30gb HDD displayed as 10mb!!!!

Old December 27th 04, 08:34 PM
Bluecamel

Default 30gb HDD displayed as 10mb!!!!

My 30gb MaxtorDiamondMax plus 8 HDD stopped booting into windows, no
even in safemode [stopped at MUP.SYS], FIXBOOT, then led to 'NTLD
missing' message, I put it in as slave in Windows XP using another a
Master, I hoped it would see all my documents, programs, folders....
but it says the HDD is only 10mb, also with CHKDSK it said it appear
not to be a Windows XP disk. What has happened, will CHKDSK command
like '/r' make it worse or delete my data, or has it already gone

--
Bluecamel
Old December 28th 04, 03:53 PM
Sun

To check the hard disk data, you can boot from Linux live CD and look
for the data on hard disk.

http://www.knoppix.net/

Old December 28th 04, 04:28 PM
Steve Cousins

Bluecamel wrote:

My 30gb MaxtorDiamondMax plus 8 HDD stopped booting into windows, not
even in safemode [stopped at MUP.SYS], FIXBOOT, then led to 'NTLDR
missing' message, I put it in as slave in Windows XP using another as
Master, I hoped it would see all my documents, programs, folders.....
but it says the HDD is only 10mb, also with CHKDSK it said it appears
not to be a Windows XP disk. What has happened, will CHKDSK commands
like '/r' make it worse or delete my data, or has it already gone?

I'd get the Maxtor MaxBlast software (from maxtor.com) which creates a
boot floppy that allows you to test your hard drive. If it is bad, the
software will give a diagnostic code that can be used to get an RMA from
the Maxtor web site. If it is not bad, then you can then use some other
software to try to fix whatever has corrupted the partition table. I've
used Norton Utilities in the past to do this.

Good luck,

Steve