Installing a Second HDD

Old January 22nd 04, 03:45 PM
Rocket J. Squirrel

Default Installing a Second HDD

Hello all:

I'm about to install a second hard drive in my Dim4500. Shouldn't be a
problem, but I do have these two questions:

1) Dell's directions say to "Remove the first hard drive from the upper bay
and install it in the lower bay...Gently slide the new hard drive into the
upper bay until you hear a click." Why can't I just install the new hard
drive into the lower bay? Why the switch?

2) Dell's directions say "Rails for a second hard drive are attached inside
the hard-drive bay...Attach the rails to the hard drive using the two screws
attached to the rails." How does Dell know that these rails and their screws
will fit my new hard drive, or is there some kind of standard construction
among hard drives?

Thanks for your help.

Rocky

Old January 22nd 04, 04:57 PM
Barry Guyer

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:45:53 GMT, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
wrote:

Hello all:

I'm about to install a second hard drive in my Dim4500. Shouldn't be a
problem, but I do have these two questions:

1) Dell's directions say to "Remove the first hard drive from the upper bay
and install it in the lower bay...Gently slide the new hard drive into the
upper bay until you hear a click." Why can't I just install the new hard
drive into the lower bay? Why the switch?

When you open the machine and look at the cabling, then you will
understand. You will find it difficult to impossible to keep your
current drive as master unless you move it to the lower bay - will
take you about 10 seconds to do this.

2) Dell's directions say "Rails for a second hard drive are attached inside
the hard-drive bay...Attach the rails to the hard drive using the two screws
attached to the rails." How does Dell know that these rails and their screws
will fit my new hard drive, or is there some kind of standard construction
among hard drives?

The rail connections are standard.

Barry

Old January 22nd 04, 05:15 PM
Rocket J. Squirrel

Thank you both for the info.

"You will have spent more time posting here and reading the replies than you
will on the actual installation of the drive when you actually get down to
doing it. ;-"

Lol, OJ, I'll bet you're absolutely right!

Rocky

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message
"Rocket J. Squirrel" wrote:

Hello all:

I'm about to install a second hard drive in my Dim4500. Shouldn't be a
problem, but I do have these two questions:

1) Dell's directions say to "Remove the first hard drive from the upper

bay
and install it in the lower bay...Gently slide the new hard drive into

the
upper bay until you hear a click." Why can't I just install the new hard
drive into the lower bay? Why the switch?

Because the ribbon cable is of a length/connector arrangement
that to keep the first HD as the Master, it has to be in the
lower bay. Trust me. I just did this, installed a second HD on
my D4400, and had to do the same thing. It took all of about a
minute or minute and a half to make the switch.

2) Dell's directions say "Rails for a second hard drive are attached

inside
the hard-drive bay...Attach the rails to the hard drive using the two

screws
attached to the rails." How does Dell know that these rails and their

screws
will fit my new hard drive, or is there some kind of standard

construction
among hard drives?

The rails fit my third-party [Outpost.com] drive, an 80GB WD,
fine. The *rails* may be custom for a particular model Dell, but
the *screws* in the rails are positioned for standard HD
construction. My D4400 had lots of extra rails, more than I have
empty bays for. One set actually clipped in the second internal
HD bay, and another 3 or 4 pairs clipped to the case.

--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

Old January 27th 04, 04:20 PM
S.Lewis

"Rocket J. Squirrel" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello all:

I'm about to install a second hard drive in my Dim4500. Shouldn't be a
problem, but I do have these two questions:

1) Dell's directions say to "Remove the first hard drive from the upper

bay
and install it in the lower bay...Gently slide the new hard drive into the
upper bay until you hear a click." Why can't I just install the new hard
drive into the lower bay? Why the switch?

The IDE1 ribbon cable is oriented for a Zip drive, which is located 'above'
the single hard disk. By moving the original disk downward, you're
connecting the 2nd hard disk consistent with the design. You'll see what I
mean when you move to connect the ribbon cable.

2) Dell's directions say "Rails for a second hard drive are attached

inside
the hard-drive bay...Attach the rails to the hard drive using the two

screws
attached to the rails." How does Dell know that these rails and their

screws
will fit my new hard drive, or is there some kind of standard construction
among hard drives?

Yes. The screws and tapped screw holes are pretty darned universal.

Thanks for your help.

Rocky

Post back if you run into any other questions.

Stew