Windows 10 on AMD X2 3800+ ?

Old November 2nd 19, 01:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Windows 10 on AMD X2 3800+ ?

Hello,

I used WinToUSB to install Windows 10 on a 128 USB/Flash stick.

Windows 10 ISO used was:

en_windows_10_core_10240_x64_dvd.iso

(UnOfficial RTM)

During boot windows 10 hangs and a blue windows logo can be seen.

Nothing else happens. I waited for 45 mins or so before resetting this PC.

I then proceeded to complete the installation on a Toshiba L670 laptop.

And it installed beautifull and worked beautifull.

I then tried the same USB stick in an older laptop with iCore 3

This is an HP ProBook 4520s.

Here Windows 10 also works beautifull though a bit slower.

So after installation I tried the PC again and it seems like it hangs.

Perhaps I should wait a bit longer, but the circles indicating loading do not display. display should be larger enough to show them, so for now my conclusion is that for some reason Windows 10 hangs during boot on Winfast motherboard with AMD X2 3800+ processor ?!

Now I have two questions:

1. Has anybody successfully booted Windows 10 on an AMD X2 3800+ processor ?

2. Why does Windows 10 not boot and hang on this processor ?

Possible answers could be:

2.1 Missing instructions in processor.

2.2 Purposely build in blockade (read something about that long ago)

2.3 Some other strange issue.

2.4 Perhaps a newer ISO has a "fixed" Windows 10 software that might work ?

My Ultimate goal is to get Starwars Battlefront 2 working on this old PC, so you can see I am very keen on getting this working.

So far this game failed to launch on both laptops. Claiming RADEON drivers version 0.0.0 bug on Windows 7.

On windows 10 on toshiba this game simply crashes back to desktop without any errors.

I am kinda hoping this old game might work on AMD X2 3800+ system cause it has an NVIDIA GT 1030 graphics card.

Doom (reboot from 2016) for example did work to my amazement. (Installed it on an external usb harddisk 4.5 tb from seagate, quite cool).

My tips for USB harddisks:

1. Enable write-cache.

2. Format to NTFS (exfat is crap driver/software/slow/freezes needs to allocate files completely when torrenting).

3. Find the fastest USB port on the computer by performing disk benchmark tests to test USB speed/connectivity limitations.

Fortunately all laptops seem to have 3 usb ports, so it's possible to have:

1. mouse attached
2. usb/stick with windows 10 attached.
3. usb harddisk with 4.5 tb attached.

Never thought I would need some many usb ports

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 02:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I found this thread:

https://www.tenforums.com/installati...on-reboot.html

It mentions the USB stick should be formatted FAT32.

However FAT32 completely sucks as it cannot support files larger than 4 GB.

So it would kinda be unusable to store the game on, however I did store the game on another usb drive, so that could circumvent this issue.

I re-formatted the USB stick to NTFS during my other game experiments.

Strangely enough WinToUSB did not re-format the stick as far as I can tell ?!

So this is where it now gets super strange and akward:

Let's suppose for a moment that it's the lack of FAT32 to blame ?!

1. Why would the toshiba laptop boot just fine into an NTFS usb stick ?

2. Why would the hp lapopt boot just fine into an NTFS usb stick ?

3. Why would the socket 939/amd x2 3800 pc/processor system not boot fine into an NTFS usb stick ?!

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Unless these laptops have a more advanced BIOS which can actually boot into NTFS paritions ?!

Does this even play a role ? I do believe Windows 10 always has two paritions at least according to WinToUSB:

A boot partition and a system parition.

I am not sure what the boot partition uses as a file system ?

Is that even correct ? File systems go into paritions ?

What is partition structure ?

Hmm this getting a bit confusion.

For now I re-fuse to believe it's a FAT32 issue ?! But it might be ?!

This could mean laptop manufacturers or bios developers had to pay Microsoft for NTFS licenses or something ?!

I don't believe manufacturers would want to pay such licenses unless it was somehow free.

So far now I call BULLISK/POPPYCOCK on this hypothesis.

But for now I thought it mention it in case there is some thruth to it ?????

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I will try out this FAT32 hypotheses by re-formatting the 128 GB usb flash stick with this special program, cause windows 7 is too retarded to format 128GB to FAT32, it says volume too big.

This tool can do it:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

Windows 7 can "read" a fat32 big usb stick though, apperently.

This will be interesting test.

Will use same iso... cause it might not require activation.

Maybe I should try other iso...but for now same one to see if it makes a difference.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

**** I just re-tried WinToUSB Free after re-formatting the USB stick to FAT32.

Now this WinToUSB program says:

"reformatting"

ARGH...

So apperently WinToUSB might be reformatting to NTFS ?! So I just threw away hours of work potentially.

But was interesting test anyway... going to continue with it for now.

Might need to try different software that uses FAT32 instead.

Just going to continue this Hasleo WinToUSB tool to see if it indeeds reformats to NTFS.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 03:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

**** **** ****.

I can already see it re-formatted to NTFS !

Both boot and system parition.

I can now try two different things:

1. Either find different Win2USB tool.

or

2. Try linux. I saw somebody mention he got SWBF2 working via dxvk.

I think I am going to try the linux root.

Cause I kinda have enough of this windows **** anyway...

Could be ****ty game though just not working, not sure yet.

Though I am going to try a different usb fat tool first...

Kinda curious...

But first gonna google if windows 10 can work with fat32 at all ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 2nd 19, 03:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Windows 10 can't even be installed on a fat32 partition ?!

Those guys at that link talking out of their ass as usually on the internet.

Time to give Windows 7 x64 iso a try just to see if my X2 computer can boot into usb stick at all !

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Wow WTF ?!

Only VHD installation possible with WinToUSB for Windows 7 x64 ?!

WTF ?!

Bios probably can't go into VHD... so this is useless ?!

Or is this limitations of this tool ?! very strange.

Not sure if this is gonna work... except if boot paritation somehow boots into vhd.. sounds fishy and probably not gonna work so waste of time...

Hmmm very strange... kinda surprised that it was possible for windows 10 ?!

Maybe cause windows 10 can boot from usb and windows 7 can't ? HUH ?!?

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

These are examples of hardware features needed for a
Windows 8.1 or a Windows 10 install today.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...loads/coreinfo

NX * Supports no-execute page protection
PAE * Supports 32-bit physical addresses
SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
CX16 * Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction
LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

Using the "coreinfo.exe" program, you can check.

Paul
Old November 2nd 19, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 8:28:15 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Not so sure this is true Paul... there are postings on internet that CX16 requirement is no longer required for windows 10 ?!

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old November 2nd 19, 07:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Ok I already had this tool installed by forgot about it, I think it was to check something with logical cores or just for the fun of it. But now I see it displays a lot more, could be interesting to post this to the internet:

Way below I will paste all

Here I will cut and paste the things you mentioned:

NX * Supports no-execute page protection
PAE * Supports 32-bit physical addresses
SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

What is missing is:

CX16

But I think you might be wrong about that !

It might have been like that at first but this requirement was removed later ?!

Here the supported:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
AMD64 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1, AuthenticAMD
HTT * Multicore
X64 * Supports 64-bit mode
NX * Supports no-execute page protection
PAE * Supports 32-bit physical addresses
PAT * Supports Page Attribute Table
PSE * Supports 4 MB pages
PSE36 * Supports 32-bit address 4 MB pages
PGE * Supports global bit in page tables
VME * Supports Virtual-8086 mode
FPU * Implements i387 floating point instructions
MMX * Supports MMX instruction set
MMXEXT * Implements AMD MMX extensions
3DNOW * Supports 3DNow! instructions
3DNOWEXT * Supports 3DNow! extension instructions
SSE * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions
SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
SSE3 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
MSR * Implements RDMSR/WRMSR instructions
MTRR * Supports Memory Type Range Registers
CMOV * Supports CMOVcc instruction
CLFSH * Supports CLFLUSH instruction
CX8 * Supports compare and exchange 8-byte instructions
FXSR * Supports FXSAVE/FXSTOR instructions
FFXSR * Supports optimized FXSAVE/FSRSTOR instruction
SEP * Supports fast system call instructions
LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
DE * Supports I/O breakpoints including CR4.DE
TSC * Supports RDTSC instruction
APIC * Implements software-accessible local APIC
MCE * Supports Machine Check, INT18 and CR4.MCE
MCA * Implements Machine Check Architecture
PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

Here the all:

C:\Tools\CoreInfocoreinfo

Coreinfo v3.31 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
Copyright (C) 2008-2014 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
AMD64 Family 15 Model 43 Stepping 1, AuthenticAMD
HTT * Multicore
HYPERVISOR - Hypervisor is present
VMX - Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
SVM - Supports AMD hardware-assisted virtualization
X64 * Supports 64-bit mode

SMX - Supports Intel trusted execution
SKINIT - Supports AMD SKINIT

NX * Supports no-execute page protection
SMEP - Supports Supervisor Mode Execution Prevention
SMAP - Supports Supervisor Mode Access Prevention
PAGE1GB - Supports 1 GB large pages
PAE * Supports 32-bit physical addresses
PAT * Supports Page Attribute Table
PSE * Supports 4 MB pages
PSE36 * Supports 32-bit address 4 MB pages
PGE * Supports global bit in page tables
SS - Supports bus snooping for cache operations
VME * Supports Virtual-8086 mode
RDWRFSGSBASE - Supports direct GS/FS base access

FPU * Implements i387 floating point instructions
MMX * Supports MMX instruction set
MMXEXT * Implements AMD MMX extensions
3DNOW * Supports 3DNow! instructions
3DNOWEXT * Supports 3DNow! extension instructions
SSE * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions
SSE2 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
SSE3 * Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
SSSE3 - Supports Supplemental SIMD Extensions 3
SSE4a - Supports Streaming SIMDR Extensions 4a
SSE4.1 - Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.1
SSE4.2 - Supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 4.2

AES - Supports AES extensions
AVX - Supports AVX intruction extensions
FMA - Supports FMA extensions using YMM state
MSR * Implements RDMSR/WRMSR instructions
MTRR * Supports Memory Type Range Registers
XSAVE - Supports XSAVE/XRSTOR instructions
OSXSAVE - Supports XSETBV/XGETBV instructions
RDRAND - Supports RDRAND instruction
RDSEED - Supports RDSEED instruction

CMOV * Supports CMOVcc instruction
CLFSH * Supports CLFLUSH instruction
CX8 * Supports compare and exchange 8-byte instructions
CX16 - Supports CMPXCHG16B instruction
BMI1 - Supports bit manipulation extensions 1
BMI2 - Supports bit manipulation extensions 2
ADX - Supports ADCX/ADOX instructions
DCA - Supports prefetch from memory-mapped device
F16C - Supports half-precision instruction
FXSR * Supports FXSAVE/FXSTOR instructions
FFXSR * Supports optimized FXSAVE/FSRSTOR instruction
MONITOR - Supports MONITOR and MWAIT instructions
MOVBE - Supports MOVBE instruction
ERMSB - Supports Enhanced REP MOVSB/STOSB
PCLMULDQ - Supports PCLMULDQ instruction
POPCNT - Supports POPCNT instruction
LZCNT - Supports LZCNT instruction
SEP * Supports fast system call instructions
LAHF-SAHF * Supports LAHF/SAHF instructions in 64-bit mode
HLE - Supports Hardware Lock Elision instructions
RTM - Supports Restricted Transactional Memory instructions

DE * Supports I/O breakpoints including CR4.DE
DTES64 - Can write history of 64-bit branch addresses
DS - Implements memory-resident debug buffer
DS-CPL - Supports Debug Store feature with CPL
PCID - Supports PCIDs and settable CR4.PCIDE
INVPCID - Supports INVPCID instruction
PDCM - Supports Performance Capabilities MSR
RDTSCP - Supports RDTSCP instruction
TSC * Supports RDTSC instruction
TSC-DEADLINE - Local APIC supports one-shot deadline timer
TSC-INVARIANT - TSC runs at constant rate
xTPR - Supports disabling task priority messages

EIST - Supports Enhanced Intel Speedstep
ACPI - Implements MSR for power management
TM - Implements thermal monitor circuitry
TM2 - Implements Thermal Monitor 2 control
APIC * Implements software-accessible local APIC
x2APIC - Supports x2APIC

CNXT-ID - L1 data cache mode adaptive or BIOS

MCE * Supports Machine Check, INT18 and CR4.MCE
MCA * Implements Machine Check Architecture
PBE - Supports use of FERR#/PBE# pin

PSN - Implements 96-bit processor serial number

PREFETCHW * Supports PREFETCHW instruction

Maximum implemented CPUID leaves: 00000001 (Basic), 80000018 (Extended).

Logical to Physical Processor Map:
*- Physical Processor 0
-* Physical Processor 1

Logical Processor to Socket Map:
** Socket 0

Logical Processor to NUMA Node Map:
** NUMA Node 0

No NUMA nodes.

Logical Processor to Cache Map:
*- Data Cache 0, Level 1, 64 KB, Assoc 2, LineSize 64
*- Instruction Cache 0, Level 1, 64 KB, Assoc 2, LineSize 64
*- Unified Cache 0, Level 2, 512 KB, Assoc 16, LineSize 64
-* Data Cache 1, Level 1, 64 KB, Assoc 2, LineSize 64
-* Instruction Cache 1, Level 1, 64 KB, Assoc 2, LineSize 64
-* Unified Cache 1, Level 2, 512 KB, Assoc 16, LineSize 64

Logical Processor to Group Map:
** Group 0

C:\Tools\CoreInfo

What's nice about this cpu is the larger 64 KB caches compared to today's 32 KB caches !

Bye,
Skybuck.