I would choose Nvidia 6800 over Ati X800

Old May 6th 04, 10:53 PM
Ryan Atici

Default I would choose Nvidia 6800 over Ati X800

When reliability is the major issue, I would never, EVER get any ATI video
card. Can you imagine paying $500 for an ATI video card and not having
stable operating system because of flaws in the video card driver?

It is a given fact that none of the ATI video cards are as reliable and
crash-free as the NVIDIA video cards. Because of driver problems, ATI video
cards cause problems. Sometimes with some games, ATI video cards freeze the
operating system.

On the other hand, NVIDIA CARDS are rock solid with stability. I just read
the recent benchmarks. NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI
X800. I would definitely get NVIDIA 6800 rather than paying $500 for an ATI
video card and having my operating system crash all the time.

--
Ryan Atici

To send email, remove _osmanli

Old May 6th 04, 11:43 PM
somnambulist

"Ryan Atici" wrote in message
When reliability is the major issue, I would never, EVER get any ATI video
card. Can you imagine paying $500 for an ATI video card and not having
stable operating system because of flaws in the video card driver?

It is a given fact that none of the ATI video cards are as reliable and
crash-free as the NVIDIA video cards. Because of driver problems, ATI

video
cards cause problems. Sometimes with some games, ATI video cards freeze

the
operating system.

On the other hand, NVIDIA CARDS are rock solid with stability. I just read
the recent benchmarks. NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI
X800. I would definitely get NVIDIA 6800 rather than paying $500 for an

ATI
video card and having my operating system crash all the time.

Take your rhetoric somewhere else fanboy....

Anyone else reading this can replace each occurence of the word ATI with
NVIDIA and vice versa. The argument would be just as valid.

--
somnambulist

Old May 6th 04, 11:49 PM
CrimsonLiar

Personally my 9800XT was a trip back to ATi having been more than 5 years
since my last ATi video card and the time in between spent with Nvidia
cards. Regards the next gen cards both manufacturers have, lets wait for
real users to get their hands on them and start to find the weaknesses of
both.

It does seem funny to me though the assertion that Nvidia cards are any more
reliable and crash free than their ATi opponents. This simply is neither
what I have experienced or what I read in the Nvidia newsgroups, yes the
issues are different, but there are still issues all the same.

CrimsonLiar

Old May 7th 04, 12:46 AM
Bratboy

Gives Ryan a Trollhouse Cookie and sends him back under his bridge

Sorry Ryan but you are so full of crap there's nothing else to say.

Old May 7th 04, 12:48 AM
RipFlex

You must be one of them slowww people and do not realize they have greatly
improve the drivers since they came out with their radeon 9700 and onwards.

Hate people living in the past.

And if you go the Nvidia newgroups.. OMG they have driver issues to !
Strange isn't it?

Old May 7th 04, 12:52 AM
RipFlex

Well, I have used video cards from both card manufacturers, I can say both
had their issues. But I didn't dare touch ATI cards until after the 8500+
and until they said OMG SORRY WE MAKE BETTER DRIVERS THIS TIME...

I dropped bills on a 9800 pro and never looked back.

newshzmc.160$YJ3.57@newsfe1-win...

Old May 7th 04, 01:14 AM
MacGyver

I'm with you Ryan. I've had every generation of NVIDIA video cards and
never had a problem. No hardware compatibility issues or flakey drivers. I
bought a 9700 Pro and I've had nothing but problems. I've used it in 4
different computers will all the same results. I've RMA the card 3 times
also, so I can rule out bad apple. Card will work fine for a short while
then I get driver crashes and games screwing up.

Early benchmarks show the X800 beating the 6800 in a few games, but their
OpenGL still sucks ass. Both need time to mature, even though the X800 is
basically a 9700/9800 updated. The 6800 is new stuff. I do hate the power
requirement for the 6800, but I plan on getting a PCI Express version which
will only require one 4-pin molex.

Only time will tell, but as long as both of them exist, we benefit the most.

Old May 7th 04, 01:25 AM
Bratboy

I guess I did have some more to say hehe,
Funny thing is most of all the reviews show the 2 cards pretty even but with
high rez n AA/AF the ATI cards are beating out the 6800. Heck, the darn x800
pro (not even the top card which is the PE) is matching the 6800 or coming
close to it for some tests so I don't know where you got your:

"NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI X800"

As for crashes that sounds like you just do crappy system maintenence. When
I got my 9800 I tossed out the 5600 fx, thru new card in installed drivers
and so far have not had 1 lock up or game crash going as far back as the
3.7's catalyst drivers. I actually can even play alot of my games at 1600 x
1200 with 2-4x AA and 8x AF without much of a prob and thats a poor ole 9800
pro.

Both companies make cards and each has different +/-'s.

+'s for ATI
• Low pwr consumption (no need to buy a new 480 watt PS
• Single slot solution
• Decent driver support (contrary to some like Ryan's opinion)
• IQ, it can be debated but my personal opinion is ATI's better (YMMV)
• Really burns thru games out today
• New 3dc maps (which ATI is making avail for free along with tools to all
developers)
• ATI's new card will work well in shuttle systems due to way less heat and
lower pwr need
• ATI also makes its cards as well as other companies doing so
• SRP for the pro which can get close to if not match the 6800 is $399, $499
is for the Top card that kicks NV's butt

-'s for ATI
• No PS3 (debatable if its even of value till next yr)
• No buzzsaw of a fan filling the room with WHHIRRRRRRRR
(Dont deny it my 5200 and 5600 were both bad at that)
• Ogl needs work but even tho slower than Nv's its still outragously fast
and playable compared to old cards

+'s for Nvidia
• Can do PS3
• the 6800 is at least an improvement over the FX line
• Has better Ogl (at least for now)

-'s for Nvidia
• Is not a single slot solution
• Will require many to buy a new expensive PSupply to handle the 480 ps
recommendation of Nvidia
• Is so pwr hungry it takes 2 Molex connectors
• Fan will most likely be just like the FX line ie a Buzzsaw when really
pumping 3D
• Gets tied in games with the ATI mid range Pro card and topped by the
Platinum version
• These cards WILL NOT WORK for shuttle systems
• Nvidia only makes Chips not cards so don't hold breath for support from
Nvidia
• Nvidia's rep for "Optimizing" leaves a real nasty taste in the mouth.
• Extreme heat producer on top of it.

Now way back I used Nvidia cards only, starting with the Velocity 128 then a
TnT, then a gf3U, then I tried 2 FX models (5200 and 5600) before I ever
gave ATI a shot with a 9800 pro someone gave me as a gift so I think its
fair to say I've been on both sides of the fence. After trying the ATI card
I swore off the Nvidia buy wagon. The IQ was just so much better, the
crashes non existant, the support much better, the drivers more reliable
with my ATI. Maybe someday Nvidia will put out a card I see as valuable to
me but at this point they couldnt give me a 6800, id rather keep my 9800
till end of month when Im buying what I feel is the best card for
today/tomorrow x800 XT PE.

In the end buy whatever you like/trust. For me thats an ATI card.

Just Jess

Old May 7th 04, 02:12 AM
Slug

On Thu, 6 May 2004 17:53:57 -0400, "Ryan Atici"
wrote:

When reliability is the major issue, I would never, EVER get any ATI video
card. Can you imagine paying $500 for an ATI video card and not having
stable operating system because of flaws in the video card driver?

It is a given fact that none of the ATI video cards are as reliable and
crash-free as the NVIDIA video cards. Because of driver problems, ATI video
cards cause problems. Sometimes with some games, ATI video cards freeze the
operating system.

On the other hand, NVIDIA CARDS are rock solid with stability. I just read
the recent benchmarks. NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI
X800. I would definitely get NVIDIA 6800 rather than paying $500 for an ATI
video card and having my operating system crash all the time.

Yea, that's why one of the review sites refused to use the latest
forceware drivers on the 6800u. They said the latest forceware drivers
were absolute ****. They also said the X800 ran with no issues on the
CAT 4.5 drivers provided by ATI. Dumbass troll.