XP Home SP1?

Old December 24th 12, 07:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default XP Home SP1?

My Inspiron 2200 has taken up with 20 minute boot
times owing to unknown bloatware.

I'm thinking of restoring the XP Home sp1 CD, but
am not confident that there's an upgrade path to
SP3 from there. Is it still possible?

Old December 24th 12, 08:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pen

On 12/24/2012 2:58 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
My Inspiron 2200 has taken up with 20 minute boot
times owing to unknown bloatware.

I'm thinking of restoring the XP Home sp1 CD, but
am not confident that there's an upgrade path to
SP3 from there. Is it still possible?

XP SP3 is fine with all previous versions. Check under
system requirements.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

Old December 24th 12, 08:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

On 12/24/2012 1:58 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
My Inspiron 2200 has taken up with 20 minute boot
times owing to unknown bloatware.

I'm thinking of restoring the XP Home sp1 CD, but
am not confident that there's an upgrade path to
SP3 from there. Is it still possible?

Well I believe the manual SP3 install (Microsoft should still have it
available for download, if not, I and others still have it) and I
believe SP3 can take SP1 to SP3 directly. No need for SP2. Then Windows
Update will take it the rest of the way. Windows update will probably
take it all of the way anyway.

At some point you might want to look into slipstreaming that copy you
have to SP3. As to use the repair option on the CD, they must be the
same SP (or if you reinstall from scratch, no need for any SP).
Otherwise it usually corrupts the OS install.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_(computing)

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v12
Old December 24th 12, 08:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 14:58:20 -0500, Ron Hardin

Yes, you can still download SP3. Without SP1 you would need to
download SP1 first as you cannot download SP2 or 3 without going to
SP1 first.
Old December 25th 12, 06:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Monday, December 24, 2012 2:58:20 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
My Inspiron 2200 has taken up with 20 minute boot

times owing to unknown bloatware.

I'm thinking of restoring the XP Home sp1 CD, but

am not confident that there's an upgrade path to

SP3 from there. Is it still possible?

It's been a while since I installed XP with only SP1.

IIRC, do the install which includes SP1, then the drivers (notably chipset and Ethernet and wifi, in that order), then download and install SP2, next SP3, and finally another 500MB or so which a normal company would make into SP4.
Old December 28th 12, 04:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Ron Hardin wrote in
:

My Inspiron 2200 has taken up with 20 minute boot
times owing to unknown bloatware.

I'm thinking of restoring the XP Home sp1 CD, but
am not confident that there's an upgrade path to
SP3 from there. Is it still possible?

I've done clean installs with XP SP1, then applied SP3 successfully, many
times. I've used both the SP3 disk from Microsoft, and the SP3 download.
The machine I'm using right now was done with the SP3 download.

Good luck.