OT - iPhone

Old June 28th 07, 01:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

Default OT - iPhone

I'm no fan of cell phones but this Apple iPhone looks interesting. This
is one gadget
that I just might have to get more sooner than later.

From what I understand you can surf the net on this thing? Is that
correct?

Anybody think this could really be a gigantic must have item for the
next five years?
Anybody predicting this could revolutionize the phone/computer merger?
Sounds like
this thing could do it all like something off Star Trek.

Opinions?

Old June 28th 07, 01:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:02:37 GMT, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

I'm no fan of cell phones but this Apple iPhone looks interesting. This
is one gadget
that I just might have to get more sooner than later.

From what I understand you can surf the net on this thing? Is that
correct?

Anybody think this could really be a gigantic must have item for the
next five years?
Anybody predicting this could revolutionize the phone/computer merger?
Sounds like
this thing could do it all like something off Star Trek.

Opinions?

I expect I'm in the minority but I'm not interested in it but I
confess it could be useful for some like checking road conditions,
weather, email, etc.. . But for me, I'm happy just to use it as a
phone.

That said, I wonder how well the battery will hold up??
Old June 28th 07, 01:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

wrote:

I'm no fan of cell phones but this Apple iPhone looks interesting. This
is one gadget
that I just might have to get more sooner than later.

From what I understand you can surf the net on this thing? Is that
correct?

Anybody think this could really be a gigantic must have item for the
next five years?
Anybody predicting this could revolutionize the phone/computer merger?
Sounds like
this thing could do it all like something off Star Trek.

Opinions?

I expect I'm in the minority but I'm not interested in it but I
confess it could be useful for some like checking road conditions,
weather, email, etc.. . But for me, I'm happy just to use it as a
phone.

That said, I wonder how well the battery will hold up??

I tend to think all the hype is created by the manufacturers, themselves.

Hire a few hundred (thousand?) people, have them "wait on line" for hours,
and you've got another semi-headline.

Personally, I have better things to do.

--
Notan
Old June 28th 07, 01:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche

wrote:

I'm no fan of cell phones but this Apple iPhone looks interesting.
This is one gadget
that I just might have to get more sooner than later.

From what I understand you can surf the net on this thing? Is that
correct?

Anybody think this could really be a gigantic must have item for the
next five years?
Anybody predicting this could revolutionize the phone/computer merger?
Sounds like
this thing could do it all like something off Star Trek.

Opinions?

I expect I'm in the minority but I'm not interested in it but I
confess it could be useful for some like checking road conditions,
weather, email, etc.. . But for me, I'm happy just to use it as a
phone. That said, I wonder how well the battery will hold up??

I tend to think all the hype is created by the manufacturers, themselves.

Hire a few hundred (thousand?) people, have them "wait on line" for hours,
and you've got another semi-headline.

Personally, I have better things to do.

I really don't know much about it except what I saw on the CBS Evening
news tonight.
But if you can surf the net on this thing, or at least go to most web pages,
that sounds
pretty cool. It really looks like this is going to merge the phone and
computer. Next step,
merge the computer with TV.

Old June 28th 07, 01:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

wrote:

I'm no fan of cell phones but this Apple iPhone looks interesting.
This is one gadget
that I just might have to get more sooner than later.

From what I understand you can surf the net on this thing? Is that
[...]

Again, I have better things to do.

--
Notan
Old June 28th 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Old June 28th 07, 03:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris

"Von Fourche" wrote in
k.net:

I'm no fan of cell phones but this Apple iPhone looks interesting.
This
is one gadget
that I just might have to get more sooner than later.

From what I understand you can surf the net on this thing? Is
that
correct?

Anybody think this could really be a gigantic must have item for
the
next five years?
Anybody predicting this could revolutionize the phone/computer merger?
Sounds like
this thing could do it all like something off Star Trek.

Opinions?

Maybe it's just me, but I've never understood why anyone would want to
watch or do things on a screen so small. Seems we're always looking for
larger monitors, larger TVs, larger camera LCDs...

It may be 'handy' once in a great while, but if that's the case, it's a
high price to pay for convenience for that one time.

Old June 28th 07, 05:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

I'm no fan of cell phones but this Apple iPhone looks interesting. This
is one gadget
that I just might have to get more sooner than later.

From what I understand you can surf the net on this thing? Is that
correct?

Anybody think this could really be a gigantic must have item for the
next five years?
Anybody predicting this could revolutionize the phone/computer merger?
Sounds like
this thing could do it all like something off Star Trek.

Opinions?

I've made a ton of money on Apple stock, so if I do decide to get an
iPhone it's a freebie!

Personally, the Treo 680 / 755p are the best cell phones for me. They
have a keyboard on them (not just a number pad) and there are
thousands of Palm apps that run on it. I have an unlimited data plan
and can access e-mail and web functions (like downloading weather
forecasts) easily. The iPhone doesn't have the ability to run Palm or
Windows Mobile apps, and doesn't have a very usable keyboard (actual
buttons are much easier than a touch screen).

I can't envision how the iPhone and iPod will go together. It seems
like the iPhone will cannabilize the iPod or vice versa. It has 8GB
(I think) for music, but the iPod has up to 80GB. Are the potential
iPhone buyers the ones that already have an iPod? How will they
manage their music? Having more than one device seems like my
situation with multiple 250GB hard drives -- it's a pain to try to
manage more places to store things rather than fewer places with
larger sizes (like the 80GB iPod).

Maybe though most people will use the storage for other things like
photos?

I am impressed at how the design is "outside the box" and is another
attempt to create a revolutionary device.

There may be a learning curve with regard to convergence. For
example, I have a Treo and a Palm TX. I was going to use the Treo for
all my Palm functions, but the screen has a lower resolution and is
smaller, so I now use the Treo as a glorified contact manager and use
the TX for everything else. It seems like everyone is abandoning the
larger PDAs for the smaller smartphones. I would rather have a PDA
with phone capability than a smartphone with PDA functionality (form
factor wise).

I think gadgets and other technology might be up against a "good
enough" syndrome. My digital cameras are good enough, so I don't need
to upgrade. My laptop is good enough, so I am going to use it until
it drops probably. Same with my desktop PC. Will sales of all these
things (HDTV included) drop off dramatically?
Old June 28th 07, 05:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:40:56 GMT, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

It really looks like this is going to merge the phone and
computer. Next step,
merge the computer with TV.

The iPhone is a glorified phone / mp3 player / video player. For
computer functionality, a Palm or Windows Mobile smartphone is a
better choice.
Old June 28th 07, 05:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:54:12 -0500, Boris Boris wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I've never understood why anyone would want to
watch or do things on a screen so small. Seems we're always looking for
larger monitors, larger TVs, larger camera LCDs...

It may be 'handy' once in a great while, but if that's the case, it's a
high price to pay for convenience for that one time.

I agree about not understanding. I know people who like to go out
with their laptop in search of hotspots, so they can have coffee while
searching the web. I'm not one of them.

I also know people who have converted movies to be able to watch them
on their handhelds, or those who watch movies on their iPods. More
power to them.

When out and about I like to be engaged in the nice day, the people
around me, and what I am doing. When at home I can enjoy a movie or
surf the Internet.

(of course there are valid reasons for most of the things above, just
not for me)