Hd sleep mode

Old June 24th 04, 09:03 AM
rays

Default Hd sleep mode

is better to set HD in sleep mode or not??

Old June 24th 04, 02:35 PM
Capt Ron

Sleep mode is fine, just don't set the duration too short. I have seen
system where it was set to enter sleep mode after 5 minutes of inactivity.
It is just a pain because the drive take a few seconds to activate. I would
set it 30 minutes if not more.

Old June 25th 04, 06:01 PM
dg

I leave them as "ALWAYS ON". By the way, I think all RAID controllers in
existence leave the drives powered up all the time-the folks who make high
end raid cards are very conscious of reliability so I suspect it is OK to do
so.

If it makes you feel any better, I have been around computers for a long
time and in my experience, the drive lifetime is not affected by leaving the
drive on ALL the time 24-7. It wouldn't be out of the question to theorize
that turning a drive on and off all the time is actually harder on the drive
than just leaving it powered up. But I could be wrong. Don't believe that
any treatment you give your drive will make it last longer-any drive could
go at any time.

--Dan

"rays" wrote in message
. ..
is better to set HD in sleep mode or not??

Old June 27th 04, 05:17 AM
Bob Davis

"dg" wrote in message
[...]

That is the neverending argument, and I've never heard convincing evidence
to support either method as being superior. A friend leaves his machines on
24/7 and I turn mine off at night only. Neither of us have had more than
spotty HD problems over the years, and for me in the past 10 years or so
only one Deathstar has failed out of 13 drives currently running on three
computers (six are in mobile racks for Ghosting, rotated once per week, and
aren't powered up but once every six weeks for 15 minutes).