Sentenced to death?

Old September 3rd 03, 03:58 AM
E_\\_¼__½__¾__F

Default Sentenced to death?

Installed a new HSF application on my system tonite. found 2 capacitors
leaking on the mobo, bulging on top as if they're ready to pop (Gigabyte
7VTXE). So far it dont look as if they've dripped any dielectric onto the
cards below yet but getting close. no apparent problems as of now but for
those who have had this prob in the past, how long roughly do i have b4 I'm
doomed to getting a new mobo?

Old September 3rd 03, 05:30 AM
Fishface

E_\_¼__½__¾__F wrote:

Installed a new HSF application on my system tonite. found 2 capacitors
leaking on the mobo, bulging on top as if they're ready to pop (Gigabyte
7VTXE). So far it dont look as if they've dripped any dielectric onto the
cards below yet but getting close. no apparent problems as of now but for
those who have had this prob in the past, how long roughly do i have b4
I'm doomed to getting a new mobo?

I stuck a piece of cardboard in there to protect the video card, but I sent
mine out because I was having startup problems. Initially, three were
bulging, none were leaking, so I replaced the three myself with some I
bought at the local surplus store. A year later, the others crapped-out.
But you have to think about what your time is worth, taking it apart,
putting it together, maybe doing it again before too long, maybe re-installing
your operating system if you change boards.

If you're happy with the performance and don't want to spend a lot of money,
you have it fixed for fifty bucks. That's what I did with my BX board, and I
have no regrets. If you're the do-it-yourself kind of guy, you can buy a kit for
$20 or so. www.motherboardrepair.com
The kits have desoldering braid and silver solder. I tried the regular solder,
and it didn't work well. Radio Shack sells fine silver solder that I have since
used with success. But your target is wicked small.

Otherwise, another fifty and you have a newer board, but of course you want
new faster RAM, etc., and that can get expensive, and you may have to spend
a bunch of time reinstalling crap.

Old September 3rd 03, 07:35 AM
S.Heenan

E_\_¼__½__¾__F wrote:
Installed a new HSF application on my system tonite. found 2
capacitors leaking on the mobo, bulging on top as if they're ready to
pop (Gigabyte 7VTXE). So far it dont look as if they've dripped any
dielectric onto the cards below yet but getting close. no apparent
problems as of now but for those who have had this prob in the past,
how long roughly do i have b4 I'm doomed to getting a new mobo?

A proper repair means replacing all electrolytic caps. About $30 US to buy
them. A new brand name motherboard starts at $60 US. Before looking at those
options, why not contact Gigabyte and inquire into an RMA ?

http://us.giga-byte.com/Company/Cont...contact_us.htm

--
Winerr 012 - Cash Underflow - Credit Card Number Will Be Assimilated

Old September 3rd 03, 10:06 AM
rstlne

"E_\_¼__½__¾__F" wrote in message
m...

Installed a new HSF application on my system tonite. found 2 capacitors
leaking on the mobo, bulging on top as if they're ready to pop (Gigabyte
7VTXE). So far it dont look as if they've dripped any dielectric onto the
cards below yet but getting close. no apparent problems as of now but for
those who have had this prob in the past, how long roughly do i have b4

I'm
doomed to getting a new mobo?

go to a electronics repair shop and ask for them to be replaced
if they are nice they'll do it for free ..
if they are nice but still care about buisness then it'll cost 5$
if they are nobheads you'll probably pay 20 or 30 bucks

Old September 3rd 03, 10:11 AM
rstlne

"S.Heenan" wrote in message
. ca...
E_\_¼__½__¾__F wrote:
Installed a new HSF application on my system tonite. found 2
capacitors leaking on the mobo, bulging on top as if they're ready to
pop (Gigabyte 7VTXE). So far it dont look as if they've dripped any
dielectric onto the cards below yet but getting close. no apparent
problems as of now but for those who have had this prob in the past,
how long roughly do i have b4 I'm doomed to getting a new mobo?

A proper repair means replacing all electrolytic caps. About $30 US to buy
them. A new brand name motherboard starts at $60 US. Before looking at

those
options, why not contact Gigabyte and inquire into an RMA ?

30 is a bit high imho..
I would say he should be able to buy them for maybee 3 or 4$ from someone
who would regularly use such items

Old September 3rd 03, 01:20 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"Fishface" ? wrote in message
E_\_¼__½__¾__F wrote:

[...]

I don't know about WinXP but with Win2k I was able to install a new
motherboard, CPU and ram without having to reinstall the OS. Some of the
services shut off but that was about it. 2-3 programs had to be reinstalled.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

---
Got GigaNews?
http://www.giganews.com/customer/gn26215

Old September 5th 03, 04:24 AM
Muhher Fuhher

Id like to keep this mobo for the time being. its been an excellent board
and upgrading it would mean upgrading my 2600/266 cpu and my ddr 2100 ram. i
know i could put those in a new one but that seems a waste to have 266
cpu/ram on a 400+ board. not to add i reallly dont wanna re install
everything if i dont have to.

m...

Old September 26th 03, 04:50 AM
Steve Vai

damn that sounds scary man! id get one asap

Old September 26th 03, 06:23 AM
Steve Vai

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 21:30:52 -0700, "Fishface" ?
wrote:

But your target is wicked small.

remember the old days when you could resolder on the old slot A
athlons to change voltage? i borned one of the resistors off and had
to buy a new resistor of equal value, only it had really long legs...i
still have the cpu w/ fic sd11 sitting in a box, with a long resistor
hanging off the back of the cpu....still attatched!

Hard Drive Failing - Clicks of Death [email protected] General 3 October 25th 04 04:26 AM
Death of 2500+... SysCold General 10 September 12th 04 07:21 PM
Worried about Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome Fake Overclocking 9 April 1st 04 02:04 AM
Why XP likes to park my Maxtor 120 disk....and why its not the 'Click of Death' Scampi General 5 March 19th 04 04:23 PM
ATHLON 1.2 DEATH AND DESPAIR Anthony Overclocking AMD Processors 2 August 27th 03 10:28 AM