Identifying HW that XP hates..

Old November 23rd 03, 07:25 AM
Brian Link

Default Identifying HW that XP hates..

I've installed XP on this machine a couple times now. Running Win2k
atm. It'll run for an hour or two or three then lock up utterly. No
mouse, HD, Ctl-Alt-Del. Not even soft-off switch will recycle, just
gotta shut off the power.

I've basically run the whole machine with only the vid card (and then
another vid card), both of which operate XP fine on another machine.
I've never had it lock up in Safe Mode, though I haven't really
exercised that much.

Mainboard checks out as XP compatible, Shuttle AK-47 iirc.. (is that
REALLY the model number? yeesh). Memory also good. IDE1 has 1 hard
drive (c, IDE2 has 1 hard drive + CDR (yes, it fails with only c: on
IDE1)

All applicable MSKB checks/fixes come up wanting.

Anyway, for you folks who do more tinkering than I do, what would be
your strategies for diagnosing this? I'd hate to buy another MB if I
can avoid it.

Thanks for any tips.

BLink
Brian Link in St. Paul
----------------------
"Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features,
doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight
accident."
Old November 23rd 03, 08:10 AM
MrToad

Brian Link Ran in the back door and shouted
news
[...]

Are you getting a stop error, [blue screen?], or is it just "freezing".
Freezing is *almost always* a hardware problem.
Stop errors are software/configuration errors, *usually*.
Helps if you narrow it down....

--
MrToad

Old November 23rd 03, 04:19 PM
Ric

Brian Link wrote:
[...]

if it's on the Hardware Compatibilty List, it'll work.
summat is up with yours however. sounds like hardwa check temps, reseat
memory and all cards, check your heatsink is properly fitted. try some
different RAM if you ahve it.

ric

Old November 24th 03, 05:45 AM
Brian Link

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:10:25 -0000, MrToad nospam@nospam wrote:

[...]

Ya, it's a freeze. I think I've swapped n switched pretty much
everything cept the MB. =P

BLink
Brian Link in St. Paul