMO anyway...

How 'bout I nab your penis and smash it with a hammer,
mother****er!

LOL !!! LOL !!! LOL !!!
=======================
Old November 21st 07, 10:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
David Webb

It would help if we knew what operating system was involved in this and exactly
what process was used to copy these files.

Also, if there are a large amount of files involved, do you want any backup
recommendations?

Old November 21st 07, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dolphin~Smile

Windows Vista and using a straight copy and paste from a hard drive
folder to the CDR.

Any help appreciated.

On Nov 21, 10:31�am, "David Webb" wrote:
It would help if we knew what operating system was involved in this and exactly
what process was used to copy these files.

Also, if there are a large amount of files involved, do you want any backup
recommendations?

"Dolphin~Smile" wrote in message

Im having problems on my partners computer copying files from hard
drive to CD. The file copies on the CD show the date copied not the
original file date which is important to her.

I know there must be away round it but am being lazy and asking here
first!

)

Many Thanks for any help.- Hide quoted text -

Old November 21st 07, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
David Webb

Sorry, but I'm running Windows XP Pro and I don't presently have access to a
Vista system to test its behavior. I did find this website which describes the
Vista procedu
http://itsvista.com/2006/12/itsvista...-cd-with-vista

This article states that the procedure is virtually identical to how it works in
XP. If that's the case, you are not making a direct copy & paste to the CD
media. The files are placed in a temporary folder until you're ready to burn
them. This has no effect on your file date issue. It appears that there is no
method to force the actual file dates to be maintained during these procedures.

There is another method, called packet-writing, which requires additional 3rd
party software. This would allow you to drag & drop files directly to the
burner, but I don't recommend it.

Have you considered using USB thumb drives or installing an external USB drive?
These would allow one to utilize scheduled backup utilities where file dates are
maintained.

I use an external 160 GB USB drive for all of my backups, scheduled and
non-scheduled. I use Arconis True Image for bi-weekly backups of my various
partitions and it also does my e-mail files and data files on a daily basis. My
financial program backs up to it after every usage. In the past, I've used
NTbackup for data files and Outlook Backup for e-mail, but Acronis now does
these now.

The nice thing about having an external drive to store all the backups is that I
can take it with me when I travel or in case of an emergency. And if the system
hard drive fails, I can recreate all partitions and current data to a new drive.

So my main point is this, for backup of critical files, I don't like to rely on
a manual system especially one that requires the use of re-writable CD
media...I've had cases where the data just disappeared too many times.

HTH & Good luck!

Old November 22nd 07, 04:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dave Cohen

Dolphin~Smile wrote:
Im having problems on my partners computer copying files from hard
drive to CD. The file copies on the CD show the date copied not the
original file date which is important to her.

I know there must be away round it but am being lazy and asking here
first!

)

Many Thanks for any help.

I don't know what you are using. My Record Now has an option under
advanced to retain original or use date burned. The former is the
default. I imagine other packages will either offer that option or
simply not change the date. It looks like you are using the native
windows burning utility. I had problems with that in winxp. If you don't
have a burning program I used to have good luck with burn4free but you
would have to try it to see if it messes with date/time stamp.
Dave Cohen

print to file - without altering the original file [email protected] Printers 3 June 5th 07 06:55 PM
Saving MOV extension files on a CD [email protected] Cdr 3 April 29th 06 01:36 PM
What to do with nri files? when the dvd shows no files in an ordinary file handler rayk334 Cdr 1 September 26th 05 02:22 PM
Saving a Bios file EB Dell Computers 1 January 11th 05 09:57 PM
Retaining MP3 file Names Using Nero Burning Software Robert D. McManaway Cdr 1 August 7th 03 04:26 AM