SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 - please help

Old October 19th 11, 11:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Adam

Default SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 - please help

I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.

Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.

Old October 20th 11, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Adam wrote:
I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.

Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.

Check the Newegg customer reviews, for reports of failures ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...er=B ESTMATCH

Using the rating system, it may be easier to find a brand with
the best reviews.

Amazon also has reviews for stuff, if you need more opinions.

Paul

Old October 20th 11, 01:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Adam

"Paul" wrote in message
Adam wrote:
I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.

Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.

Check the Newegg customer reviews, for reports of failures ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...er=B ESTMATCH

Using the rating system, it may be easier to find a brand with
the best reviews.

Amazon also has reviews for stuff, if you need more opinions.

Paul

Thanks (Guru Paul), checking Amazon sounds like a good idea.

Interesting how Newegg and Amazon have different items at the top of the
stack.

Old October 20th 11, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Adam wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Adam wrote:
I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.

Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.

Check the Newegg customer reviews, for reports of failures ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...er=B ESTMATCH

Using the rating system, it may be easier to find a brand with
the best reviews.

Amazon also has reviews for stuff, if you need more opinions.

Paul

Thanks (Guru Paul), checking Amazon sounds like a good idea.

Interesting how Newegg and Amazon have different items at the top of the
stack.

I think Newegg management, thinks of Amazon as "the enemy". I don't
think that way at all, as I tried to buy something from Amazon, and
it never arrived, and I had to wait a month to get a CC refund. So they're
not even in the same league. But knowing Newegg hates them, I like
to throw a ref to Amazon in for fun :-) You'll notice Newegg's site
is "morphing" into something bloated and ugly (sorta like discovering
a grocery aisle in your local hardware store), but that's business
for you. Never happy with perfection, always a need to dilute. I
wonder how long it will take, before Newegg is selling Corn Flakes.

Paul
Old October 20th 11, 03:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Adam

"Paul" wrote in message
Adam wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Adam wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I was surprised when I recently discovered that
techie Newegg was selling ...

Handy Gourmet Large 26"x16.25" Non Stick Oven Liner $7 @ Newegg

Unlike Newegg, Amazon has many vendors so I'm always cautious about
which vendor I'm buying from. I don't worry about buying direct from
Amazon.
Because there are more vendors, more items are sold on Amazon than Newegg.

Old October 20th 11, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Foke[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:13:01 -0700, "Adam" wrote:

I am considering getting the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770.
However, I have had Radeon video cards that have had
heat issues (fan failure, etc.). Although they were not by SAPPHIRE.
So, I want to double check on cooling before buying another video card.

Your opinion/recommendation would be much appreciated.

I bought that same Sapphire card from New Egg a year and a half ago and
wasn't happy with the fan noise. I eventually ended up with a Nvidia GTX
460 and am much happier with that card. It's around $30 more, but to me
it was worth it. YMMV.

Old November 20th 11, 11:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
charlie

I run two XFX 5770s in Xfire
I'd suggest that you seriously consider a faster video card.
A single NVIDIA 460 or preferably better, and is about as fast or faster
than two 5770s in Xfire. Worthy of note is that the latest ATI/AMD
driver for the HD5770s has less problems in general than
the older versions. With the early drivers, Far Cry 2 would usually
lockup after about fifteen minutes or so of play. It's up to about 2-1/2
hours now. Naturally, there are some work-arounds, such as saving,
exiting and restarting the game.