CD/DVD media with cheap postage? (UK)

Old December 13th 04, 12:10 AM
John Perry

Paul Hutchings wrote:

I need to get some more CD/DVD media and don't really want to be paying
£8 postage on £20 worth of media.

Any suggestions/recommendations for cheap postage or anywhere doing free
postage (i can hope!) at the moment?

cheers,
Paul

I also use SVP and have used the Verbatim DVD +R for data backups and
the Verbatim +RW (£6 for 10) for TV recording.

Always wondered if I am paying too much; for the data backups quality
and long life is key.

What do you guys say?
--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
Old December 13th 04, 01:47 AM
Dave

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Paul Heslop wrote:

Try this place Paul

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

can't recall how much I paid but they were fast and cheap.

Thanks, SVP seem to have gone downhill a little in terms of their range
- they seem to be concentrating on "cheap n cheerful" rather than
offering much in the way of reputable media.

Thats what is on the market at the moment, nothing to do with SVP, the
market place for some reason has been flooded with CMC dye based disks, its
the same over at ukdvdr and bigpockets.

Guess that might sound a bit snobby but Fuji/Maxell and the likes seem

They have never sold actual fuji or maxell brands in large quantities, and
BTW some dyes that maxell have used in the past are crap.

to have a good reputation for quality, not sure I'd fancy my chances of
pulling data off a "datawrite" in several years time?

Nothing to do with te logo printed on the disk, its all to do with the
actual dye used, datawrite 8x grey fuji disks are good quality, as are
datawrites ritek g05 range.

What do people think the "best" -R media is these days for longevity?

Thats impossible to answer unless anyone can pick a brand what is out today
and see into the future. With dvdr disks the general opinion seems to be
the darker the dye the better the longevity, so buy some datawrite grey
topped fuji dye based dvds from ukdvdr or stick to ritek g05 disks, do
however avoid any over print disks, some are terrible quality and some are
even B-Grade disks.

Old December 13th 04, 01:58 AM
Dave

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(Paul Womar) wrote:

The name on the disk doesn't have much to do with it really. They have
datawrites that use Fujifilm dyes as well as the highly regarded Ritek
G04 dye. Someone else has mentioned the T.Y. stuff too, I'm not sure
about DVDs but certainly for CD-R they were just about the most highly
respected brand.

The T.Ys do seem much more expensive for DVD media, whilst there was
little in it for their CDR media, plus of course I've only seen them in
hundreds.

Genuine Taiyo Yudens have some of the manufacture process done in Europe
today, hence the higher price.

Have to admit all these ADVDINFO codes do confuse me, does it mean that
if you buy datawrites with a fuji ADVDINFO code that you're basically
getting fuji manufactured media?

It means the disk is put together by datawrite and the dye is produced by
fuji, basically you are getting fuji disks for cheaper money
The same can be said of verbatim dvds that use a MCC (mitshibusi chemical
corp) dye, if you look you can get MCC disks that are NOT verbatim branded
for cheaper money, and to all intended purposes you are getting the same as
a proper verbatim disk.
Do NOT confuse the MCC dye with the CMC dye though, they are 2 different
companies but some firms are trying to say that CMC disks are what the
likes of verbatim and TDK use, which is complete BS.
CMC are not as good as fuji, ritek or MCC dye based disks.
The quality of dvd media has improved a whole lot, its rare to get a
failure from anything but a overprint disk nowadays, basically any
datawrite product you buy should be ok, especially if you go for 8x media
but only burn at 4x speed, for certainty though stick to FUJI and RITEK G05
dye based disks, for a good price-to-performance ratio )

Old December 13th 04, 06:00 PM
James Perrett

Paul Hutchings wrote:

Thanks, SVP seem to have gone downhill a little in terms of their range
- they seem to be concentrating on "cheap n cheerful" rather than
offering much in the way of reputable media.

Guess that might sound a bit snobby but Fuji/Maxell and the likes seem
to have a good reputation for quality, not sure I'd fancy my chances of
pulling data off a "datawrite" in several years time?

I think it is more a case of Fuji/Maxell going down in quality now.
They're rebranding all kinds of cheap discs now and a recent batch of
Fujis that I bought certainly aren't up to the quality of Taiyo Yuden.
At best the error rates are 3 times those of the T-Y's while at worst
the discs are unusable.

Cheers.

James.
Old December 14th 04, 01:31 PM
Dave

"James Perrett" wrote in message
Paul Hutchings wrote:

Thanks, SVP seem to have gone downhill a little in terms of their range
- they seem to be concentrating on "cheap n cheerful" rather than
offering much in the way of reputable media.

Guess that might sound a bit snobby but Fuji/Maxell and the likes seem
to have a good reputation for quality, not sure I'd fancy my chances of
pulling data off a "datawrite" in several years time?

I think it is more a case of Fuji/Maxell going down in quality now.
They're rebranding all kinds of cheap discs now and a recent batch of
Fujis that I bought certainly aren't up to the quality of Taiyo Yuden.
At best the error rates are 3 times those of the T-Y's while at worst
the discs are unusable.

Christ only knows what you are doing with any modern branded media to get
that type of error rate

Old December 14th 04, 05:38 PM
James Perrett

Dave wrote:

"James Perrett" wrote in message

I think it is more a case of Fuji/Maxell going down in quality now.
They're rebranding all kinds of cheap discs now and a recent batch of
Fujis that I bought certainly aren't up to the quality of Taiyo Yuden.
At best the error rates are 3 times those of the T-Y's while at worst
the discs are unusable.

Christ only knows what you are doing with any modern branded media to get
that type of error rate

A colleague of mine tried some on a burner that produces good burns with
T-Y discs and the resultant discs could not be read in his laptop (which
was also happy with the T-Y discs) - that's what I would call unusable.

Cheers.

James.
Old December 14th 04, 08:09 PM
Dave

Dave wrote:

"James Perrett" wrote in message

I think it is more a case of Fuji/Maxell going down in quality now.
They're rebranding all kinds of cheap discs now and a recent batch of
Fujis that I bought certainly aren't up to the quality of Taiyo

Yuden.
At best the error rates are 3 times those of the T-Y's while at worst
the discs are unusable.

Christ only knows what you are doing with any modern branded media to

get
that type of error rate

A colleague of mine tried some on a burner that produces good burns with
T-Y discs and the resultant discs could not be read in his laptop (which
was also happy with the T-Y discs) - that's what I would call unusable.

You must be doing something wrong as NO half decent media including budget
datasafe/datawrite and bulkpaq would have a problem to that extent, i have
burned to various disks from the cheapest princo 4x disks from a year or so
ago, 8x ritek dye based disks that you can buy cheap today, even more
expensive verbatims and NO i repeated NO disks have i ever had problems to
that extent with, and believe me i have tried more then a few brands. Most
media nowadays will as long as it is burned no higher then its rated speed
work perfectly ok in most modern drives. Indeed i have yet to see any
branded 8x Agrade disk when burned at 4x or lower fail in any drive that
can read dvdr disks, the only things i can think you are doing are either
something wrong with regards to burning or ya mates drive in the laptop is
not dvdr compatible.

Old December 15th 04, 12:29 PM
James Perrett

Dave wrote:

[...]

We're talking CD's here, not DVD's and believe me, I've been burning
CD's for nearly 10 years and I've seen some really dodgy blank media.
The Fuji media isn't the worst I've used.

Cheers.

James.
Old December 15th 04, 05:27 PM
Dave

Dave wrote:

[...]

Unless you are using the cheapest crap cds available my statements about
the quality of media today stand, as long as you burn within the specified
media speeds you shouldnt have any problems with even half decent media.
Dyes have improved considerably over the years.
As for using CDRs for 10 years, im sorry, but in my book that makes you a
newbie ;D Ive used them since 1990 )
(or in other words when they first appeared) and back then the quality
compared even to todays cheap disks was appaling.
we have came a long way in 15 years with regards to media i still have a
few 1x spedd cdrs somewhere, that have probably lost anything that was
written to them long ago

Old December 15th 04, 11:22 PM
ff

I need to get some more CD/DVD media and don't really want to be paying
£8 postage on £20 worth of media.

For cdrs I just wait and add to to amazon orders. If you are over £20
shipping is free and a hundred cdr's are 9.99 so thats 10p a disc
which is ok. Course if you just want 200 discs you have to find
something for 3p to get the free shipping. Not really an exciting
choice but an easy one.

Custom Printed Media Bad Bubba Printers 2 January 3rd 05 12:05 PM
Print on CD/DVD media Bad Bubba Printers 15 August 12th 04 09:26 AM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Media for i9100 Bastet Printers 5 December 29th 03 06:55 AM
Laptop DVD Rom - DVD Media Compatibility +/- ? Rob Jones General 0 November 30th 03 10:13 AM