The ultimate backup routine

Old October 23rd 11, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default The ultimate backup routine

Davej wrote:
On Oct 17, 6:48 pm, John Doe wrote:
[...]
... get yourself a free program called Macrium Reflect

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Ok, but wouldn't this program be better if it ran under Linux? Maybe
there is a Linux equivalent? If it was Linux you could boot off of a
CD or a USB stick. Plus it could store the backups on a Linux
partition where no Windows program could touch them.

I've never used this program, and I just downloaded it again. (I
have two copies on disk - I didn't know I already had a copy.)

The one I just downloaded, if I open it with 7ZIP, inside it's

rescue.iso

which means, it *is* some kind of Linux thing.

The previous download had a more confusing inner structure,
but it too seems to be Linux boot media (has "isolinux" and
"[BOOT]" folders). There was an extra layer of indirection
in the structure of the previous one, making it harder to
recognize the methodology, by using 7ZIP.

This is an example of the GRUB boot menu. No idea what the "015B43567543A12"
stands for.

title Macrium rescue CD
kernel /kernel ramdisk_size=131072 vga=0x317 015B43567543A12 loglevel=2
initrd /initrd

title Memtestx86
kernel /memtest86.bin

title Memtestx86+