Building your own computer

Old October 16th 11, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Building your own computer

On Oct 15, 9:24 pm, John Doe wrote:
whitneyl whitneyl123 verizon.net wrote:
Do you have any comment on Manufacturers?

If I considered Dell, I would look at their small-business computers.

Ack!

The one I built this morning is a Farmer in the Dell knock-off. I
bought the board, a Gigabyte, based on knowing that Gigabyte has a
fair to middling reputation (need I not further mention cheapamento).
Wish I'd swung a Gigabyte, one with solid-state capacitors, instead
now. Ended up doing some research on my board, and, at the time, it
was engineered by Gigabyte for Dell's answer to corporate server
needs. At that time, as I did mention cheap. Couple that with having
sat on a shelf awhile before I built it. Nothing major, it's still
newly packaged in the original box, after all ... so what's a year or
two storage between builds. This. Bam, right off the bat, first time
fired up, I go to do some binary transfers in its native (DOS) mode
and it's slower than dog****. My transfer rates on two ASUS boards
are x4 faster, ditto anything native on DOS USB support or DVD
writes. How do I know this? . . .because it's a no-brainer Gigabyte/
Dell board, with practically nothing adjustable about it, meant to go
went right away into a rebadged DELL, self-contained to fire up for
DELL(tm) corporate server reality. Once, and that's only once, did it
misfire and reveal its fault by transferring files in the DOS
environment the way they should be. And then it was impressive, very,
faster than both ASUS boards. What a letdown of a friggin' tease.
For the time it'll be a server of multimedia, where I otherwise don't
rely on a fair amount DOS binary transfers. Thankfully, I've got
another ASUS MB in tiptop shape, no surprise there, and won't have to
rely on the Gigabyte.

Although it's purely my own personal prejudice, there was only one
computer made that consistently never skimped -- and that was ol'
Heavey Iron, Big Blue, pay-thru-the-nose IBM. The rest are
"accessorised" on the outside to hide ****-cutting corners that makes
up profits on an inside build. Chalk one up to advertnauseum and
never really having bought a computer. I got lucky early on and got
to hang with a bunch of electronics repairmen -- they play the game a
little differently from an inside perspective, depending on their
"contacts" -- some of which I learned, aside from being taught
basically to assemble from day one.
Old October 16th 11, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fishface[_2_]

I'm thinking that English cannot be your native language.
I suspect you learned from listening and not reading, because
you sometimes substitute words which sound similar, but
have a different meaning. Audio books?

http://goinswriter.com/write-clear/
Old October 16th 11, 06:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Flasherly Flasherly live.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:
whitneyl whitneyl123 verizon.net wrote:

Do you have any comment on Manufacturers?

If I considered Dell, I would look at their small-business
computers.

Ack!

Yeah, well, that's the way it is with very popular products.
The more popular, the more likely somebody has problems with it.
Old October 17th 11, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
whitneyl

On Oct 15, 6:51*am, "Fishface" wrote:
whitneyl wrote:
How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of the art
computer?

It's a heck of a lot easier than it used to be. *You can't beat the price
on a low-end purchased system, but that's not what you want.
Depending upon how you define "high-end" and "state-of-the-art,"
and your specific needs, it could be as simple as screwing a few things
into a case and connecting a few wires. *Windows 7 practically installs
itself. *You can pick a case that *you* like.

Is it something a person that's never tried it could do on his own in
a reasonable amount of time? *Would I be able to get some good
help from the group? *Is it worth it?

You seem reasonably intelligent. *You don't write incredibly long,
often nonsensical non-sentences like Flasherly. *The fact that you
are even considering it is a virtual guarantee of success! *There are
lots of knowledgeable people here who would be happy to help with
parts selection and warn of possible pitfalls.

So... gaming? *Video encoding? Overclocking? *AMD or Intel? *Budget?

Good Advice. By State of the Art and Superfast, I simply mean i want
a machine that will last a long time without the need to buy another
machine in few years. I like the idea of a Solid State Drive for
quick boot up of the OS, but only HP seems to offer that option, and I
think it's overpriced, especially when if you choose the SSD, they
don't give you the free HDD Upgrade. I also want to get the most
memory I can afford,( HDD, Main Memory and Video Memory), and I want
USB 3.0, ESata, and HDMI Connectors. I'm not a Gamer, but I do want
the best machine I can afford (speed and capabilities), because I
don't know what I'm going to want to do with the machine in the
future. Right now, I do a lot of Downloading and Burning Movies and
Music. I also do a lot of Powerpoint, Word Processing, and
Spreadsheet Manipulation. In the future, I may dabble a bit in Video
Editing, but I really don't do much of that now. I do quite a bit of
Database Manipulation using ACT and Outlook, but I may need to run
Lotus Notes in the future (due to work related requirements). I've
replaced a HDD Previously, and I've installed a CD/DVD Burner in the
past, so I've got a little experience under the hood. My big concerns
with building my own system a 1.) How to get help if something
isn't working like expected. 2.) Warranty Issues. 3.) Compatibility
of selected components 4.) Time (I'm a little impatient, so if the
build is going to be time consuming, I won't be a happy camper). I
do like a challenge, but I think in the interest of time, I'm just
going to go with an off the shelf customizable system from HP, Dell or
Perhaps Lenovo. HP seems to offer the most customizable options, but
Dell is a close second. No one offers exactly the combination of
components and software I want at a somewhat reasonable price.

Thanks for your comments.
Old October 17th 11, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
whitneyl

On Oct 15, 4:00*am, Krypsis wrote:
On 15/10/2011 3:41 AM, Nil wrote:

On 14 Oct 2011, *wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

How hard (or easy) is it to build your own super fast state of the
art computer? *Is it something a person that's never tried it
could do on his own in a reasonable amount of time? *Would I be
able to get some good help from the group? *Is it worth it?

The most difficult part is deciding on the components. Once you have
them all on hand, assembly isn't difficult, especially with the wealth
of on-line information.

It's worth it to me. My total cost is usually about the same or just a
little more than a similarly-spec'd store-bought computer. The
difference is that I've hand-picked the components so my $s have gone
to those that are most important to me. I consider the total cost to be
a good and fair value, though maybe not a bargain. And it's fun.

However, you have to be prepared to troubleshoot and fix the machine
when the inevitable happens. You can't call up Tech Support in a panic,
'cause you're it.

I'd recommend that most average, non-technical users buy their computer
from Dell or some company that offers support. I've always avoided
building computers for friends and family because I don't want them
calling me up every time their system hiccups.

Some of the larger computer supply establishments here will quote on and
build a computer to your own specifications. You do the research and
work out what components are the best for your. Any pricing
differential, + or -, is offset by the fact that the entire unit is
warranted by the builder. It can be a hassle haggling over warrantable
items if you build up the computer yourself.

The only computer I built from scratch was a Q6600 Quadcore machine a
few years back, early 2008 if I recall correctly. The only component
that has died has been the NVidia GS8500 video card and it was well out
of warranty. I recently upgraded the RAM to 8 Gig and added a new Video
card. I might add, I have only just begun using the machine seriously as
it was way overkill for my needs. Now that I'm tinkering with virtual
machines, it's getting a bit of use but it still isn't my primary
computer. The trap therefore is that you can end up with a computer that
suits your desires but not your needs. You see, "state of the art" and
"superfast" are way overkill for the needs of nearly all save extreme
gamers. Since I'm not a gamer of note, a dual core Pentium and a 6 year
old G5 PowerMac Dual Processor serve 99% of my needs. The Dual Core
Pentium is capable of running virtual machines but the Quad does it so
much better! *;-)

--

Krypsis

Hi Krpsis,

Thanks for your comments. I don't really know of any "good"
independent houses that can build up a system for me. I'm probably
going to buy a customizable system from HP, Dell or Lenovo. If I was
retired, and had a lot of time to kill, I would probably take on the
challenge of building my own system. Right now, I don't think I would
have the patience to do it myself, although the idea is intriguing.

Larry
Old October 17th 11, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fishface[_2_]

whitneyl wrote:

Good Advice. By State of the Art and Superfast, I simply mean i want
a machine that will last a long time without the need to buy another
machine in few years. I like the idea of a Solid State Drive for
quick boot up of the OS, but only HP seems to offer that option, and I
think it's overpriced, especially when if you choose the SSD, they
don't give you the free HDD Upgrade. I also want to get the most
memory I can afford,( HDD, Main Memory and Video Memory), and I
want USB 3.0, ESata, and HDMI Connectors.

I don't have a SSD. I have a Samsung F3 for my system drive. Nothing
I run takes that long to load, and I have 8 GB of memory, so I just leave
everything running and use Sleep. Another Internet Explorer window?
It just snaps open.

[...]

How about an assembled and tested CPU, Motherboard, and Memory
combo from Mwave, Axiontech, or similar?

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch...iteria=BA47494
Axiontech also offers an assembly and testing service.

http://www.axiontech.com/subcat.php?...&sub1=ASSEMBLY

Try the Z68 Sandy Bridge graphics-- some motherboards have an HDMI
output. If inadequate, the ATI HD 5770 / 6770 sure runs cool and quiet.

New to computer building [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 5 April 9th 08 05:34 PM
Help With Building A Computer Erin Peterson General 3 January 13th 05 04:25 AM
Building my own computer [email protected] General 2 November 14th 03 04:37 AM
Building a computer Insoo General 4 September 3rd 03 05:24 PM
Building New Computer Jack Bruss Homebuilt PC's 8 July 6th 03 11:22 PM