Old Compaq 4540 > need help redoing

Old August 7th 04, 05:05 PM

Default Old Compaq 4540 > need help redoing

Hello -

I have an old Compaq Presario 4540 I'm trying to set for the kids to
surf on. It will not recongize the hard drive because, I think, it is
too large. the West Digital Lifeguard tools finds it but with a Win98
startup diskette its not recongized so I can't fdisk or format it. Any
thoughts?
Old August 7th 04, 07:45 PM
JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION

Hello,

What size is the hard drive?

--
JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
Technical Support Team

Check out some of the items we are offering
Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

Old August 8th 04, 03:22 AM
terry_b17

hi,
if the drive is too large for your system to recognize you will need
a bios update if available or an ata controller card to recognize the
drive . you could also install the ddo software western digital has
available . you can partition and format the drive using the wd data
lifeguard and the drive overlay software will allow your system to
recognize the drive . you will need to use the special jumper
settings for the overlay to work .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============
Old August 8th 04, 11:18 AM
HH

No BIOS updates are available to overcome the 8GB drive size limit. The 4540
originally shipped with a 3.2GB Bigfoot drive. Get a PCI IDE controller or
try here for a smaller than 8 GBdrive:

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/

HH

"terry_b17" wrote in message
hi,
if the drive is too large for your system to recognize you will need
a bios update if available or an ata controller card to recognize the
drive . you could also install the ddo software western digital has
available . you can partition and format the drive using the wd data
lifeguard and the drive overlay software will allow your system to
recognize the drive . you will need to use the special jumper
settings for the overlay to work .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware

troubleshooting newsgroups.

Old August 12th 04, 07:01 PM
HH

Yep.Go with the PCI IDE controller.
HH

wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions. It is 40 gig drive - sounds like it is too
big.

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 24th 04 02:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 17th 04 08:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM