Additional issues

Old February 10th 08, 04:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
algae

Default Additional issues

I'm afraid I will wear out my welcome here Having figured out my
power supply issue (post below) here is what happened.
I powered the pc up and I got the beep code that indicates no VGA . My
video card is a 8800 gts and it's in the uppermost blue slot. I
checked the connections and now it is emitting a shrill whistling
sound. Obviously something is wrong but I thought I'd run it by you
guys to see what you make of it?
Should I try the black slot?
Gary
Old February 10th 08, 04:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

algae wrote:
I'm afraid I will wear out my welcome here Having figured out my
power supply issue (post below) here is what happened.
I powered the pc up and I got the beep code that indicates no VGA . My
video card is a 8800 gts and it's in the uppermost blue slot. I
checked the connections and now it is emitting a shrill whistling
sound. Obviously something is wrong but I thought I'd run it by you
guys to see what you make of it?
Should I try the black slot?
Gary

Have you read the manual for that Silverstone. There is a dangerous
connector mentioned. I hope you haven't connected something
called "EPS12V 6 pin" to your video card. The video card should
have a PCI Express connector with three yellow wires and three
black wires. If the color scheme doesn't match that one, then
figure out what you've connected.

My assumption is we're talking about sst-st60f.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/st60fmanual.pdf

The whistling sound means something is not right, as you surmise.

I would switch back to the other supply, as it may have a
safer set of connectors. If you look at the reviews on
Newegg for the ST60F, they aren't very good - the supply
doesn't last.

I'm still going through the manual, to see if I can make sense of the
wiring pattern used. As you'd expect 12V1 and 12V2 are on the
2x4 EPS12V connector, which is fine if you're going to split the
connector into two 2x2 pieces.

The supply also has a weird minimum loading spec for the 5V
rail, based on the current load on the 12V rail. Which suggests
the thing is not independent. Maybe the 5V and 12V are on the
same output transformer ?

But right now, I'm most worried about that "EPS12V 6 pin" thing.

Paul
Old February 10th 08, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
roach

"algae" wrote in message
I'm afraid I will wear out my welcome here Having figured out my
power supply issue (post below) here is what happened.
I powered the pc up and I got the beep code that indicates no VGA . My
video card is a 8800 gts and it's in the uppermost blue slot. I
checked the connections and now it is emitting a shrill whistling
sound. Obviously something is wrong but I thought I'd run it by you
guys to see what you make of it?
Should I try the black slot?
Gary

Just attach the correct 6 pin connecter to the graphics card

thats it!!

roach