Does ATI Radeon 4850 and 4870 have fullscreen TV output (fullscreen overlay)?

Old November 14th 08, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

Default Does ATI Radeon 4850 and 4870 have fullscreen TV output (fullscreen overlay)?

Hi.

Just wondering since the newest NVIDIA cards and drivers don't support
it. I was wondering if this the same for the newer ATI video cards.

Thank you in advance.
--
"I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )
Old November 14th 08, 03:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"Ant" wrote in message
m...
Hi.

Just wondering since the newest NVIDIA cards and drivers don't support
it. I was wondering if this the same for the newer ATI video cards.

Thank you in advance.

Don't all recent cards support this, or I don't know what you mean?
Here's some bits from ati web site:
http://ati.amd.com/products/Radeonhd4800/specs.html

a.. Two independent display controllers
a.. Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions,
refresh rates, color controls and video overlays for each display
b.. Full 30-bit display processing
c.. Programmable piecewise linear gamma correction, color correction,
and color space conversion
d.. Spatial/temporal dithering provides 30-bit color quality on 24-bit
and 18-bit displays
e.. High quality pre- and post-scaling engines, with underscan support
for all display outputs
f.. Content-adaptive de-flicker filtering for interlaced displays
g.. Fast, glitch-free mode switching
h.. Hardware cursor
a.. Two integrated dual-link DVI display outputs
a.. Each supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all
resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link
DVI)2
b.. Each includes a dual-link HDCP encoder with on-chip key storage
for high resolution playback of protected content3
a.. Two integrated 400 MHz 30-bit RAMDACs
a.. Each supports analog displays connected by VGA at all resolutions
up to 2048x15362
a.. DisplayPort output support
a.. 24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x16002
a.. HDMI output support
a.. All display resolutions up to 1920x10802
b.. Integrated HD audio controller with support for stereo and
multi-channel (up to 7.1) audio formats, including AC-3, AAC, DTS,
DTS-HD & Dolby True-HD4, enabling a plug-and-play audio solution over
HDMI
a.. Integrated AMD XilleonT HDTV encoder
a.. Provides high quality analog TV output
(component/S-video/composite)
b.. Supports SDTV and HDTV resolutions
c.. Underscan and overscan compensation
a.. Seamless integration of pixel shaders with video in real time
a.. VGA mode support on all display outputs

Old November 14th 08, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"Ant" wrote in message
m...
Hi.

Just wondering since the newest NVIDIA cards and drivers don't support
it. I was wondering if this the same for the newer ATI video cards.

Thank you in advance.
--
"I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book
"Terry by her father"
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )

This happens to be a pet-peeve of mine. I hate it when the broadcast
station sends out a 1080i broadcast program and their is a black band on all
four sides of the picture. WHY? Why waste the real-estate of the monitor
like this? What idiot put this together. I hope when February 14th comes
around that perhaps the broadcasts will settle down and use the proper
cropping of their programs for monitor viewing. It is a mess right now.

1080i, 780i, 16x9, 4x3, wide, tall, zoom, zoom with height centering, just
scan - its a mess.

Oh, as far as your question on overlay, I don't think anyone does anymore.
The word "Fullscreen" might be misleading, your monitor should have H&V
shift and size adjustments for "fullscreen" placement and fullscreen
adjustments.

William

Old November 15th 08, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

William wrote:

"Ant" wrote in message
m...
Hi.

Just wondering since the newest NVIDIA cards and drivers don't support
it. I was wondering if this the same for the newer ATI video cards.

Thank you in advance.

This happens to be a pet-peeve of mine. I hate it when the broadcast
station sends out a 1080i broadcast program and their is a black band on all
four sides of the picture. WHY? Why waste the real-estate of the monitor
like this? What idiot put this together. I hope when February 14th comes
around that perhaps the broadcasts will settle down and use the proper
cropping of their programs for monitor viewing. It is a mess right now.

17th.

1080i, 780i, 16x9, 4x3, wide, tall, zoom, zoom with height centering, just
scan - its a mess.

Oh, as far as your question on overlay, I don't think anyone does anymore.
The word "Fullscreen" might be misleading, your monitor should have H&V
shift and size adjustments for "fullscreen" placement and fullscreen
adjustments.

I am OK with borders, but I do want aspect ratios corrected. NVIDIA does
that and their latest cards and drivers dropped this!
Old November 15th 08, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

Fullscreen overlay = play any video fullscreen on TV/monitor. I have a
15 years old CRT TV. I was wondering if it can be fullscreen for videos
without using clone, dualview, etc.

Old November 22nd 08, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mr. Toast

"William" wrote in
acquisition:

"Ant" wrote in message
m...
Hi.

Just wondering since the newest NVIDIA cards and drivers don't
support it. I was wondering if this the same for the newer ATI video
cards.

Thank you in advance.
--
"I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book
"Terry by her father"
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web
Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):
| |http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by
e-mail.
( )

This happens to be a pet-peeve of mine. I hate it when the broadcast
station sends out a 1080i broadcast program and their is a black band
on all four sides of the picture. WHY?

So it has the corect aspect ratio. I hate 4:3 content stretched to 16:9
so like it that way. There should be an option in your HD box to control
this so you can have 4:3 content stretched to full screen. Mine does. My
HDPVR also has a button on the remote that allows me to zoom 4:3 to full
screen but that cuts some of the image off the top and bottom.

Old November 22nd 08, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
William

"Mr. Toast" wrote in message
"William" wrote in
acquisition:

"Ant" wrote in message
m...
Hi.

Just wondering since the newest NVIDIA cards and drivers don't
support it. I was wondering if this the same for the newer ATI video
cards.

Thank you in advance.
--
"I go out of my way to avoid stepping on ants." --Terry McGovern,
daughter of Senator George and Eleanor McGovern, subject of the book
"Terry by her father"
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web
Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):
| |http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by
e-mail.
( )

This happens to be a pet-peeve of mine. I hate it when the broadcast
station sends out a 1080i broadcast program and their is a black band
on all four sides of the picture. WHY?

So it has the corect aspect ratio. I hate 4:3 content stretched to 16:9
so like it that way. There should be an option in your HD box to control
this so you can have 4:3 content stretched to full screen. Mine does. My
HDPVR also has a button on the remote that allows me to zoom 4:3 to full
screen but that cuts some of the image off the top and bottom.

The point is they should strip off the top and bottom padding of the screen
and allow the video to resort back to no padding at all. I know what is
happening, the original program source is a 16:9 program fitted with fill
bars on the top and bottom so they will fit a 4:3 aspect ratio TV. This is
then broadcast to a digital TV running at 16:9. Instead of stripping off
the padding on the top and bottom to fill the 16:9 screen as the original
content was meant to be viewed, they padded the left and right sides of the
screen to fit the now 16:9 screen- hence blinders on all four sides of the
video. Its just lazy control of the video cropping for broadcast. You can
confirm this by turning up the brightness of the TV, you will see the top
and bottom padding are a different black level then the left and right
padding. Instead of removing the original padding as they should have, the
added a second set.

It's a joke trying to set the width on a digital TV. When I watch the local
news, I see full screen 16:9, cut to network at 4:5, commercials at 4:5
letter box, back to local news at 16:9. It's a joke. I gave up trying to
keep my TV screen filled and just run it at "just scan" and leave it their.
It will get better once the old format fades away over time.

William