XP OEM - Interesting conversation with MS employee

Old May 12th 05, 02:40 AM
kurttrail

Bruce Chambers wrote:
kurttrail wrote:

Is it immoral to lie to a criminal, a conman, or to someone or
something that lie to you first?

I've said nothing about "morality." Please leave religion out of the
discussion, which was about trustworthiness and integrity.

Morality and religion are too different things Bruce. One can be a
moral person without being religious.

While two wrongs don't equal a right,

Correct. But you should have place a period where you used a comma.

Don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do. I wrote exacty what I
meant.

sometimes
one needs to think outside of the box to protect themselves from
being abused by disreputable devices of others.

So it's your contention that "thinking outside the box" requires one
to be dishonest?

No, I said that one must do what is necessary to protect themselves from
the disreputable devices of others.

MS lies in their PA message that XP has been installed too many times,
and one must do what is necessary to make sure one can use the copy of
software THAT WAS SOLD TO THEM. Which bring us to MS's EARLIER LIE.
The copy of software was sold to the person by the OEM. The OEM was
sold the copy of software by a software distributor.

Lies on top of lies! MS is the one that started the lying! Lying that
they can limit an individuals 'fair use" in their home!

MS is a known and proven predatory monopolist, and patent and copyright
infringer! NOT ONE OF MS'S PRIVATE NON-COMMERCIAL CUSTOMERS HAVE BEEN
CHARGED WITH LET ALONE PROVEN TO BE GUILTY OF ANY WRONG DOING FOR
FOLLOWING THEIR OWN DEFINITION OF "FAIR USE" OF THEIR COPY OF SOFTWARE
FOR THEIR OWN PRIVATE NON-COMMERCIAL USE!

You must have a very limited imagination, if so.

LOL! Coming from a monolithic thinker like yourself, that is totally
laughable!

--
Peace!
Kurt

Old May 12th 05, 02:50 AM
kurttrail

Leythos wrote:
In article ,
says...
Uniformed consumers have only themselves to blame. The information
necessary to make an informed purchased decision is readily
available to anyone with the initiative to seek it out.

My point exactly - ignorance is no excuse.

LOL! MS depends on ignorance. Anyone that knows the truth, knows that
MS has no business telling you what you can and can't do with your copy
of software for you private non-commercial use in YOUR HOME!

There is no legal precedent that gives MS that right! And any one that
accept MS's rules in their home is acting out of ignorance, not legal
fact!

Old May 12th 05, 02:51 AM
Carey Frisch [MVP]

I suggest you also enroll in an Economics course after
completing your Contracts 101 course. It is quite obvious
you have a very limited education.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...xp/choose.mspx

"Alias" wrote:

| I dare say that an upgrade for XP Home is far less than $US 395 in the
| States which shoots your lame theory all to hell. MS is one of the most
| successful highway robbers in the history of the world and they have a lot
| of gall making paying customers prove their honesty through PA and charging
| so much for their software.
| --
| Alias

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/11/2005 8:51:11 PM

Old May 12th 05, 02:54 AM
kurttrail

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
I suggest you also enroll in an Economics course after
completing your Contracts 101 course. It is quite obvious
you have a very limited education.

This is all that is obvious:

http://microscum.com/carey/

Old May 12th 05, 04:33 AM
Ron Martell

"Kerry Brown" *a*m wrote:

I agree Microsoft has the right to a return on their investment but
"billions of $$$ to develop Windows XP" I could accept $10s of millions
possibly even 100s of millions. I guess they pay their employees really
well. XP must have made a few more MS millionaires. If they had 1,000
programmers working on XP that's over a million dollars each.

There were far more than 1,000 people working full time on the
development and testing of Windows XP.

I do not know the exact figure, but it could easily be 10,000

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Old May 12th 05, 04:34 AM
Ron Martell

kony wrote:

On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:35:54 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
wrote:

Q. "How does MS justify that cost; maybe takes a quarter to make for them?"

A. Microsoft spent billions of $$$ to develop Windows XP. The cost to
manufacturer the CDs is irrelevant since they expect a return on their
massive investment. Also, ongoing improvements to Windows XP,
in the form of "Service Packs" and "hotfixes", are absorbed by Microsoft
and are offered free to the consumer.

You must be joking.
Cost is relative.

Good. You can pay the bills then.

Old May 12th 05, 04:37 AM
Ron Martell

"kurttrail" wrote:

Is it immoral to lie to a criminal, a conman, or to someone or something
that lie to you first? While two wrongs don't equal a right, sometimes
one needs to think outside of the box to protect themselves from being
abused by disreputable devices of others.

The essential component for any agreement is that both parties must be
satisfied that the other person has both the ability and the intent to
fulfill whatever obligations and requirements they commit to as part
of the agreement.

Old May 12th 05, 04:39 AM
Ron Martell

Bruce Chambers wrote:

Uniformed consumers have only themselves to blame. The information

^^^
necessary to make an informed purchased decision is readily available to
anyone with the initiative to seek it out.

And what about consumers who do not wear uniforms? :-)

Old May 12th 05, 04:48 AM
Michael C

"Leythos" wrote in message
I try never to enter the Gray areas, if you can't make a factual
statement without wavering, you should consider the statement more
carefully.

Life is full of grey if you think you can avoid it you live in an imaginary
land.

Good / Evil are subjective and can be the opposite depending on the
person and society.

True

Truth and lies are not subjective when you know the difference.

Maybe less subjective but again it's a gray issue.

Michael

Old May 12th 05, 05:19 AM
Kerry Brown

"Ron Martell" wrote in message
"Kerry Brown" *a*m wrote:

I agree Microsoft has the right to a return on their investment but
"billions of $$$ to develop Windows XP" I could accept $10s of millions
possibly even 100s of millions. I guess they pay their employees really
well. XP must have made a few more MS millionaires. If they had 1,000
programmers working on XP that's over a million dollars each.

There were far more than 1,000 people working full time on the
development and testing of Windows XP.

I do not know the exact figure, but it could easily be 10,000

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

This has peaked my interest. A quick google search doesn't come up with the
answer. Does anyone know how many programmers worked full time on Windows
XP?

Kerry

http://aumha.org/alex.htm