Windows 10 on AMD X2 3800+ ?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 5th 19, 12:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Windows 10 on AMD X2 3800+ ?

Going to make a "live" record of what's happening:

1. I stuck the USB flash stick into laptop.
2. Turned it on.
3. Repeatedly pressed F12 to get to boot menu, I was kinda ****ed how fast I have to do it, so I kept pressing it over and over again.
4. Then I noticed an odd flickering of the boot menu, I already had a hunch this can't be good.
5. Then continued booting from USB Stick.
6. Funny enough Windows Setup crashed with a blue screen: "Attempting to boot from VHD failure or something"

So noticing the strange flickering I decided to try again:

1. Restart computer.
2. Press F12 just a few times.
3. Start windows in safe mode, just to see if safe mode can install windows.
4. The cyborg eye of windows 7 shows and finally it says: cannot install windows in safe mode.

So I try again:

1. Restart laptop.
2. Press F12 a few times.
3. Boot from usb stick.
4. Now cyborg eye comes on again and it's installing... currently at 68%

So strangely enough now it seems to be installing correctly, onto itself which is kinda amazing.

This may have to do with something special that WinToUSB does.

And I used to computers/software failing occasionally for unknown reasons... non-deterministic bugs, event driven bugs.

Always good to try again and cause events in a different more mellow order, and this proves it can work if done "gently" Wish is kinda funny.

However I have no idea yet if this setup/usb stick will work in my main computer.

What I am after is this:

1. I want to try and update Windows 7 completely including the "platform update".

I suspect that platform update might be necessary to run certain games successfully perhaps Battlefront 2 as well.

However it's an illegal/downloaded version. Perhaps it just doesn't work.
But for now I want to keep trying to see how far it can get.

If all fails I may start a windows debugger and debug the EXE of Battlefront 2 to see if I can tell/see where it crashes.

Now the annoying thing with this installation process is:

2. Windows installer resets the laptop... and since I was typing this and I also completely forgot to press F12 again to make it go back into usb stick.

But ok...

So now going to restart computer again... kinda shame... bios cannot handle this byitself and stay in installation mode until it's done but ok.

I guess it's saver this way in case install to usb stick fails. For now not going to change boot order cause I want things to keep working normally after I am done with these experiments.

So this concludes the first part. I will continue after I restart the computer.

I think it's booting the original OS.. now the usb OS right now... so kinda hard to tell what it is actually doing which is kinda funny but also a bit... meh...

Oh well.

Could be nice if bios would show LOGO that "usb booting" is in procedure.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.