flexatxstc bro essential 700c

Old January 18th 09, 08:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
stuck0n700c

Default flexatxstc bro essential 700c

I was given an older flexatxstc bro essential 700c with the hard drive
reformated. I can't get the pc to read the intsillation cds I have. I
have a dell re-instalation dc, and a windows 95 cd. when I use my system
restore cd from a sony vaio it reads the cd but obviously won't accept
it as it's not a sony viao pc, but this tells me the cdrom is working.
Boot prioritys are 1st, cd rom, 2nd, removable device, and 3rd, hard
drive. Any suggestions on how to get the cdrom to read iether of my cds,
or any suggestions on a recovery disk that will work?

Old January 23rd 09, 05:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Windows 95 and 98 CDs are generally not startable, so they won't help you a
whole lot. If you intend to install Windows 95 or 98, you will need a boot
diskette that starts the computer and sets it up enough so that the CD-ROM
drive is recognized.

Some might differ with me on this, but if I were certain that the system
could handle a newer operating system like Windows 2000, I'd find a
secondhand copy of that for sale cheap somewhere (be sure it's legal) and
use it as a light duty or secondary computer. I have one of these systems
that is still in some active use. Windows 2000 will start from its
installation CD.

You might also take the opportunity to try Linux, if you're curious about
it. It too can breathe some new life into an old computer.

Either option will need at least 128MB of installed RAM (and in reality,
more is better) to work well.

William (hates to throw anything that works out)

Old January 23rd 09, 03:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In news:xYcel.539698$yE1.157025@attbi_s21,
William R. Walsh typed on Fri, 23 Jan 2009 05:54:37 GMT:
[...]
[...]

Well I have a original Windows 95 Upgrade CD and a Windows 98SE generic OEM
CD and they both are bootable. And all retail versions should be bootable.
OEMs on the other hand may or not be. I have some branded OEM versions too
and they are not bootable. Is this different than your experience?

I also have two Toshiba 2595XDVD ('99 era) laptops. They originally came
with Windows 98FE. One I put Windows 98SE and the second one I put Windows
2000 on it. Both I upgraded to 192MB of RAM (Celeron 400MHz). The 98 one,
besides running out of resources very quickly, runs very well. The W2K one,
doesn't have the system resource problem, but it can be very sluggish.
Worse, it can only handle 100kps video. While the W98SE one can handle over
700kps. So I have very mixed feelings about whether to put W98SE or Windows
2000 on an older machine.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2