Intel graphics driver not so open source after all

Old August 16th 06, 03:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
YKhan

Default Intel graphics driver not so open source after all

Jan Panteltje wrote:
Interesting point.
There was an article on nytimes.com a few days ago about widescreen laptops
and that people actually want a normal ratio (4:3) size for text processing,
as then you can have more lines of text on a screen.
I do agree with that.
OTOH I also play DivX movies and mpeg2 movies and even H264....
2 black bars above and below are no problem for me, I put subtitles there...
I have, from the very beginning, opposed widescreen (even for TV), it is nice
for a theatre, but not for in the home.
Now:

I bought a wide-screen laptop a few months back (1280x700), and now I
have a wide screen lcd for my desktop too (1440x900). You just have to
get used to making proper use of the new dimensions. Spreadsheets are
great on it. So are DVD movies, and my bittorrent client makes complete
use of it too, believe it or not.

Old August 16th 06, 12:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:59:48 GMT) it happened
" wrote in
:

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:39:50 -0400, Keith wrote:

Disagree. My next TV will likely be 16:9, of some sort. High
resolution movies mean more to me than high resolution broadcast TV
crap.

I don't own one and have no plans to get one, at least in the near
future. Whenever I see one in some public places (electronics stores,
doc's offices etc.) the look only strenghtens my decision to postpone
getting HDTV indefinitely. Being widescreen, they stretch regular
aspect ratio broadcast full screen, so all the TV personalities look
short and fat. All cars though look cool, even crappy ones - long,
wide, and low-riding. ;-) Why can't these expensive gadgets
recognize the aspect ratio automatically, and just leave black spaces
on the side(s) when it's 4:3?

Plasme will burn it
LCD should work.
Old August 16th 06, 12:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:07:58 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
wrote in :

Plasme will burn it

Sorry was encrypted, should read:
Plasma will burn in.

LCD should work.

Old August 16th 06, 06:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:41:13 -0400) it happened Keith
wrote in :

In article ,
says...
[...]

Burn in nothing?

The area in-between the vertical bars will degrade more then the edges,
with as result that you also see those bars on a widescreen picture.
Even LCD has some 'burn in', but it seems to go away after some time,
or after displaying white for some time, depends on the monitor manufacturer.

LCD should work.

They all should work, but I believe it's a setting in one of the
buried menus somewhere. It's no different than watching a 16:9
source on a 3:4 monitor, except the stripes are placed differently.
;-)

True :-)
Old August 16th 06, 06:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Scott Alfter

In article ,
Keith wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

I think what he meant to say is that the reason widescreen plasma monitors
(and CRT-based projection TVs, while we're at it) usually stretch 4:3
material instead of pillarboxing it is that you would have uneven phosphor
wear between the pillarboxes and the active image area. If a true 4:3 mode
is offered, the pillarboxes are usually 50% gray instead of black. This is
supposed to offer about the same amount of long-term wear as most of the
stuff you watch.

With LCD (and DLP, too), burn-in isn't an issue. The pillarboxes on my
widescreen LCD are black.

One nice thing about a widescreen LCD is that a 4:3 signal carrying
letterboxed content (which is becoming more and more common) can be zoomed
to fill the screen without distortion. Actual 4:3 content can be shown
as-is without distortion and without burn-in. For true widescreen content
(most HDTV and DVD), having a wide screen kicks ass.

_/_
(IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Old August 16th 06, 10:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
George Macdonald

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:41:12 -0400, Keith wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:39:50 -0400, Keith wrote:

Disagree. My next TV will likely be 16:9, of some sort. High
resolution movies mean more to me than high resolution broadcast TV
crap.

I don't own one and have no plans to get one, at least in the near
future. Whenever I see one in some public places (electronics stores,
doc's offices etc.) the look only strenghtens my decision to postpone
getting HDTV indefinitely. Being widescreen, they stretch regular
aspect ratio broadcast full screen, so all the TV personalities look
short and fat. All cars though look cool, even crappy ones - long,
wide, and low-riding. ;-) Why can't these expensive gadgets
recognize the aspect ratio automatically, and just leave black spaces
on the side(s) when it's 4:3?

They do. Apparently someone has them set up weird.

So the guy who sells them suffers from flashing 12:00 syndrome?:-) And
then they have the nerve to complain that people only look and then buy
on-line!

What bothers me about this whole HDTV thing is the content delivery: I hate
those bloody great STBs, the content deliverers are dragging their feet on
channel cards and the industry is still trying to sell us HDTVs & recorders
without channel card slots... standardisation??... not from where I'm
looking! The whole thing is a mess with the consumer in the middle...
getting bilked.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old August 16th 06, 11:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:23:02 -0400, George Macdonald
wrote:

[...]

That's the way I am buying. Places like Pricewatch or Nextag can find
you the same gadget for about 30% less, and delivery charge is often
less than sales tax that you avoid online. But it helps to see the
thing in the store to "feel" it. BTW, some stores sometimes match
online price when you bring the printout - helpful when the thing is
small enough to fit in the car, and you need it *now*.

What bothers me about this whole HDTV thing is the content delivery: I hate
those bloody great STBs, the content deliverers are dragging their feet on
channel cards and the industry is still trying to sell us HDTVs & recorders
without channel card slots... standardisation??... not from where I'm
looking! The whole thing is a mess with the consumer in the middle...
getting bilked.

"The whole thing is a mess" - can't agree more.
"consumer in the middle...getting bilked." - respectfully disagree.
Maybe in N.Korea, Cuba, and few other places the customers are (or at
some point will be) required to acquire the sets to see Beloved Leader
Kim / Comrade Fidel / Supreme Bozo in full glory of HD. In all other
parts of the world the consumers part with their money willfully
because they want to keep up with the Joneses or for whatever reason
think 42" Plasma is a must-have. They have every opportunity to read
through the specs before they whip out the credit card. They fail to
do due diligence? Too bad.

NNN

Old August 16th 06, 11:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Garrot

Keith wrote:

I don't mind the black bars on my TV either, though it makes the
picture rather small.

Be careful of 4:3 images on a 16:9 ratio TV or monitor. I hooked up my
computer to my HDTV and where it used to dispaly 4:3 TV images there are
lines down the edges exactly where the 4:3 TV image was. It's easy to
see on a grey or light green background but not with other colours.