ASUS K8N-E Deluxe ( Deluxe problem)

Old April 7th 06, 12:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default ASUS K8N-E Deluxe ( Deluxe problem)

I've never used an ASUS Board, but ordered one to build a new system
last Dec. Asus K8N-E Deluxe, AMD 1.8Ghz, lotsa Ram, MSI 128Mb
video(FX5200), 400Watt PS, yada yada yada

When loading WinXP pro, the system will reboot at the point where
it's "Loading FAT file system" ... and proceed to the same
point and reboot, ad infinitum...

I found that by removing one of the 512MB ram sticks, the system would
proceed as expected. If you install more than 512 MB it will repeat
the above. The system has 3 DIMM slots,but I can only use one and
for no more than 512 MB

Thinking there was a DIMM slot problem, I returned the board to
Compuvest.com (a,renegade company...) in January, which is a story in
itself.... They returned another (different?) board, which as of
today, I find, does the exact same thing, as above.

Now, I know how to build a system. Maybe I haven't kept up with the
latest tech edges, but this problem seems to be odd enough to have
happened to others. Yet, I can't find a soul who has the slightest
idea why it's doing, what it does.

I'd venture to say now, that the BIOS should be flashed, but again,
can't find a word of advise on how to do it. ASUS .com does a good
job of insulating themselves by requiring reams of information, to
the point you give up.
Of the few Forums, I've gone thru the pains of joining and writing
this experience over and over, I get absolutely stupid responses....

So, I'm somewhat irritated......

Barring the Bios fix, I'd like a perspective on, why it's doing, what
it's doing.

Is there any help here?

thanks

(Please copy to my email address with any responses)

Old April 7th 06, 12:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

rjohnsto wrote:
[...]

Well, I see the Forum I joined onto last night, just puts their
registerees questions onto a newsgroup....
and
Finding this NG just now ( shows I'm persistant), I downloaded all 9055
messages, searched them and none address flashing a K8N bios.... It
would almost suggest that a K8N is, either a flawless board ... or
maybe no one ever bought one...

will await anyones perspective, on the above problem...

thanks in advance.....
Old April 7th 06, 01:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

StoneyStude wrote:
rjohnsto wrote:

I've never used an ASUS Board, but ordered one to build a new system
last Dec. Asus K8N-E Deluxe, AMD 1.8Ghz, lotsa Ram, MSI 128Mb
video(FX5200), 400Watt PS, yada yada yada

Dear RJ,

power supply is the "heart" of any system, "400W" sort of like saying "I
have a car": can be a beat up 1977 Ford Pinto, or a new Lexus LS
400--both cars, big difference. Hope it is a name brand power supply:
PC Power/Cooling, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, etc....

When loading WinXP pro, the system will reboot at the point where
it's "Loading FAT file system" ... and proceed to the same
point and reboot, ad infinitum...

1) hard drive failure?
2) Corrupt file system? (And, by the way, NTFS better than FAT32 for a
variety of reasons....)

I found that by removing one of the 512MB ram sticks, the system would
proceed as expected. If you install more than 512 MB it will repeat
the above.

Sounds like a bad stick of RAM. I have gotten more of these lately than
I have in many years of working with PCs: not sure why. Did you run
MEMTEST on each individual stick? Memory problems can be hard to
diagnose at times....

The system has 3 DIMM slots,but I can only use one and
for no more than 512 MB

Lotsa Ram: sounds like you have 512 x 3? Not to sound like a brand
snob, but, name brand like Corsair, Micron, Kingston?

Thinking there was a DIMM slot problem, I returned the board to
Compuvest.com (a,renegade company...) in January, which is a story in
itself.... They returned another (different?) board, which as of
today, I find, does the exact same thing, as above.

Board may not be the problem....as above, might be RAM (MEMTEST will
isolate this, since hard drive not required), hard drive (diagnostics?
and, dare I say it, good name brand hard drive? You didn't buy a used
IBM Deathstar, did you?)

Now, I know how to build a system. Maybe I haven't kept up with the
latest tech edges, but this problem seems to be odd enough to have
happened to others. Yet, I can't find a soul who has the slightest
idea why it's doing what it does.

1) suspect bad RAM module
2) Bad RAM module might have hosed files on your hard drive....making it
look flaky
3) Bad RAM more likely than bad DIMM slot....RAM has literally millions
of possible failure points...DIMM slot much more low tech....

I'd venture to say now, that the BIOS should be flashed, but again,
can't find a word of advise on how to do it. ASUS .com does a good
job of insulating themselves by requiring reams of information, to
the point you give up.

Wouldn't flash BIOS unless you know it will fix the problem....

How to upgrade BIOS:

http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...Language=en-us

Latest versions:

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

But, as I said, I would *NOT* flash BIOS unless you know all other
components are working well--flashing BIOS with a bad stick of RAM? Not
a good idea....

HTH, please let us know how it goes,

BC
Old April 7th 06, 04:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

BC wrote:
StoneyStude wrote:
rjohnsto wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply,
Hopefully, I didn't come across as a smartass, but last night "there
was a little wine doing some talking". This has been really
frustrating. Here are a few more specifics....

Case/ power supply is an Antec -

Hard drive is a 60Gb Seagate, in fine shape, previously used, never had
an OS, except for command.com to get to it in an emergency. Can boot
from CDrom and go to C: and read write ok, etc.

I also installed a brand new, Seagate 160Gb SATA drive with the same
results.---

RAM - first bought 2X512Mb PC3200 V-data and first experienced the
problem. Then found the ASUS recommended list, so I tried 2X512Mb
Kingston (PC2700), thinking iot was a frequency issue(no help). Then
1Gb Kingston with no change... You can only use one 512 of anything to
make it load correctly... (It's getting a bit costly to build this
system now!)

The boot load actually gets to 'Loading NTFS file system" before it
craps out and reboots.... All this stuff is loaded into a RAMDISK
anyway (memory) on initial load, isn't it? (Don't forget, it will load
the entire OS fine with only one 512 stick, but as soon as you go
beyond, it craters...)

I even tried a Win2K load and it goes to the point where you have to
respond aout loading, fixing, etc. Pressing the 'enter' key to load the
OS returns a "Checking system" and stays there ( at least 24 hours...)

The only other thing on the board is the video card ( MSI FX5200) and it
was on the ASUS approvd list... No way to plug a monitor in without a
video card, so I can't remove it..

So where do you go from here. You don't have to tell me not to touch
the BIOS, except as a last resort (Ask me why I know that) and would
think that if it were required, it would be in big bold notation on the
box...

So, now two different motherboards, with the same problem and no one
ever heard of this..

See where I'm coming from?

I sense you're a Windows fan, because of the NTFS remark. I can't say I
am, to any great degree, as I retired a couple years ago after being a
Unix type for 30 years. PC's with Windows were mandated as office
equipment and I had some exposure to building and troubleshooting...)
( Yes I can go to Linux, but am not interested in another learning
curve, right now.. believe it or not, retirement doesn't give you any
free time.)
Old April 7th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article _usZf.40506$C85.38580@dukeread10, StoneyStude
wrote:

rjohnsto wrote:
[...]

First, get yourself a copy of memtest86+ from www.memtest.org .
You can make yourself a test floppy or a test CD, to test the
memory.

In your BIOS (section 4.4.5 of the manual), there is a "memclock
mode" setting. Set that to [Manual]. Now, that should give you
an additional setting. Set the "Memclock Value" to DDR333.
The "1T/2T Timing" should already be at [Auto]. I'd recommend
setting it to 2T if the setting existed, but Auto is the best
you can do there.

In section 4.4.2 of the manual, there is a "DDR RAM Voltage" setting.
Set that to [2.7V].

Now, get a copy of CPUZ from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php .
That tool should allow you to verify what the BIOS has done,
once Windows is booted.

The best position for your two memory sticks, is in slot 1
and slot 3. The S754 processor has two address busses, one
is connected only to slot 1 and the other bus drives
slot 2 and slot 3. To make the loading even, you should use
slot 1, plus one of the other two slots. I think slot 1 and
slot 3 should be the best overall choice.

This is a common complaint for S754 boards. The memory
controller is in the processor itself, so the problem
follows the processor around, and not the motherboard model.
You'd have run into problems with other boards as well.

If memtest86+ does at least two passes error free, after
you've tuned up the memory settings, try booting into Windows.
If you get there OK, download a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org
and run that. There is a "torture test" option in that program,
which carries out a calculation with a known answer, and it is
a reasonably good test that the processor can run at 100% without
problems. If you are a gamer, you can follow that up with some
games for a few hours, as a final test that all is well.

HTH,
Paul
Old April 8th 06, 03:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

wrote:

rjohnsto wrote:
[...]

Thanks, this is the long awaited, evasive, educated response. I've
acquired Memtest back in January and thought it ran without any issues.
Further, early on, I purchased more memory, in attempting to remedy
the problem. Initial load was 2X512MB in Dimm1 and Dimm2 (DDR400), then
2X512Mb @ DDR333 in Dimm1 and 2, then a 1Gb at DDR333 in Dimm1. The
last two types were from Kingston, but all gave the same result with the
OS Load. Right now, I can't run more than 512 (in any slot) or the
system craters.
I had someone a few months ago mention tweaking the voltage to the
Dimm slots, but I thought the respondee was smoking something. I'd never
fool with a new board that way, but if great minds think alike, then
I'll give it a shot.. I did notice the manual showed that you could
assign memory to odd slots, vs 1,2, then 3. It didn't elaborate on the
reason. I'll try slots 1 and 3 as you recommend. Since the 1GB and 2
of the 512's are DDR333, I'll see if the manual mentions mixing
them....( may as well use them all, but after this episode is resolved.)
Just acquired CPUZ and will load that too. Will try tomorrow AM
to clear all this up.
Many thanks for your time and information.....

RJ
Old April 8th 06, 01:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

wrote:

rjohnsto wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I should have said 'elusive'.
Old April 8th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Having just bought an installed a K8N-E (first time, every time)...

"BC" wrote in message
et...
StoneyStude wrote:
rjohnsto wrote:

power supply is the "heart" of any system, "400W" sort of like saying "I
have a car": can be a beat up 1977 Ford Pinto, or a new Lexus LS
400--both cars, big difference. Hope it is a name brand power supply: PC
Power/Cooling, Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, etc....

400 is good enough, but I would suggest larger. Enermax or Seasonic would be
good choices.

I found that by removing one of the 512MB ram sticks, the system would
proceed as expected. If you install more than 512 MB it will repeat
the above.

Sounds like a bad stick of RAM. I have gotten more of these lately than I
have in many years of working with PCs: not sure why. Did you run
MEMTEST on each individual stick? Memory problems can be hard to diagnose
at times....

The system has 3 DIMM slots,but I can only use one and
for no more than 512 MB

There is an order to putting RAM into most ASUS boards.
1. Did you confer with the manual (badly written as it is) to see whether
you are putting the stix in the right slots and in the right order?
2. Did you visit the ASUS website to see whether the RAM you purchased is a
"qualified" ASUS memory vendor?

Since there was no mention of the memory vendor, it leads me to think that
you've bought less-than-adequate RAM. Once upon a time, I thought I had
bought top-line Corsair memory. After having problems similar to yours, I
visited the Corsair website and then called their tech-support. After a
brief conversation, it turned out the stix were NOT Corsair, but an
off-brand that had a Corsair-like sticker put on them. I got my money back,
and Corsair sold me two stix over the phone at a 15% discount.

It really sounds to me like you've got memory problems.

Patient: Doctor! Doctor! I have this problem with my memory!
Doctor: How long have you had this problem?
Patient: What problem?

Old April 8th 06, 02:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

rjohnsto wrote:

[....]
Now, I know how to build a system. Maybe I haven't kept up with the
latest tech edges, but this problem seems to be odd enough to have
happened to others. Yet, I can't find a soul who has the slightest
idea why it's doing, what it does.

I'd venture to say now, that the BIOS should be flashed, but again,
can't find a word of advise on how to do it. ASUS .com does a good
job of insulating themselves by requiring reams of information, to
the point you give up.

Erhm, section 4 of the manual wasn't any help?

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...K8N-E%20Deluxe

and version 1011 of the BIOS wan't any good??

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...K8N-E%20Deluxe

I mention these because I found them in a minute's worth of clicking, off
www.asus.com. The manual describes which program you need to do BIOS
flashing and there is a document with the procedure off the page with the,
erhm, BIOS.

I'm not being facetious, and I hope you're not trolling :-)

Best Regards

Jens

Of the few Forums, I've gone thru the pains of joining and writing
this experience over and over, I get absolutely stupid responses....

So, I'm somewhat irritated......

Barring the Bios fix, I'd like a perspective on, why it's doing, what
it's doing.

Is there any help here?

thanks

(Please copy to my email address with any responses)

- --
Key ID 0x09723C12,
Analogue filtering / 5GHz RLAN / Mdk Linux / odds and ends
http://www.tingleff.org/jensting/ +44 1223 211 585
"Go! And never darken my towels again!" Rufus T. Firefly 'Duck Soup'
Old April 8th 06, 03:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Jens Tingleff wrote:

rjohnsto wrote:

[....]
[...]

I downloaded the 1011 zip file a few days ago, but haven't opened
it. If the procedure is explained in the package, then, when it makes
sense to do it, I'll try.
Having to fool with the BIOS on a brand new board is neither a good
idea or a great selling point. If it really needed it, the box should
have had a big flag on it.
And trolling?, no. Back in December, I bought the K8, somewhat
dated, as it is, because the reviews indicated it was a great board (
read safe, stable). So, assembling a system and coming up with a
problem like this, should have occurred in quite a few instances,
resulting in some sort of 'brainshare' of info. At that time, I got
nowhere and had to return the board as defective. Then , after having
to deal with this renegade company, finding the same problem again put
me in, somewhat of an odd position.
When I asked the vendor for an RMA, they required that all the
accessories (Manual, software, cables, etc), had to be sent back with
the board. Then, all they returned, was a motherboard, not a new
product package. Since early March, they've been jacking me around on
the balance of the package, stating I never sent it to them.
Finally 2 days ago, the rest of the stuff, surprisingly, appeared on my
doorstep... So, I was at square one again and when the 2nd board (
different serial number) was installed, it did the same thing as the
first.
Two boards doing the same thing, indicated a missing quantity,
whether it was my fault or the manufacturers, there should have been an
easier solution open to me, than having to vent on a newsgroup. My
apologies if it sounded anything other than desperate...
I've already received, what appears to be, an expert response and
will pursue that first.
Thanks for your response..