good 64 bit linux distro and apps?

Old July 5th 05, 01:21 AM

Default good 64 bit linux distro and apps?

So what are some really good 64 bit Linux programs?
And what is a good 64 bit Linux distro?
I've toyed around with redhat on my 32 bit machine in the past but I've
never found a reason to actually use Linux for anything so I got rid of it.
The idea seems good but the practicality just isn't there - unless I'm
missing something? But now that I've gotten a nice 64 bit machine (and
until MS comes out with a good 64 bit version of Flight Simulator, I am not
going to "upgrade" to xp-64 just yet) I've been wondering if 64 bit Linux
has anything worthwhile to offer. Is there any reason to bother with trying
out 64 bit Linux?
Roy

ps (I'm not out to start another flame war here - serious posters only!)

Old July 5th 05, 07:09 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:21:06 -0400, a wrote:

So what are some really good 64 bit Linux programs?

To do what? All the programs that come with the distro will be 64 bit.

And what is a good 64 bit Linux distro?

I've only used one. Mandriva 2005LE.

I've toyed around with redhat on my 32 bit machine in the past but I've
never found a reason to actually use Linux for anything so I got rid of it.
The idea seems good but the practicality just isn't there - unless I'm
missing something?

The main reason I use it is because it isn't MS. Meaning it was written to
be a viable multi-user OS with the underlying structure that Tom , Dick
and Harry can't screw up the system with viruses. And since it is open
source and free doesn't hurt either. Not that that really matted much as I
ran OS/2 prior to Linux and it was more expensive than Windows, but also
was/is a viable virus free OS. But hardware support pretty much killed it
being closed source.

But now that I've gotten a nice 64 bit machine (and
until MS comes out with a good 64 bit version of Flight Simulator, I am
not going to "upgrade" to xp-64 just yet) I've been wondering if 64 bit
Linux has anything worthwhile to offer. Is there any reason to bother
with trying out 64 bit Linux?

Probably not for you.

ps (I'm not out to start another flame war here - serious posters only!)

I'm not sure I believe this. Too many Linux negative remarks. if you
really want to try Linux, there's no need to post about the worthyness
of it, just do it.

Old July 5th 05, 03:20 PM
keith

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 20:21:06 -0400, a wrote:

So what are some really good 64 bit Linux programs?

Pan works well. ;-)

And what is a good 64 bit Linux distro?

I've been using SuSE 9.1 for a little over a year. Seems fine.

I've toyed around with redhat on my 32 bit machine in the past but I've
never found a reason to actually use Linux for anything so I got rid of it.

What did you want to "use" it for? Curing the common cold? World peace?

The idea seems good but the practicality just isn't there - unless I'm
missing something? But now that I've gotten a nice 64 bit machine (and
until MS comes out with a good 64 bit version of Flight Simulator, I am not
going to "upgrade" to xp-64 just yet) I've been wondering if 64 bit Linux
has anything worthwhile to offer. Is there any reason to bother with trying
out 64 bit Linux?

Personal improvement? Breaking the Redmond habit? Avoiding malware?

ps (I'm not out to start another flame war here - serious posters only!)

You can't be serious! ;-)

--
Keith
Old July 5th 05, 08:09 PM
Dakota650r

Maybe I should phase this differently:
What are some 64 bit linux equivalents for the following apps?
Internet Explorer
Outlook
Outlook Express
iTunes
PowerDVD
ACDSee
Winamp
Quicktime
Picasa
Yahoo Messenger
Windows Messenger
Norton Antivirus
Spybot SD
ZoneAlarm
Microsoft Office 2003
The Myst games
MS Flight Sim
Winzip
O&O Defrag
Adobe Acrobat
Windows Media Player 10

I'm not expecting anyone to have all the answers or to even recognize half
these progs, but these are the ones I use all the time.

For another question:
I've always admired OS 10's Aqua interface. Is there a Linux out there with
a similar interface?

Old July 5th 05, 09:47 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:09:54 -0400, Dakota650r wrote:

Maybe I should phase this differently:
What are some 64 bit linux equivalents for the following apps?

This is a couple of years old but should help.

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-l...en/table.shtml

Internet Explorer

Mozzilla, Netscape, Firefox, Konqueror, and a few others
Outlook
Outlook Express

Mozzila mail, kmail, and about 10 more.
iTunes

Don't do music. Don't know. Don't care.:-)
PowerDVD

Totem, Mplayer, Xine, others.
ACDSee

GTKsee, others? I think there's a few.
Winamp

don't know it.
Quicktime

yeah, there;s a quicktime player
Picasa

isn't that Picaso? Never heard of it.
Yahoo Messenger

Xchat? I really never use this stuff, but I know there are more than one.
Windows Messenger

Sorry i don't remember what this is. There are several messanger apps
though.
Norton Antivirus

You don't need a virus program for linux unless you just want to remove
the window viruses from stuff that passes through your system and then
there's several free ones. I don't use one.
Spybot SD

ditto.
ZoneAlarm

Don't recall the name.
Microsoft Office 2003

Open office and a conglomeration of other office type apps.
The Myst games

Never heard of it.
MS Flight Sim

Never saw it. There's at least one linux flight sim.
Winzip

There's many of these, that support all the compression protocols. I
usuall use Ark.
O&O Defrag

Linux doesn't need defragging, but there is a defragger I heard about.
Adobe Acrobat

Adobe Acrobat Reader, and several other pdf displayers. You can generate
pdf files with several Linux apps.
Windows Media Player 10

One or more of the players plays windows media files.

I'm not expecting anyone to have all the answers or to even recognize
half these progs, but these are the ones I use all the time.

For another question:
I've always admired OS 10's Aqua interface. Is there a Linux out there
with a similar interface?

I don't know what the Aqua Interface is. Water fountain maybe?:-)

Old July 5th 05, 10:48 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:09:54 -0400, Dakota650r wrote:

Maybe I should phase this differently:
What are some 64 bit linux equivalents for the following apps?
Internet Explorer

Firefox, Even on Windows you would be much better off using Firefox for
most of your browsing.

Outlook
Outlook Express

Evolution. Does everything the Outlook does except spread virues. It can
even talk to MS Exchange Server.

iTunes
PowerDVD
ACDSee
Winamp
Quicktime
Picasa

Totem, Mplayer, Realplayer

Yahoo Messenger
Windows Messenger

Don't use this stuff, but I think GAIM (which is AOL compatible) dise this
Norton Antivirus
Spybot SD
ZoneAlarm

Completely unnecessary. There are all sorts of antivirus tools for Linux
servers that support Windows clients but there are no Linux viruses. I
think Zonealarm is also a firewall. Linux has very sophisticated
firewalling capabilities. All of the major distros include it.

Microsoft Office 2003

OpenOffice. You can also run MS Office on Linux machines if you buy
Win4Lin9x which allows you to host Win98 on top of Linux. Win4Lin9x runs
at native speeds. I use it for MSOffice, Acrobat, Framemaker, Quicken.

The Myst games
MS Flight Sim

Don't know

Winzip

gzip, bzip2.

O&O Defrag

Is this a disk defragger? Linux file systems don't fragment.

Adobe Acrobat

Acrobat. There is a Linux Acrobat reader client. OpenOffice 2 can write
PDF files.

Windows Media Player 10

Mplayer

I'm not expecting anyone to have all the answers or to even recognize
half these progs, but these are the ones I use all the time.

For another question:
I've always admired OS 10's Aqua interface. Is there a Linux out there
with a similar interface?

What do you like about Aqua. There are a million interfaces for Linux, all
of them themeable. I use Gnome which works fine.
Old July 6th 05, 12:22 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:09:54 -0400, Dakota650r wrote:

Maybe I should phase this differently:
What are some 64 bit linux equivalents for the following apps?
Internet Explorer

Firefox, Even on Windows you would be much better off using Firefox for
most of your browsing.

Lessee.. Firefox, Opera, Konquerer, links, lynx...

Outlook
Outlook Express

Evolution. Does everything the Outlook does except spread virues. It can
even talk to MS Exchange Server.

iTunes
PowerDVD
ACDSee
Winamp
Quicktime
Picasa

Totem, Mplayer, Realplayer

XMMS.
Yahoo Messenger
Windows Messenger

Don't use this stuff, but I think GAIM (which is AOL compatible) dise this

You're quite correct. GAIM handles those above, plus the
jabber, IRC, AOL, and ICQ protocols, plus more.

The Myst games
MS Flight Sim

XPlane. even more so, that it's approved by the FAA for pilot
training.

Winzip

gzip, bzip2.

O&O Defrag

Is this a disk defragger? Linux file systems don't fragment.

Adobe Acrobat

Acrobat. There is a Linux Acrobat reader client. OpenOffice 2 can write
PDF files.

Windows Media Player 10

Mplayer

I'm not expecting anyone to have all the answers or to even recognize
half these progs, but these are the ones I use all the time.

For another question:
I've always admired OS 10's Aqua interface. Is there a Linux out there
with a similar interface?

Try any of the windows managers themes.. Search for Aqua at
http://themes.freshmeat.net.

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.sbcglobal.net/~tyketto

Old August 14th 05, 05:36 PM
Doug Lynn

Hi, don't fool your self, the virus hackers are writing virus for all OS,
just had not gotten to Linux yet.

news

Old August 14th 05, 08:47 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 12:36:39 -0400, Doug Lynn wrote:

Hi, don't fool your self, the virus hackers are writing virus for all OS,
just had not gotten to Linux yet.

And this from a Linux expert that runs what, Windows.:-) There are no
damaging linux viruses. The only virus software for Linux scans for
Windows viruses so linux servers can protect you windows users. Here's
some good info on Linux virus for people that want to know the truth.

http://librenix.com/?inode=21

I've had a home computer since 1980. Never used virus protection software
and have never had a virus on my machines. Perhaps that's because I went
from DOS to OS/2, to Linux and have never viewed windows as a feasible OS.