What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

Old July 1st 08, 03:33 PM posted to comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hadron

Default What Linux distro to use for old Intel machine, that fits on CDs?

On 2008-06-29, raylopez99 wrote:
On Jun 28, 5:38ÂÂÂÂ*am, Robert Heller wrote:

[deletia]
Yup. Mine too. I tend to play movies on the second head while
programming or playing COLA (by far the best RPG available for
Linux).. And the machine is still only ticking over. So I use the CPU

...must not be much of movie then.

Your clueless regarding video and video HW is simply gobsmacking in this
day and age.

Not really. Although I am satisfied to just let your comments speak for
themselves....

As they have done. I use a dual head, HW accelerated video card on a top
notch machine driving both a big plasma screen and a lcd monitor. I do

...try your dick waving with someone who cares and/or doesn't know
better.

We were discussing it with people who cared. Until you hopped in with
your usual misinformation and hot air. You're not related to Mark Kent
are you?

--
"Off the top of my head, I can't tell you which sites. They are ones that
throw up some kind of dialog, I change the user agent and look at them
Old July 5th 08, 05:03 PM posted to comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.advocacy
TJ

raylopez99 wrote:

Tell me seriously, hell-fire and brimstone boy, do you actually use
Linux? Does it ever crash on you? How often? Windows NT and 2000
are super stable--I've rarely gotten the BSOD except when first
configuring stuff on it. Once stable, it's stable. Is Linux the
same?

In over six years of using Linux on an almost daily basis, on three
separate machines, I have NEVER had Linux crash. I have had some
improperly-designed Flash-based websites crash Firefox, but it always
goes back to the KDE desktop. I repeat - Linux has NEVER crashed on me.

I can't say the same for Windows.

TJ
Old July 5th 08, 05:38 PM posted to comp.os.linux.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Andrew Halliwell

In comp.os.linux.advocacy TJ wrote:
raylopez99 wrote:

Tell me seriously, hell-fire and brimstone boy, do you actually use
Linux? Does it ever crash on you? How often? Windows NT and 2000
are super stable--I've rarely gotten the BSOD except when first
configuring stuff on it. Once stable, it's stable. Is Linux the
same?

In over six years of using Linux on an almost daily basis, on three
separate machines, I have NEVER had Linux crash. I have had some
improperly-designed Flash-based websites crash Firefox, but it always
goes back to the KDE desktop. I repeat - Linux has NEVER crashed on me.

I can't say the same for Windows.

Indeed. I've had X crashes, I've had app crashes...
But the only time I've ever seen a kernel panic was with a badly setup
LILO/GRUB, duff RAM or other hardware problem.

Oh, tell a lie, 5 years ago I tried a linmodem and that driver caused a
panic when it had to dialin a second time...

Watch as the wintrolls leap on this linmodem driver as proof of linux's
instability, even though the driver wasn't part of linux (and was 5 years
ago).

--
| ,uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
| Andrew Halliwell BSc | |