computer isn't turning on: need help

Old February 4th 07, 05:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
zach_ski

Default computer isn't turning on: need help

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm... the thing is, I can't even get my computer to TURN ON in the
first place. I will however take out stuff that isn't necessary to
turn on the computer.. never heard of a CMOS battery not allowing the
computer to turn on at all, but I will start out with the bare
essentials to troubleshoot it. The computer was built only over a year
ago. I'll see what I can do when my computer comes in to my new
apartment this Friday.

Any other ideas out there??

Old February 4th 07, 12:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
w_tom

Making changes without first collecting facts can exponentially
complicate a problem. Informed technicians take a 3.5 digit
multimeter to find the suspect in but two minutes. Meter so
ubiquitous as to be sold even in Lowes, Radio Shack, and Wal-mart for
$20.

With computer off (but connected to wall AC), measure DC voltage on
purple wire from power supply to motherboard. This numbers must
exceed 4.87 volts DC. Next measure voltage on green wire before and
when power switch is pressed. This measures more than 2 volts and
then drops to well below 0.8 volts when switch is pressed. We have
done same as the jumper short without making any disconnects. And have
obtained much more useful information - especially numbers.

Next is gray wire that must rise to more than 2.4 volts within
seconds of power switch press. And finally any one of orange, red,
and yellow wires; each monitored when switch is pressed and should
obtain more than 2.32, 4.87, and 11.7 volts. Any wire that does not
at least move some voltage is another important symptom.

We see a failure; therefore follow the evidence. Also Numbers are
posted so that useful replies are returned. Those numbers - good or
bad - provide useful replies.

Get the meter. Do not start fixing or changing anything until
important facts - the numbers - are obtained. Information in about
two minutes that will identify a likely suspect and that will not make
more problems.

Old February 4th 07, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

w_tom wrote:
[...]

This prat keep plucking these stupid numbers out of his arse. They
are nothing like the ATX spec and that is the completely superfluous
proof that he doesnt even understand how a multimeter works.

[...]

buzzing sound(machine gun sound) when turning on the computer? Faulty circuit what part? [email protected] General 2 October 9th 06 03:25 PM
Fan speeds Texas Yankee Overclocking 6 March 8th 06 04:09 PM
help my computer keeps turning off [email protected] Overclocking 5 January 25th 06 10:31 PM
Are PC surge protectors needed in the UK? Anthony Storage (alternative) 57 July 13th 04 11:37 AM
How to Fix Your Computer Ben Dellar Overclocking AMD Processors 0 November 11th 03 09:39 AM